Who Won the Week? - Round 3 (05.05.17)

So @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim - Will this feature always be a debate for the crown between The Leftovers, Better Call Saul, and Fargo? Or are you allowing any show to enter the competition? For example, what if The Americans hits a home run one week. Granted, I think this is a show that is experiencing a series low in it's quality, but it has the capacity to hit huge home runs. Likewise, I think Handmaid's Tale, is easily hitting well enough to play in this league. And depending on who you talk with, American Gods, might come into the conversation. Or in a few weeks, I can easily see Twin Peaks, being worthy of the discussion. Or maybe Catastrophe S3 or Sense8 S2 or.....

Ultimately, is this: "Which of these 3 shows was the best this week? Or is it, "What was the best show on TV this week?" 
"Cucumber water's for closers only."

Comments

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Can one listen to these if you're not caught up on the Leftovers or is it spoiler central?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I assumed it was "Which of these shows that we podcast weekly was the best...", as it's called the Podcalypse? I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes though - 30 years of red wine will do that to you.
  • edited May 5
    I think they only do it for shows they cover/watch.
  • edited May 5

Can one listen to these if you're not caught up on the Leftovers or is it spoiler central?

I would stay away if you're wary of spoilers. They discuss events from all of the shows that they do podcasts on.
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    Dee said:

I assumed it was "Which of these shows that we podcast weekly was the best...", as it's called the Podcalypse? I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes though - 30 years of red wine will do that to you.

Ah ha. Thanks for the clarification Dee. I must have missed the kickoff to this segment. Makes sense now that they just have those 3 shows in this feature. 
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

Dee said:

Ah ha. Thanks for the clarification Dee. I must have missed the kickoff to this segment. Makes sense now that they just have those 3 shows in this feature. 
    I think it would also be hard to take all those shows into consideration if they aren't necessarily watching them. Like if Jim doesn't watch A Handmaiden's Tale, it would be a pretty one-sided debate if A.Ron thought it was better than the three that they cover regularly. 

Its awesome seeing Bald Move really spreading its wings and doing abbreviated podcasts on Girls, Silicon Valley, The Expanse, MST3K, Its Always Sunny..., Breaking Bad: The Movie, and others. Its easily the best thing to come out of the Amazon debacle. I know Bald Move TV has always been a thing, but it fell off somewhere along the way, and seeing this resurgence is great. 
    Melonusk
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Jim was wondering if Pablo Schreiber is related to Liev Schreiber -- yes, they are half-brothers -- and how to pronounce Liev's name. It's pronounced Lee-ehv, and the dude has a fascinating story of being raised in half-abandoned tenements with no running water or heat in NYC by his bohemian, highly cultured but "eccentric" communist mother, eventually earning his M.A. from Yale School of Drama. Sorry for the Liev tangent. I'm a big fan of his stage work, but his film and tv work -- not so much. Pablo is also great, but I always fail to recognize him post-The Wire.
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, the limiting factor to this is what Jim and I watch together.   I will provide commentary if and when I think either of the big three we're covering now would lose to an outside contest that I'm watching.  I kind of alluded to that this week with Handmaiden's Tale.  It's hard to judge 3 episodes to one each from the rest, but last week's Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum from Handmaid's might well have been better or as good as any of them.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    edited May 11
    I have no clue how to completely delete a comment, sorry lol
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"