Pets

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
We talk about so many different things on the General board that I thought it would be fun to show off our pets. We have three cats:

Frida (female - 20 months old)

Dragon - Male, 7 years old

Jasper, unknown age but we think around 8-9 years old (he was a rescue, as all my cats are, but he was already full grown when we adopted him)

DeeDummyTaraC73HatorianFrakkin TOliviaDMichelleDani_ArmindoTravisjazzminawa
Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
akritenbrink on most social media

Comments

• Dragon looks like he gave his last F years ago haha!
    akritenbrinkTaraC73MichelleTravisNikkiP
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have no pets - I'm not a big animal person. I do love cats, but my daughter is allergic to them so I'm resigned to just patting random ones in the street. When she grows up and moves out I have plans to become a crazy cat lady.
    Michelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Dee said:

I have no pets - I'm not a big animal person. I do love cats, but my daughter is allergic to them so I'm resigned to just patting random ones in the street. When she grows up and moves out I have plans to become a crazy cat lady.

Maybe you could volunteer for a cat rescue in the meantime. I  used to be on the board of a small rescue and we did have volunteers who couldn't have cats at home for various reasons but they volunteered with us to get their  kitty time in.
    DeeMichelle

Angie Kritenbrink

• voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited April 29
    we have two cats.  they are named jessie (f, age 14) and gravy (m, age ~8) and they look like this:

and

respectively.  i used to really love cats before i had kids.  i still like them.
    DeeDummyVasilnate1OliviaD
    AHHH you have a tortie!! Torties are the best.

Angie Kritenbrink

• yep.  she's nuts.
    akritenbrink
    LOL, that's why I love them. 

Angie Kritenbrink

• DeeDee Adelaide

Dee said:

Maybe you could volunteer for a cat rescue in the meantime. I  used to be on the board of a small rescue and we did have volunteers who couldn't have cats at home for various reasons but they volunteered with us to get their  kitty time in.
    I like that idea, but I live in the city and don't drive, and all the animal rescue places here are way out in the boonies. I'm just patiently waiting for my alone time and then I'm going to swoop down on the kitties.
    akritenbrinkMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 30
    Miniature schnauzer Heinrich. Heinrich Herschel.

akritenbrinkMichelle
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 29
    When i was growing up I ended up winning like 5 gold fish at a county fair in my hometown where you throw a ping pong ball and if it lands in a cup you win a prize. I ended up taking them home and building them an aquarium. I took pretty good care of them but they didn't last too long. The weird thing was the 1 gold fish that survived the longest was the one that would follow the other fish and eat their shit as they pooped. I definitely was feeding them and cleaning the tank. i followed all the books but this dude would seriously swim behind his buddies and eat their shit. and he ended up living the longest. it was weird.

In terms of dogs and cats im alergic So ive never really had a dog or cat pet. My mom had a sausage dog after i moved out. pretty sure she replaced me :)

Besides the fish ive only really had one true pet. a Turtle named ET. She was originally my wife's but when we moved into together i adopted her. Unfortunately when my wife got pregnant we had to give it to a turtle farm because I broke my arm at the same time and couldn't clean the tank or manage the habitat and turtles are notorious for salmonella and we didn't want to risk it with her pregnancy and the kid.  We still get pictures from the guy who took ET and she seems to be in a good place now. he definitely runs a legit turtle farm where ET is probably much happier and healthier.

heres a pic. 

voodooratakritenbrinkTaraC73DummyVasilnate1OliviaDcdriveMichelleTravis
    No Half Measures....
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I have a goldfish. Originally I bought two, Molly and Margie (Fargo theme) however Margie died shortly after I got her so I only have Molly now
    Michelle
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I love pet pictures and stories :)

We used to have a 55 gallon fish tank, but we rehomed our fish and put the tank away for a while.

This pic shows 5 of our pets - 3 guinea pigs and 2 bunnies :) Snowflake is at the top right and her sister Zoe is the dark one on the top left at my daughter's elbow; Ariel is the orange one on her lap. Goldie bunny is the darker one and Lucky is the light colored one between my daughters. We lost Ariel a couple of weeks ago; she was approximately 6 years old (we got her two years ago from a neighbor)

These guinea pigs are very messy and pee anywhere they please so they are only allowed out of their cage on the kitchen hardwood, fenced in. out last pair of piggies lived to be 7, we had them for 3 years, they were potty trained (kind of) and never peed outside of their cage so they had a bit more freedom.

The bunnies pee in their cage, but poop anywhere - their poop is dry pellets and doesn't make a mess, we let them out every day, usually they are out when I get home from work til 9-10 at night. They do NOT have free reign of the house (some people treat their bunnies like cats!) because they chew on everything. We set the gate up around their cage sort of like a run so they can come and go from their cage... they sometimes get to run free, but they are fast and super chewy so it's not often (maybe 1x week) because they need to be followed closely.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here's my Jett. He's a coton de tulear, 9 years old. He's an awesome dog! Mellow, smart, loyal and cuddly!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DummyHatorianakritenbrinkhall1114voodooratVasilnate1OliviaDMichelleTravis
    Don't tell me what I can't do!
    @TaraC73 have you ever seen those super long hair guinea pigs? they are so weird and cute. I don't have patience for little critters like that but I love looking at pics of them.

Angie Kritenbrink

@akritenbrink yes - there were actually a bonded pair of long hair piggies when we went to the shelter to pick out snowflake and Zoe! My girls really wanted them, but knowing I would be the one who would have to brush them every other day I had to put my foot down. They were more creepy than cute, anyway :P
    akritenbrink
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Love a good pet thread! I have two cats, a four year old pair of sisters who we got from a rescue two years ago. They are short haired Selkirk Rex.

This is Edie, she never shuts up and will eat anything and everything given the chance, from suitable foods to plastic bags and elastic bands!

And this is Evie. Even though they are the same age, she very much feels like the older sister. A bit less adventurous and not so fussed about stealing every treat she can. She can also lay down the law, has been known to give her sister a slap around the face from time to time lol.

DummyakritenbrinkVasilnate1OliviaDTaraC73cdriveMichelleTravis
  • Can you post pics from mobile?
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited April 29
    gguenot said:

Can you post pics from mobile?

Upload pics to imgur from your mobile, then you can copy and paste url

Edit: maybe not? I swear I've done it before, but now I can't get it to work.
    TaraC73
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
    edited May 1
    This guy!... This is Caesar's favorite relax position
    DummyMichelleTravisjazzminawa
  • This guy!... This is Caesar's favorite relax position
    http://i.imgur.com/K956s9c.jpg

is that his dating profile pic?
    Vasilnate1akritenbrinkMichelle
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    edited April 29
    We have three cats. Cujo and Spider used to belong to my brother in law 4 years ago but he couldn't take care of them anymore (his new place didn't allow pets) so we adopted them. Both were strays he found by his old job. We adopted Arya from a local animal rescue as a kitten

Cujo (male, ~ 7 years old)

Spider (male, ~10 years old)

Arya (female, 3 years old)

Arya (top level) and Spider (lower level)

Spider and Cujo
    voodooratDummyTaraC73Vasilnate1akritenbrinkcdriveAlkaid13MichelleTravisjazzminawa
    I love that you have black cats! They are so hard to find homes for in rescue situations and they are not safe on the streets, especially in the fall (Halloween).
    TaraC73OliviaD

Angie Kritenbrink

If I could have cats, I would have black cats <3
    akritenbrink
    They are so gorgeous IRL. They don't photograph well, and of course people have their superstitions about them, so they languish in rescues.
    TaraC73

Angie Kritenbrink

"BLACK CATS MATTER!" #blackcatsmatter
    voodooratTaraC73akritenbrinkAlkaid13Michelle
  • "BLACK CATS MATTER!" #blackcatsmatter

#ninelivesmatter

Vasilnate1TaraC73akritenbrinkAlkaid13Michelle
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio

I love that you have black cats! They are so hard to find homes for in rescue situations and they are not safe on the streets, especially in the fall (Halloween).

Cujo was the first non black cat I've had as a pet. Even my childhood dog was a black lab.
    akritenbrink
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Gonna see if I can get this to work from my phone...
    Heinrich, Heinrickles eyes like nickels smells like pickles. He's 5 now.
    TaraC73OliviaDakritenbrinkDummyMichelleTravisNikkiP
  • in the middle right one it looks like he's saying something like "really, cdrive, we're having this discussion *again*?"
    cdriveTaraC73Michelle
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Great thread. I was going to post a pic of spencer but forgot he's already on my bald move profile pic! That should sum up how I feel about my crazy beagle.
    TaraC73Michelle
    Is there a good place that I can squanch around here?
    voodoorat said:

in the middle right one it looks like he's saying something like "really, cdrive, we're having this discussion *again*?"

The baby doesn't look too enthused either lol
    TaraC73cdrive

Angie Kritenbrink