Worst movie you've ever seen?

WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
Always enjoy hearing everyone's favorites or must watch movies. But what about terrible movies? I don't mean disappointments I mean legit can't finish the movie or walked out of the theater? I'd say try and keep it spoiler free but we could be doing ourselves a favor.

My most recent ones would be Rings and Aloha. I just....

Man those were terrible.

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Funny enough. they just did a commission on it. Wicker Man.

id also say most of adam sandlers movies. 
    all of those stupid spoof movies like Meet the Spartans
    No Half Measures....
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The 20 minutes of Twilight that I managed before begging my then tween daughter for permission to turn it off (she'd already seen it a bunch of times so I wasn't depriving her).

I'm not sure if it's "worst", but my most hated movie is Independence Day. It's just the most stupid, bombastic, jingoistic pile of shit and thinking about it makes me rage.
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    Highlander 2 - that is probably the most "WTF" reaction I ever had to a movie I bought tickets to. 
    _____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Battlefield Earth

Travis
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• It wasn't the absolute worst movie, but...my friend and I were super excited to see the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie, 10-20 mins in and I realized that I wasn't liking it at all...a half hour in and I wanted to leave (and I almost never walk out on a movie that I've paid to see) but I stayed because my buddy was so excited to see it.  Afterwards, I found out that he was hating it too and only stayed because he thought I wanted to see it.

It wasn't the absolute worst movie, but...my friend and I were super excited to see the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie, 10-20 mins in and I realized that I wasn't liking it at all...a half hour in and I wanted to leave (and I almost never walk out on a movie that I've paid to see) but I stayed because my buddy was so excited to see it.  Afterwards, I found out that he was hating it too and only stayed because he thought I wanted to see it.

Colin and I have a story like that with the movie Something's Gotta Give- that came out when we were first living together and we had some kind of mild argument and had made up, but I was still annoyed, so he was trying extra hard to be nice, and suggested we go to a movie, and suggested that one. I thought he wanted to see it for some unknown reason (he has this huge catalog of actors, directors etc in his mind and sometimes watches random shit because they are in it), and since we had just had an argument I didn't want to "argue" more so I went along with it. It wasn't until we were in the interior line at ye olde multiplex that I asked why he wanted to see it and he said because he thought I would want to see it, LOL. Nope. But by then we had bought the tickets and I was so annoyed that I insisted we watch it out of pure stubbornness. It's a fairly ridiculous film and we were laughing at a lot of parts that the other moviegoers thought were serious and vice versa haha. So it turned into a funny memory, but I was pretty pissed for the first half of the movie, both that he would think I wanted to see it, and that we wasted time and money on it.
    CretanBull

Angie Kritenbrink

• "Manos The Hands of Fate"

Even the Mystery Science Theater guys had trouble making jokes about it at times.
  • ^ I've never seen that movie, but I was working in music publishing when it came out and remember it because it had two different soundtracks released by competing record labels (one was Warner, I forget who the other one was) because of some weird legal dispute.

Funny story...I wonder how often those types of stories happen and the people involved never discuss it so neither of them ever find out haha!

akritenbrinkDaveyMac
  • i'm not sure it's the worst i've ever seen but the only movie i ever walked out of in a theater was the jerky boys movie.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I have never walked out of a movie at a cinema but the ones that i rented hoping for a laugh but turned off 5 mins in was Paul Blart

The worst movie i ever saw at the cinema was Dungeons and Dragons. I never played the game but i worked at the cinemas at the time and they need to do a test screening. Its just trash
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Dee said:

The 20 minutes of Twilight that I managed before begging my then tween daughter for permission to turn it off (she'd already seen it a bunch of times so I wasn't depriving her).

I'm not sure if it's "worst", but my most hated movie is Independence Day. It's just the most stupid, bombastic, jingoistic pile of shit and thinking about it makes me rage.

What which Independence Day?

I don't know that a movie where the premise is we're fighting an existential war against invading aliens can be considered jingoistic in the context we normlly associate that word with
    Dee is Australian, if that helps.

Angie Kritenbrink

edited April 28

Dee said:

I don't know that a movie where the premise is we're fighting an existential war against invading aliens can be considered jingoistic in the context we normlly associate that word with
    Well... c'mon now.  The only thing that mattered was the Americans.  America killed the aliens.  No one else.  All other countries were literally sitting around waiting for America to figure stuff out.  All that comprises Not-America was an afterthought.  Jingoistic is an accurate adjective for that movie.   Bad is another.  Fun is another.
    _____
    -Anon.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    ^ What @akritenbrink and @trippy said. Minus the fun bit.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    trippy said:

Dee said:

Well... c'mon now.  The only thing that mattered was the Americans.  America killed the aliens.  No one else.  All other countries were literally sitting around waiting for America to figure stuff out.  All that comprises Not-America was an afterthought.  Jingoistic is an accurate adjective for that movie.   Bad is another.  Fun is another.
    I still don't think Jingoism is the right adjective. There's certainly a pro-US political message in it granted. But I think Jingoism is like the John Wayne film "the green berets" or even U-571 which took a real life raid by British sailors and completely Americanized it.

But a movie centrally set in the US, with the enemy being not even from this planet and intent on wiping us out? I don't feel that's the right term. Like if instead we were invading mars to spread democracy to the aliens I would accept that argument.... but as the movie took place. I have to respectfully disagree. And I also don't think it's s bad movie, I enjoyed both films for what they were.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @emnofseattle The whole movie is FUCK YEAH 'MERICA! Bill Pullman's speech sums that up. That right there is jingoism.
    trippy
  • Perhaps being American you're a little less aware or sensitive to it, but from an outsider looking in - that movie is chalk-full of what my father affectionately calls "American bullroar".  It goes beyond having a pro-US political message, it's wall to wall American exceptionalism and flag-waving (which doesn't bother me in the slightest btw).

Deetrippy
  • I got my Blockbuster borrowing privileges suspended by my friends for renting Invader with Hans Bachmann.  I thought I had read something in Entertainment Weekly about the movie.  Unfortunately it was utter direct to video dreck.  Not sure why it was billed as with Hans Bachmann, either.   

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104525/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk1
    I can't believe no one else is saying Battlefield Earth. LOL
    I was so angry with my then-boyfriend for making me go and honestly I should have known right then and there it was never going to work between us haha.

Angie Kritenbrink

• The Happening. Went to see it with my then future husband and brother-in-law, and we agreed the three of us should never again go to a movie together just in case it was somehow our fault. Haha.
    trippy
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I can't believe no one else is saying Battlefield Earth. LOL

I was so angry with my then-boyfriend for making me go and honestly I should have known right then and there it was never going to work between us haha.
    Look, you're not wrong. It's a terrible, terrible movie, but I kind of love it for how terrible it is. I mean, John Travolta literally throws his head back and goes, "MWAH HA HA HA!", and poor Forest Whittaker looks like the gay one of the Cowardly Lion's family.
    akritenbrinkTravis
  • Fifty Shades of Grey. Stopped watching after 30 minutes or so. I think it's the only time I've "walked out" while watching a movie. It's actually Twilight fan-fiction with the characters' names changed.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Nine Lives.

Believe me, when I heard the concept of Kevin Spacey voicing a cat, I was sold. But my god, it's just so bad. Awful, lazy, unfunny. Just a solid piece of crap.
  • Teen Wolf Two! I vowed way back in 1987 to punch Jason Bateman in the nuts if we ever crossed paths. The vendetta was dropped after the first season of Arrested Development.
    trippyVasilnate1DaveyMacTravis
  • Battlefield Earth

This, along with Batman and Robin.
    akritenbrink
  • edited May 20
    The only movie that made me walk out of the theater was "The Sitter" with Jonah Hill.

It's hard to say what the worst movie I've ever seen was (I've seen a lot of hot garbage at home) but that was only time I left a theater. I just didn't care how it ended and was bored out of my mind.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @trippy I will second Highlander 2, a sequel that goes off into a tangent no one asked for.  
  • Lucy. I've never seen a movie that made me angrier than that pile of trash. 
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    To the wonder by Terrence Malik. I so wanted to like it, and he is a great film maker, but this was the most prentetious piece of crap I've ever seen at a cinema. So wish I had walked out half way through as it is two hours long. Felt like five.
    Most of the movies on this list are dumb and stupid and know it. That is far preferable to movies that think they are intelligent and meaningful but are just smug, boring and derivative.
    Btw Americans say "the theater" when they go to watch a film. When they go to watch a play, where do they go? Or is it still the theater?
    When we go see a movie in america we go to the 'theater', pronounced 'theeAYder'.   When we go to a play, we go to the 'theatre', pronounced in a dick van dyke cockney accent 'theeuhTUH', and generally along with a few steps of a step-in-time chimney sweep dance.
    _____
    -Anon.