Check out actress Ann Dowd (Patti from The Leftovers) in The Handmaid's Tale

Just watched the first three episodes of The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu and had to laugh when I realized that it was Ann Dowd reprising her Guilty Remnant persona of complete-bitch-you-wanna-punch as Aunt Lydia.  Check out the article about her at:

Elisa

Comments

• edited April 29
    Love me some Ann Dowd, so between her and Moss, I guess I'll check it out.  Awhile back I attended a screening of the indie film Wildlike with the director in attendance.  My mind was blown that he got Ann Dowd in that tiny film, which was right between The Leftovers, True Detective, Olive Kitteridge and Masters of Sex golden age TV.  She's rockin' an offbeat Midwestern accent, but it's definitely one of her least punchable roles.  The director said it was relatively easy getting Dowd and Bruce Greenwood, two pretty big deals in my mind, to sign on to such a small film.  Makes me respect her work even more in certain regards.
    Elisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Just a guess, but sometimes character actors like being in indie films as a change of pace. Character actors always have to be cognizant of the bottom line as well since they aren't making the big bucks all the time.
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• edited April 30
    Yeah, there's inevitably something to be gained on the bottom line.  But in the time you spent reading my posts and typing your response, you would've missed her role.  Maybe that better contextualizes my bemusement.
    akritenbrink
    Ah gotcha. I see what you mean. 

Angie Kritenbrink

• Ann Dowd is perfect as Aunt Lydia. What a great bit of casting.
    Elisa
  • I love me some Ann Dowd, or as A.Ron refers to her, Margot Martindale. ;-)
    akritenbrinkElisa
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
    I was wondering who he was talking about! I'm like... Margo Martindale is on the Americans, not this show lol

Angie Kritenbrink

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm face and name blind.  It's a wonder I function in society at all. 
    akritenbrink

I'm face and name blind.  It's a wonder I function in society at all. 

Certainly you must have a couple of redeeming characteristics? lol

Angie Kritenbrink