304 - Sabrosito

Director: Thomas Schnauz
Writer: Jonathan Glatzer

Comments

• Very good episode, enjoyed it beginning to end. If the backup tape is true, then it may help Jimmy I'm thinking. Loved seeing the judge/mediator as she played a role in principles (HBO). Mike being Mike is always good and is seeing the groundwork for his work with Gus and even a small part of how Gus become so big is intriguing. Not sure it won the week, but I was locked in this week for BCS.
    UnderwoodDaveyMac
  • edited May 2
    I'm enjoying everything, not really in the mood to rate it (though that can be interesting to discuss.)

I'm pretty sure I know where's Jimmy's going, and it's bad news for Chuck - he's a living, breathing fire hazard - a danger to himself - and will be institutionalized.

Jimmy's playing hardball - just like Chuck, and they're both doing to drag each other through the mud.  It doesn't bode well for Chuck - or for HHM, Mesa Verde, or anyone else.
  • I'm pretty sure Kim recorded Chuck there at the end about there being a back up tape. It wont help Jimmy keep his license but I think they will try to use it as a form of black mail. Kim implied that Chuck planned it all out to bait Jimmy and that Chuck set Jimmy up and Chuck smugly confirmed it by saying Jimmy destroyed the back up. I think Chuck will go down with Jimmy and they both will lose their licenses.

GeorgeDoubleA_RonMelia004
  • The photo of the lantern on the stack of newspapers leans toward Chuck living in conditions that are hazardous (a fire hazard) and is a danger to himself.  And Dr. Cruz will testify, remember she showed us that Chuck really doesn't have any sensitivity (when she turned on the juice to the medical system attached to Chuck's hospital bed  - and he had no reaction - back in Season 1, "Alpine Shephard Boy. "

So Chuck is either mentally ill or faking it.

I think Jimmy will be able to convince people that the cassette only shows he was only humoring a mentally ill Chuck, and that his outburst was related to a betrayal from a brother rather than the content of the tape.  The fact that Jimmy ran errands for Chuck for a long time (a couple of years by now in the show's time scale?) will loom large in Jimmy painting that picture.
  • Goddammit. Watching these week to week instead of a binge was a mistake. I don't want to wait another week!
    Murderbear
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I a lot of people have complained about this season (this show?) being a slow burn, but I love every second of it.  When the writing is as tight as this, I don't need 'action' to feel satisfied.
    UnderwoodDoubleA_RonDaveyMacjohnnyhandsMurderbear
  • I'm starting to think the idea of a weekly winner is crazy.  BCS vs The Leftovers is like Picasso vs Michelangelo.
    UnderwoodKevinTargaryen
  • i loved the rousing speech Gus gave to his employees. I kept waiting for patriotic music to begin swelling in the background. Damn, even Lyle was ready to take on the Cartel.
    UnderwoodDaveyMacMurderbearKevinTargaryen
  • edited May 2
    I'm calling total B.S. on Better Call Saul for their total departure from reality.  Absolutely NO WOMAN exists who is as smart, funny, fun, attractive and THAT UNDERSTANDING as Kim. I can't believe how much she is willing to go through with Jimmy.  Maybe she likes the challenge.  I don't know.   I am professing my love for her publicly now, but I fell for her a long time ago. 

The shot of Mike talking to Gus with the dark street between them was a very cool shot.  That dark street...does Mike want to cross it?  Because there is no going back.
    Melia004
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    That was a fantastic episode of television. After starting this season a little slow for my liking, the last two have been superb.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    It's amazing to me how fast these episodes are flying by given just how quiet and deliberate they are at times. I was thoroughly engrossed from the get-go and was bummed when it was over.

The cold open was great. 
    Loved all the Gus and Hector stuff. And the speech. 
    Nacho was back (too brief of an appearance for me, but love seeing him on screen.)
    Mike and Chuck were in a room together. 
    The PPD deposition?? Not sure what that meeting would be called was fantastic. 

Just a solid episode through and through. 
  • adobo1148 said:

i loved the rousing speech Gus gave to his employees. I kept waiting for patriotic music to begin swelling in the background. Damn, even Lyle was ready to take on the Cartel.

even if he told them the truth, they still would have ate it up. Partially out of inspiration, some out of mortal terror.
  • I literally squealed with glee when it sank in that I was about to see J. Banks and Mike McKean on screen together!

Anyone who wants to complain about plot pace--go watch Breaking Bad and tell me how exciting the start of season 3 was (besides Saul sticking it to the Pinkmans, which remains one of the highlights of my life ["Do you concur?"]), and then we get Hank following Jesse to the RV, and then fucking ONE MINUTE... Action is coming!

@Jmusick - The question is, I suppose, how does Saul Goodman practice law, in ABQ, if this upcoming Bar thing ends up with him losing his license? Cannot wait.

@Jujee - 100% agree about Kim. She is so smart it makes her more physically attractive, somehow.
    Jujee
  • @Melia004 I think every good TV show should have at least one Holy F moment every season, some have more.  To me the Hank scene from "One Minute" is the greatest HF scene in TV ever.  Even over Blackwater from GoT.  And yes, Kim's intelligence/personality definitely adds to the physical attractiveness.
    DoubleA_RonMelia004
  • They are definitely making us ship for Jimmy and Kim eh? That whole scene where she sidles up to him at his desk I was internally going "just tell her you love her and jump her bones aaaaaarrrggh!"

I'm in 100 percent agreement that Kim recorded that convo with Chuck and they will use it to show entrapment of some kind.

I'm with you A Ron, I HATE Chuck so much. I used to just find him pathetic but now? He's like King Geoffrey on GoT, I just want something truly horrible to happen to him immediately.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited May 2
    Loved the ep, but I can't imagine what it must have been like to watch all the Mike/Gus stuff for a non-Breaking Bad viewer.
    Melia004johnnyhands
  • Is there any significance to the wrangling over the "damaged" or " destroyed " wording during Jimmys hearing? Did Jimmy and Kim trick Howard and Charles into that wording, setting a trap for them later perhaps?
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited May 2
    I think the show is finally stacking its house of cards more than 1 story high... So while it's not faster-paced, you can see how one little thing going wrong will have more tragic cascading effects. 

That was the thing that Breaking Bad did so well-- stack the cards high and bask in the tension as its characters run around trying to keep it upright.

The only part I thought unnecessarily bogged down was Mike going to hang out with his daughter-in-law.  I feel like the entire point of that scene was for her to say the line-- "I shoulda let well enough alone."
    Doctor_NickMelonusk
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    adobo1148 said:

Is there any significance to the wrangling over the "damaged" or " destroyed " wording during Jimmys hearing? Did Jimmy and Kim trick Howard and Charles into that wording, setting a trap for them later perhaps?

If the property was destroyed, then what will Chuck play for the bar association? It will look super bad on Chuck having a second copy and essentially goading Jimmy into what he did. At least, that's what I'm assuming.
    tom_g
  • Oh right, that's perfect
  • 260crisco260crisco Indiana
    edited May 3
    Fucking loved the cold open! They definitely want to remind you of how we left Don Eladio in the end of season 4 breaking bad "salud". Hector's face to see all that cash that Fring's guys brought was fucking priceless!! I'm pretty sure I'm on board the Gus train at this point. Like Jim and ARon were saying, Gus is a "good" criminal. Even the way he handles his employees, (fucking incredible speech!!) and even Mike, he's just a good dude. Mike is so right in breaking bad, fucking hits the head on the nail when he says that Walt had a good thing with Fring. Just shows you how money can blind even the smartest men, (Gus, Mike) from realizing they are working with a lunatic like Walt. As far as Jimmy and Chuck go, Chuck is Fucked!! Saul has gone full blown slippin' Jimmy and there is part of Kim that fucking loves it!! Together they will be unstoppable. Chuck is the biggest unwashed asshole and it was so awesome to see Mike in there just fucking with him! My favorite episode this season so far!!
  • Melia004 said:

Anyone who wants to complain about plot pace--go watch Breaking Bad and tell me how exciting the start of season 3 was

Ain't that the truth! That's when I stopped watching Breaking Bad while it aired. I was afraid the show was going downhill. It sounds silly in hindsight. I even watched the first season of Better Call Saul before picking up Breaking Bad again. At least I got to binge watch the show from start (refreshing my memory) to the very end, which was quite the journey.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited May 3
    When Hector called Los Pollos Hermanos the "Butt Brothers" does this give more evidence to say that Gus and his partner had a more intimate relationship. Seems like in the cartel world referring to a gay couple as butt brothers would be seen as a major insult. But it's brilliant because one could also read this as Hector being jealous of the amount of product Gus is moving compared to him. This episode was fantastic.
    Doctor_Nick
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah

When Hector called Los Pollos Hermanos the "Butt Brothers" does this give more evidence to say that Gis and his partner had a more intimate relationship. Seems like in the cartel world referring to a fat couple as butt brothers would be seen as a major insult. But it's brilliant because one could also read this as Hector being jealous of the amount of product Gus is moving compared to him. This episode was fantastic.

came here just to say that. Definitely believe that is meant to show that Gus and Max were more than just business partners. 
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    When they introduced Gustavo Fring as a character I had 3 hopes--
    1) They would more strongly characterize his backstory, at least his pre-America country-hopping.
    2) They would articulate his character motivation regarding both dealing meth and Madrigal
    3) They would give him a character arc-- the progression between the fury of Max's death and Gale's entrance.

I feel like they are just drawing a straight line from Max's death to BB season 3.  Which is kinda sad.  Although they definitely have plenty of room to reflect on it in flashback... It seems that in the BCS present-tense, Gus's character-arc and motivations are already firmly established.
  • edited May 3
    This is what I was hoping for.  Adding Gus was almost always going to be a given going into this show, but giving Gus an arc that is more than just the stoic bad guy is fantastic.  I felt more range of emotion from Gus here than almost all of Breaking Bad.  I really hope more episodes give him up front pov treatment.  I want to see him scared and frustrated at playing the insanely deadly game he's playing, not just some hardened mastermind.  

That, along with Kim and Jimmy's lawyer-jitsu coming into full effect, has me giddy with delight.  Bring on episode 5!
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    amyja89 said:

Loved the ep, but I can't imagine what it must have been like to watch all the Mike/Gus stuff for a non-Breaking Bad viewer.

In what way? because I have never seen breaking bad (other then the pilot and a couple of the first episodes) and nothing looks off to me... 
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA

The photo of the lantern on the stack of newspapers leans toward Chuck living in conditions that are hazardous (a fire hazard) and is a danger to himself.  And Dr. Cruz will testify, remember she showed us that Chuck really doesn't have any sensitivity (when she turned on the juice to the medical system attached to Chuck's hospital bed  - and he had no reaction - back in Season 1, "Alpine Shephard Boy. "

So Chuck is either mentally ill or faking it.

I think Jimmy will be able to convince people that the cassette only shows he was only humoring a mentally ill Chuck, and that his outburst was related to a betrayal from a brother rather than the content of the tape.  The fact that Jimmy ran errands for Chuck for a long time (a couple of years by now in the show's time scale?) will loom large in Jimmy painting that picture.
    I was convinced Chuck was faking it. But I have since changed my view, after the encounter with Mike. 

I wonder how the pictures will play? since Jimmy obviously can't admit he hired someone to enter Chuck's house and photograph stuff, and how easy is this to unravel? as soon as those pictures show up I can imagine chuck having Howard call the contractor who will say the appointment was canceled? 
  • When Hector called Los Pollos Hermanos the "Butt Brothers" does this give more evidence to say that Gis and his partner had a more intimate relationship. Seems like in the cartel world referring to a fat couple as butt brothers would be seen as a major insult. But it's brilliant because one could also read this as Hector being jealous of the amount of product Gus is moving compared to him. This episode was fantastic.

I don't think it adds any more evidence. I take Hector as the kind of guy that would call anyone that isn't overly machismo as "gay". These kinds of mafias are always portrayed as homophobic. You have two guy partners that probably speak eloquently and aren't out chasing tail every night. Of course they are gay, right? That's not to say you aren't right, I just think Hector is probably a homophobe that calls a lot of people gay slurs. 
    Melia004nstinson
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Dummy said:

When Hector called Los Pollos Hermanos the "Butt Brothers" does this give more evidence to say that Gis and his partner had a more intimate relationship. Seems like in the cartel world referring to a fat couple as butt brothers would be seen as a major insult. But it's brilliant because one could also read this as Hector being jealous of the amount of product Gus is moving compared to him. This episode was fantastic.

I don't think it adds any more evidence. I take Hector as the kind of guy that would call anyone that isn't overly machismo as "gay". These kinds of mafias are always portrayed as homophobic. You have two guy partners that probably speak eloquently and aren't out chasing tail every night. Of course they are gay, right? That's not to say you aren't right, I just think Hector is probably a homophobe that calls a lot of people gay slurs. 
    I really don't see how you can say that doesn't add any more evidence. When would anyone call 2 other people butt brothers? While I get what you're saying i highly disagree with your assertion that people are coming to some far out conclusion that Gus must be gay. I think the universe has given ample evidence that it's quite possible Gus and Max were more than business partners. And Hector saying that definitely provides some more evidence. Yes we know that Gus has a family but we also know that everything about his observable life is a lie. His chicken restaurant, his support for the law, etc. It's all a ruse. There's nothing about his character that proves he's 100% hetero. So saying people who are theorising he is not straight are definitely not grasping at straws. If I had to be straightforward I think you saying that's how Hector would act and speak is more far fetched than the evidence the series has given us.
    johnnyhands