GoT Spinoffs?

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
akritenbrink on most social media

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Hot Pie Baking Show

Rowing with Gendry

Housewives of Craster County

Hound Whisperer hosted by Ramsay

(I'll see myself out)
    darwinfeeshyDoctor_NickakritenbrinkjarrodtbMurderbearwasi
  • I don't necessarily have a problem with this, as long as they are given care and attention to detail and quality. I'm all for seeing other aspects of the GoT universe and history
    akritenbrink
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 5
    The Baratheons-

"Well we're movin on up, to the east side.
    We finally got the whole pie.
    Stag don't fry in the pit,
    Beans don't burn on the fire,
    Took a whole lotta tryin'
    to get Rhaegar off that hill.
    Now we're up at the big feast
    Gettin' our turn at the lance.
    As long as we live, it's you and me, Cersei
    There ain't nothin' wrong with that.... right?

cdrive
  • cdrive said:

Hot Pie Baking Show

Rowing with Gendry

(I'll see myself out)

Careful now, I think we have some infringement here from the "main" "side story" thread that went on here. Think I might have to call the Septa :p
    cdrive
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited May 5
    cdrive said:

Hot Pie Baking Show

Rowing with Gendry

(I'll see myself out)

The Hound owning a chain of chicken joints
    akritenbrinkcdrive
  • MrXMrX CO
    cdrive said:

Hot Pie Baking Show

I'm 100% down for this if they get Mary Berry to co-host.

cdrive
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I came to GOT for the that sweet, G.R.R. Martin genius writing, when that's gone, I am gone. BYE
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    aberry89 said:

I came to GOT for the that sweet, G.R.R. Martin genius writing, when that's gone, I am gone. BYE

He's involved in these.

Angie Kritenbrink

When was that last book due sir...  

It's fine he's involved, but unless he has a big part in writing the scripts, it will pale in comparison. The books are genius, most of the show is great because it was based on his writing - if that level of involvement is there from him then yeah these could be good.  @akritenbrink 
    121MykInABetterPlacevoodooratA_Ron_Hubbard
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • aberry89 said:

He's involved in these.
    GRRM CANNOT write for television. He might be able to sketch out some of the plots; maybe that is good enough. @aberry89 is write about the strength of this world; it is GRRM, and his genius takes time to flourish and come to the page. Television scripts have this little thing called.... deadlines and expensive production efforts waiting on your pages. I am doubtful he can deliver in a hurry something like the Hodor character arc, but I could be wrong. That said, I do think that there are a lot of talented writers in the world out there. I would be okay if GRRM took on a 'keeper of the holocron' role and approved/guided the works of other talented people. Given the revolution of quality television: I fully expect some great entertainment and some quality podcasting to pair nicely.... :). Perhaps a return to @A_Ron_Hubbard dropping his book/Westeros-history knowledge on Jim and the audience.  For my money, that was a real strength of the podcast over their GOT podcast competitors. 

Department of Sudden Departures - Questionnaire for Benefits.

121.  In your opinion, do you believe the departed is in a better place?

I am. Thank you BaldMove; this is my rapture.

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 5
    It was noted that they likely won't be going through with all of these 4 development ideas, just the ones they like when the scripts are completed. 

That said, I really hope they don't attempt to do a whole series on Roberts Rebellion. Aside from the R+L inciting events; we've seen, read, or heard of every single thing that happened and how it happened. We know the end result and exactly how everyone gets to that end. We've seen the emotional fallout from the war years after it was over with all of the major players talking about it in GoT, and that's really the best part of a story where you know everything that happens. It's also not a long war (a year'ish). There's not enough material for multiple 10 episode seasons.
    It would, however, be great as an action packed mini-series, and we've seen HBO is fine with doing those.

I'm hoping that they mine story from WAY back into history. Something like the Invasion of the Andals. So much original plot and characters can be created from that where the viewers and book readers alike have NO IDEA what the fate of each character is. Much of what we know of that time is little more than mythology passed down, and we only know the general outcome for each region or kingdom.

I'd also be good with the Blackfyre Rebellion or any Targaryen civil war. 
    You can also see the major timeline of major events in history at this website laid out really well. And see what you think would be a good story to develop into another epic series.

• MrXMrX CO

aberry89 said:

He's involved in these.
    GRRM CANNOT write for television. He might be able to sketch out some of the plots; maybe that is good enough. @aberry89 is write about the strength of this world; it is GRRM, and his genius takes time to flourish and come to the page. Television scripts have this little thing called.... deadlines and expensive production efforts waiting on your pages. I am doubtful he can deliver in a hurry something like the Hodor character arc, but I could be wrong. That said, I do think that there are a lot of talented writers in the world out there. I would be okay if GRRM took on a 'keeper of the holocron' role and approved/guided the works of other talented people. Given the revolution of quality television: I fully expect some great entertainment and some quality podcasting to pair nicely.... :). Perhaps a return to @A_Ron_Hubbard dropping his book/Westeros-history knowledge on Jim and the audience.  For my money, that was a real strength of the podcast over their GOT podcast competitors. 

GRRM did some writing for television in the 80s, just because he's stuck getting the next books done for ASOIAF doesn't mean he can't successfully be involved in writing some tv scripts. And if one of the spin-off's is the Dunk & Egg stuff then the source material is already there. One if the articles I saw said he was involved in the writing team on these spin-off's. I doubt he'll be the lead writer for all the scripts, but he'd be a valuable voice on the room, and perhaps he'd pen an episode or two like he's done for GoT.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Considering IMO the quality of the show has slowly gone down hill as they have left the source material, I'm not too interested in anything HBO spins off.

The article stated he is involved, not that he is writing them. He is kind of a consultant/producer.

It seems fairly normal for these type of fantasy stories to have spinoffs. Look at what they have been doing with Star Wars and that's not nearly as complex and textured universe as GoT. (IMO, I know there are huge Star Wars fans but I am not one of them). Will they be HBO quality? Or is this some other type of road they are going down remains to be seen.

Angie Kritenbrink

• Noel said:

cdrive said:

Hot Pie Baking Show

Rowing with Gendry

(I'll see myself out)

The Hound owning a chain of chicken joints
    And a spinoff from that, Better Call Bronn
    Tormund and Brienne- a Love Story?

Angie Kritenbrink

The article stated he is involved, not that he is writing them. He is kind of a consultant/producer.

It seems fairly normal for these type of fantasy stories to have spinoffs. Look at what they have been doing with Star Wars and that's not nearly as complex and textured universe as GoT. (IMO, I know there are huge Star Wars fans but I am not one of them). Will they be HBO quality? Or is this some other type of road they are going down remains to be seen.
    Since HBO is creating them, I can't imagine they wouldn't be HBO quality. Dan and Dave will also still be involved in EP roles, but won't be writing for it or show running. GRRM will (likely) have the same role as he has now in GoT, which is an EP.

I think the success at least partially depends on which story they end up picking to do a series on, and how much $ they'll throw into the first season.
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    I pray to the Old Gods and the New to give us a comedy spin-off
    akritenbrinkcdrive
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
    This ultimately feels very cash grabby, and, shit GOT is ending we gotta milk this cow for as much as she's worth! Which is too bad, because I feel the legecy of this fantastic series lessens each times that happens

And i rather HBO spend time on new stuff - there are a TON of other great fantasy or sci-fi stories out there that they could adapt. I have also felt HBO and the Dune series were made for each other. But now that Dune movie is happening soooo
    I don't even really consider HBO the be all and end all for this type of stuff. There are quite a few networks, along with Netflix and now Hulu, making great original content.
    Ajas

Angie Kritenbrink

• Maybe Gendrys missing story.
    Dee
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    What if they just continue moving the ball forward?  However A Song of Ice and Fire ends, the world of Planetos will be put through the wringer, and entirely new political and social structure will be coming to replace the old, dysfunctional, and destroyed ones.  I don't want The Phantom Menace, I want The Force Awakens.  Let George remain in control ever everything up to 300 AC, and give the future reigns to someone else, with an assist to world building from George.  I'd love to see that.
    Vasilnate1akritenbrinkKingKobra

What if they just continue moving the ball forward?  However A Song of Ice and Fire ends, the world of Planetos will be put through the wringer, and entirely new political and social structure will be coming to replace the old, dysfunctional, and destroyed ones.  I don't want The Phantom Menace, I want The Force Awakens.  Let George remain in control ever everything up to 300 AC, and give the future reigns to someone else, with an assist to world building from George.  I'd love to see that.

Then it wouldn't really be a spinoff. I have to wonder if they are saving that kind of thing for a future film? But who knows.

Angie Kritenbrink

• @akritenbrink technically it still would be since it would be derived from the history/universe that GRRM already created. As long as it is even loosely connected to the universe or story, it could be considered a spinoff as long as it doesn't involve that main SOIF line.
    KingKobra said:

@akritenbrink technically it still would be since it would be derived from the history/universe that GRRM already created. As long as it is even loosely connected to the universe or story, it could be considered a spinoff as long as it doesn't involve that main SOIF line.

Gotcha

Angie Kritenbrink

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I'd like to see how the series is going to end before speculating on what's next. As Aron said the future might be much more interesting to see but we have no idea how it's going to play out.
    No Half Measures....