IT Follows

AlAl Ohio
edited May 3 in Movies
Has anybody taken the time to watch this one? 

Its currently on Netflix and I had some mixed feelings about the overall story as well as the style and wanted to get others peoples takes on it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I saw it in the theatre when it came out.

It's funny because I don't remember being particularly impressed by it at the time, but have spoken about it ever since much more than I normally do for something I classed as around 6/10.

To me the concept and metaphorical content was more interesting than the reality of what was happening on screen, which is what makes it so good to talk about. Kind of similar to my thoughts on The Babadook.

Here's my review from my film blog if you're interested. :-)

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I really liked it - it was a nice change from the usual teen slasher horror.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the reminder of this movie's existence. It's been on "the list." I just watched it and really liked it. It really kept you searching the background. Wonderful cinematography and sound design. The fact that their outfits matched so closely at the end makes me wish Tom & Lorenzo had some costume analysis of the whole thing...

Shit, the neighbor just walked through the trees outside and my heart stopped.
    Al
  • sean.raysean.ray Texas
    Saw it in theaters, and a few times since. Loved it. Want to commission it some day.
    Al
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited May 4
    That movie actually scared the shit outta me. I had this recurring nightmare growing up about things closing in on/around me and something about this movie specifically hit that nerve. It was genuinely terrifying in a way that the slasher films that also have a constant unrelenting force(Jason/Mike Myers) never really bothered me. All that being said, I did like the movie a lot and would definitely suck it up and watch it again
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    This movie scared me beyond belief. That was a good year for horror, because Babadook came out around the same time. I preferred It Follows, but horror is so subjective that I get that it may not have affected other folks in the same way it did me. I am a horror junky and it absolutely terrified me. I think the feeling of dread and anxiety that at any moment things could go to hell was so palpable. It really got under my skin. 
    hisdudeness915Frakkin TAl
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I have to agree with @Garthgou81 and others. This was a terrifying movie. I also loved the aesthetic of it. It had a 70s look but a modern feel. And that little seashell tablet the one girl was reading on was a great touch. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, I felt like the film wasn't letting us ground ourselves at all. The old cars, the sea shell tablet, the teenagers' mixed fashion choices, the Euro-synth music. I gave up trying to place it, essentially embracing the uncertainty. Brilliant.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited May 4
    @Frakkin T Its too bad I moved out of Boston before hitting the ol' forums here. We coulda grabbed a beer. 
    Frakkin T
  • the story is good, but what the director, creator, writer, etc did with the movie on such a small budget ($2M?) may have been the bigger story.  Very cool what they did with the curve balls, not really being able to tell exactly what time/era the move was set in.
  • Definitely on my annual Halloween watchlist. I concur with the comparison of It monster to Jason Voorhees, but it just made me so happy that It could actually be stopped or at least slowed down by bullets, physics, logic, etc. That's why Freddy Krueger always appealed to me more, because it somehow was less a stretch that it was happening in dreams.
  • AlAl Ohio
    edited May 8

This movie scared me beyond belief. That was a good year for horror, because Babadook came out around the same time. I preferred It Follows, but horror is so subjective that I get that it may not have affected other folks in the same way it did me. I am a horror junky and it absolutely terrified me. I think the feeling of dread and anxiety that at any moment things could go to hell was so palpable. It really got under my skin. 

I'll have to check out Babadook, hadn't heard of it till now.

I do agree though, I think they did a great job of mixing the time periods so you could really ground the time period other then it was in the "Detroit" area.  I went in with no real expectations other then a buddy of mine suggesting it.  After sitting on the movie for a bit and thinking about what they did it has definitely place its self as one of the better horror movies out there in my opinion.