Which Show/Podcast Should I Start?

amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
Kind of a random request, but at the moment the only Baldmove content I'm listening to is Better Cast Saul (and commissioned movies), simply because it's the only show that I'm watching that they are covering right now.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a little more Jim and A.Ron so I'm looking for a general consensus on which show to start watching so I can listen to the accompanying cast? I've been through all the 'classics', Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, Westworld etc, so in my mind it's basically a toss up between Fargo and The Leftovers. 

Which would you guys recommend out of the two?

Comments

• I really like their house of cards coverage
    amyja89
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    iMatty94 said:

I really like their house of cards coverage

Sorry, should have said I've seen House Of Cards too. :-)
  • Are you starting from the beginning of the series with Fargo/Leftovers?

Or the beginning of the current season?
  • My opinion is that The Leftovers is the better of the two shows, and the podcasts for it have more interesting discussions than the podcasts for Fargo. It really depends on your own taste in TV though - The Leftovers is amazing, but the first season is pretty unrelentingly bleak and a lot of people just straight up don't like the early episodes, so it can be a rough watch at first, especially compared to Fargo.
    JoshuaHeter
    I said, "This is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I do not say that lightly."
  • I'd take the leftovers 1st out of the 2 you've given us, but that show is clearly divided (you hate or love it). It can be emotionally heavy at times as well.
    @darwinfeeshy I'd start from the beginning of the show!
    edited May 5
    I'm tempted towards The Leftovers to be honest. I kind of revel in bleak shit haha. 
    KingKobraSomeBiscuit
  • amyja89 said:

I'm tempted towards The Leftovers to be honest. I kind of revel in bleak shit haha. 

Then you might be like a pig in shi* with it :p
    amyja89
  • amyja89 said:

Oh if you enjoy bleak, there's no contest, it's gotta be The Leftovers.
    amyja89
    I said, "This is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I do not say that lightly."
  • edited May 5
    amyja89 said:

@darwinfeeshy I'd start from the beginning of the show!

Well, I would recommend Fargo, but that's just my personal taste. Both shows are amazing.

And yeah, Leftovers will leave you empty, but in good way.. I think? Soul-draining or not, it's totally bingable.
    amyja89
    Thanks for all the comments guys, you're faster than my Amazon Echo. ;-)
    KingKobra
  • edited May 5
    Justified. Although they dont have complete coverage.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didnt read the entire initial post.
    Travis
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

IMO, overall Fargo is the better show, but the high points in the Leftovers are spectacularly high (some would say that the lows in Fargo are really low, but I strongly disagree!).

If you're specifically looking to pair-up what you watch with a Bald Move podcast, go with the Leftovers - the guys clearly like it more and generate better discussions about it as a result (I don't mean to suggest that their Fargo coverage isn't good, just saying that their Leftovers coverage is better!)

darwinfeeshy
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Their True Detective S1 coverage was phenomenal too.  Their Game of Thrones is absolutely great as well.  Fargo is brilliant.  The Leftovers insightful.  Enjoy!
    Joe_Bear
    Just a quick update, started The Leftovers today and have just finished listening to the first podcast. I promise I won't keep dredging up stuff that you all saw/listened to years ago at this point, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the portion where Jim and A.Ron discuss the realistic nature of the pretty bleak game of "spin the phone" that the teens were playing in the pilot, with options like fuck, choke and burn. I felt I had to share this pic of my hand, complete with a burn scar that I received at one such party in extremely similar circumstances some 10 years ago when I was 17ish! 

Not one of my finest moments, but an eerie comparison with such a bleak show!

• It's a shame because their Justified season 3 coverage is fantastic, but you'd have to watch seasons 1 and 2 with no podcast and only Bald Move TV coverage of 4 with no coverage of 5 and then they picked it up again for 6. The show: podcast ratio is really out of whack, but the show is amazing and their coverage was fantastic as well for the two seasons that they did. 

Fargo and the Leftovers are both amazing shows with great coverage and you can't really go wrong, but I think I would go with the Leftovers if I were to only choose one. The Leftovers is just a Bald Move wheelhouse show. It's so thought provoking beyond what is happening on the screen and J&A are so good with that. Fargo is great and their analysis is great, but I just think you probably get more bang for your buck in The Leftovers. One little note on that though, if you like a little bit of show letdown outrage Fargo does seem to provide at least one moment per season that really pisses them off. So there is that, if that's a factor. It is pretty funny when they get going on a little outrage.
    Jovial_Falcon

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited May 15
    amyja89 said:

Just a quick update, started The Leftovers today and have just finished listening to the first podcast. I promise I won't keep dredging up stuff that you all saw/listened to years ago at this point, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the portion where Jim and A.Ron discuss the realistic nature of the pretty bleak game of "spin the phone" that the teens were playing in the pilot, with options like fuck, choke and burn. I felt I had to share this pic of my hand, complete with a burn scar that I received at one such party in extremely similar circumstances some 10 years ago when I was 17ish! 

Not one of my finest moments, but an eerie comparison with such a bleak show!

Ah, the old lighter smiley (brutal one too if it lasted that long). I used to share an apartment with 3 friends and one time the particularly mischevious roommate gave one of our other roommates one of those on his neck in a sort of "prep the lighter and quickly sneak up on him while he was engulfed in a video game" scenario. Joke was on him though as the victim (who was always kind of a wildcard) did the whole "I will get revenge, but you won't have any idea that it's coming" thing and it literally left him paranoid for weeks. 
    amyja89

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    @amyja89 - I'd suggest "Cooking with A. Ron" - stellar
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Season 1 of the Leftovers is a little bit of a death march of grimness. Season 2 is somehow different so far and quite amazing. The Season 2 podcasts have been really helpful and must listen.
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    I believe that A.Ron will likely start a Lost podcast if one more person asks for it.
    akritenbrink
    _____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    trippy said:

I believe that A.Ron will likely start a Lost podcast if one more person asks for it.

From prison
  • edited May 16
    amyja89 said:

I felt I had to share this pic of my hand, complete with a burn scar that I received at one such party in extremely similar circumstances some 10 years ago when I was 17ish! 

That's pretty hardcore.

Man... we as teenagers are pretty stupid.
    amyja89
  • i would suggest The Leftovers. The guys have a deep love for this show. Be warned, it's a tough watch.