304 - G'Day Melbourne

Director: Daniel Sackheim
Story by : Damon Lindelof
Teleplay by : Tamara P. Carter & Haley Harris

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Well I know who won the week again.
    calebthrowerKristinaphoenyx1023MichelleLiquidTheorymwspiakhisdudeness915Toadieand 4 others.
  • Wow, that epsidoe went by quick. It had me wrapped from the beginning. Nice touches with the one hit wonder 80's track throughout the episode. This episode so much to unpack, yet the basics all head is towards the end.
    ElisaBourbonQueen
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Another terrific episode. As usual, it will take a day or so of pondering to sift through everything I just watched.
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Kevin asking the koala where the Melbourne Library was... Just the best.
    KingKobracalebthrowerWintersComingAfterFallJTKIIIMichelleMelia004hisdudeness915ElisaCodyHarris821
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Biggest question I have from this episode is why Nora was denied for saying yes to killing the baby when last week the guy in the desert said he was denied for saying no he wouldnt kill a baby. Most plausible thing I can think of is they deny you either way and gage your mental state by your reaction
    HatorianMelonuskElisaBourbonQueen
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    That episode was so damn emotional. God I love this show. That shot of Nora with the water running down her face was perfection.
    pavlovsbellMichellefathergeorgeElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited May 8
    Holy shit. That was one gut punch after another, and the ending left me breathless. And the final image reminded me of Roy Batty dying in the rain. Gorgeous.
    hisdudeness915KingKobraMichelleCretanBullfathergeorgeMelonuskElisaBourbonQueenKela15and 1 other.
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • Biggest question I have from this episode is why Nora was denied for saying yes to killing the baby when last week the guy in the desert said he was denied for saying no he wouldnt kill a baby. Most plausible thing I can think of is they deny you either way and gage your mental state by your reaction

That's the big question no? Of course, they are the gatekeepers so they decide on no specific reason,'but their own. What is the power blinking out at the end was then activating the device and sending her across (ala Kevin in Bathtub to hotel afterlife).
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 8
    I think she's going to cross over. (Hard to explain the flash forward though.) They'll contact her after it's proven that she doesn't think suicide will get her to them.
  • I'm in the middle of analyzing the various uses of Verdi's music in the series. Off the top of my head, they've featured music from Nabucco, La Traviata, and Rigoletto. Jim and A Ron have already discussed the significance of Nabucco and the Nebuchadnezzar story previously, but as an opera singer who has spent many hours studying and performing these operas, I am immensely interested in the uses of Verdi in the soundtrack. 

This season, I believe that the writers are comparing Nora to the classic tragic heroines from Verdi's operas. Early in this episode, "Caro Nome" from Rigoletto was in the background. In this scene, Gilda, the daughter of Rigoletto, is naively swooning over the romantic partner she has just met. Little does she know that he is a lecherous Duke, only interested in using her and humiliating her father. I think this is tied into the Leftovers by comparing Nora's blind optimism in the scientists in Australia.

La Traviata is also featured prominently in this episode. In the opera, Violetta is on her death bed, trying to convince her lover Alfredo that they will still be able to have a long life of love, while knowing that she is mortally ill, and going to die any minute. (aka not letting Kevin know the true nature of their Australia trip) Later in the episode,  music from the Act 2 duet with Alfredo's father. Violetta is convinced by Alfredo's father that the only way to save Alfredo's family is to leave him. This is portrayed simultaneously in the episode during Nora and Kevin's fight. At the end of the episode, Nora is distraught, having lost/driven away everyone she loved, leaving her feeling dejected. If this were a Verdi opera, she would suddenly contract a terminal illness, or commit suicide. After thinking about the musical relevance to the past few episodes, I'm not very optimistic about Nora's outcome. I hope I'm wrong though...

Additional note: many operatic heroines die of consumption in a coughing fit, so Nora lighting up a cigarette could be a bad omen.
    JaimieTElisarusskellyweeniegirl
  • But but ... I don't want Kevin and Nora to split up. This episode broke my heart.
    hisdudeness915voodooratMichelleBourbonQueenrusskelly
  • Why didn't you stop me? Oh fuck off, Nora. I guess she needs someone or something to blame, but that seems weak to me. Still, great episode. We still don't really know where this story is going, which is a little concerning, but I'm not overly worried that I won't like where it eventually goes. 
    pavlovsbellBourbonQueen
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Kristina said:

But but ... I don't want Kevin and Nora to split up. This episode broke my heart.

I had a feeling it may happen when the episode started with "This Love is Over" in the opening credits
    KristinaElisaBourbonQueen
  • Dummy said:

Why didn't you stop me? Oh fuck off, Nora. I guess she needs someone or something to blame, but that seems weak to me. Still, great episode. We still don't really know where this story is going, which is a little concerning, but I'm not overly worried that I won't like where it eventually goes. 

If we knew where it was going, it wouldn't be the Leftovers and IMO would be much more blah
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited May 8
    I know I sound like a broken record but they still haven't screwed up although this one was dark as midnight. Nora and Kevin were viscous to one another and it was only a half step away from where they were before. I fell for it and got chills when Evie was staring at him from the TV, although I'm glad that was explained in the most straightforward way. I guess I'm not surprised but a little disappointed that all the hypothesizing about the random Volkswagen guy in Sr's story was on point, although it was interesting that the answer either changed or the question was a different kind of test (I suspect the latter). What explosion?
    Elisa
  • LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    I couldn't have been the only one, watching the scene where Kevin texts Lorie the pic, who said  "I bet it looks nothing like Evie" 

What a great episode. I was honestly freaked out when she was staring at him on the TV. 
    Great episode. 

The fight scene may have been one of the most realistic things I've seen to date. 
    As a person who's been in absolutely toxic relationships(not in a long time now thank goodness) I felt every part of that scene. 
    SO good. 
    BUT I can't feel good about Kevin's chances now. 

mattsElisaBourbonQueenKela15
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 8
    Damn great episode.  Interesting that Evie's sign referenced Surah 81 from the Qur'an.  Per Wikipedia (not exactly the be all, end all of factual information but let's just run with it), the theme is basically the signs of the coming of the day of judgment.  It translates as follows:

1. When the sun is turned into a sphere (wrapped up)
    2. And when the stars lose their light
    3. And when the mountains are blown
    4. And when pregnant camels are neglected
    5. And when the wild beasts are gathered
    6. And when the seas are boiled
    7. And when the souls are paired
    8. And when the girl buried alive is asked
    9. For what sin was she killed
    10. And when the pages are published
    11. And when the sky is stripped off
    12. And when the hell is made ravenous
    13. And when the paradise is brought near
    14. Then A soul knows what it has brought forth
    15. So I (God) swear by the retreating stars
    16. That runs and disappears
    17. And the night when it approaches
    18. And the day when it breathes
    19. It is the word of a noble messenger (Gabriel)
    20. Of power with the owner of the throne, secure
    21. Obeyed and trustworthy
    22. And your companion (Muhammad) is not mad
    23. And he (Muhammad) has seen him (Gabriel) in the clear horizon
    24. And he (Muhammad) is not a keeper of the unseen
    25. And It is not the word of an expelled devil
    26. So where are you going?
    27. It is but a reminder to the worlds
    28. For who wills among you to be on straight path
    29. And you do not will unless the God of the worlds wills

So....   thoughts?

aberry89hisdudeness915Elisa
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • KingKobra said:

Dummy said:

Why didn't you stop me? Oh fuck off, Nora. I guess she needs someone or something to blame, but that seems weak to me. Still, great episode. We still don't really know where this story is going, which is a little concerning, but I'm not overly worried that I won't like where it eventually goes. 

If we knew where it was going, it wouldn't be the Leftovers and IMO would be much more blah
    I don't know. At this point in s2, Evie had vanished and we knew that the season would have to resolve that question. In s1, the GR was causing havoc and we knew who the villain was going to be. The main thing the show is pointing towards is the approaching date of the departure anniversary, and we don't really know if it even has meaning. I may be missing stuff, but I feel this season is more up in the air (get it) than other seasons. 
    JTKIII
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Dummy said:

KingKobra said:

Dummy said:

I don't know. At this point in s2, Evie had vanished and we knew that the season would have to resolve that question. In s1, the GR was causing havoc and we knew who the villain was going to be. The main thing the show is pointing towards is the approaching date of the departure anniversary, and we don't really know if it even has meaning. I may be missing stuff, but I feel this season is more up in the air (get it) than other seasons. 
    Huh? I thought we were heading towards the apocalypse. Or at least, that's the big question. It sure seems like a flood will happen, but how big will it be and who will survive?
    KingKobraElisa
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • Dummy said:

KingKobra said:

Dummy said:

Huh? I thought we were heading towards the apocalypse. Or at least, that's the big question. It sure seems like a flood will happen, but how big will it be and who will survive?
    I guess what's throwing me off about the great flood apocalypse is the potential flash forward with Nora. Still, I guess you're right and that's where the story is headed. I just haven't been able to see it because I'm still skecptical that it will happen.  
    pavlovsbell
  • Dummy said:

Dummy said:

KingKobra said:

Dummy said:

I guess what's throwing me off about the great flood apocalypse is the potential flash forward with Nora. Still, I guess you're right and that's where the story is headed. I just haven't been able to see it because I'm still skecptical that it will happen.  
    Why would a flash forward prevent you from seeing it? All that would mean is that she survived in some way (or that it never happened). If you're skeptical that it would happen then you believe that there will be no flood and all of this hoopla is for naught ;) either could happen and I'd be Ok as long as they wrote it well. Heck, we could have seen Nora "over there" in that flash forward.
    pavlovsbellMelonuskElisa
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    If you go back to episode two, the scene when Matt has a bloody nose and Nora walks in, he asks her if she's seen the book... As a big fan, I know Damon's sly ass writing very well. Nora says, "I'm staying out of it." As if to also say, "I'm not in it." Look at Matt's face. It's like, "if you only knew."

I think Nora is slowly becoming some sort of anti-christ figure. How Matt would know, I don't know. But that line from Nora, his face, and the end of episode one made me think that they are "Perfect Strangers" if you will.

Now this episodes ending. That hotel had a lot of burning Hell imagery to it.
    voodooratElisa
  • edited May 8
    I'm not going to judge a spur the moment passionate public bang, but face down in an airport bathroom? Holy shit Nora, NO. The real reason they rejected her was because she got a staph infection from that nasty place.

The break up seemed a little abrupt and almost like the plot called for it, but it was still pretty powerful and there's enough character history there to support it. I need a re-watch, but are we to understand that Kevin saw Evie and started hallucinating after he read from the Book of Kevin? Wasn't there something about Jesus changing after reading scripture for the first time too? I think the guys briefly mentioned something like that last week.
    Melia004Kela15
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    The "explosion" of Kevin and Nora's relationship has grounded all flights in Australia! :-) and apparently the guy at the airport knew about it. He had a fallout suit, and he was ready for a nuclear event.
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
  • Dr. Eden? Really?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Such great writing on this show. What a perfect and believable way to get Kevin Sr and Jr together with the whole Gd Day Melbourne. That was great.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have Nora and Kevin go through AU customs though and just have to wait like an hour to get through and get grilled about bringing in fresh fruits and vegetables.

Deedavemcb
    No Half Measures....
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I love the metaphor of the foil over the smoke detector they introduced this season. Their relationship has been slowly deteriorating and they keep masking, and masking the problems (no smoke without fire, ahem) Ignoring the danger.  And finally the fucking room is on fire, and smoke alarm is going off, and water is falling - and no amount of foil is going to mask the buring disaster that was waiting for them.  Just great - every little aspect of this show is so carefully honed and thoughtful. 
    elgat0LiquidTheoryMichellepavlovsbellMelonuskElisaCodyHarris821
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

Holy shit. That was one gut punch after another, and the ending left me breathless. And the final image reminded me of Roy Batty dying in the rain. Gorgeous.

I had the exact same thought!
    pavlovsbell
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

The repeated use of the A-Ha song "Take on Me"...everyone remember the video?  I think (and by that I mean I'm practically certain!) that we're being told something about the nature of the departures - the dual worlds depicted in the video, people being drawn in and out of the different realities etc.  The fact that the song is played a few times (2? 3?) in an episode where Kevin is in a hotel room in Australia talking to his TV (and later, there's a fire in that hotel room too) and Nora is on a quest to go wherever the departures went...I don't think that it's coincidental!

cdrivepavlovsbellElisa
  • DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    edited May 8

At first when I saw
    them reject Nora based on her answer to the baby killing question, I thought it
    was her quickness to say yes “what’s one more baby?”. BUT, after thinking about
    it more… what if she’s pregnant? What if the blood test showed she was
    positive, which puts greater importance to that question: Will you kill a baby
    to save cancer? Would you kill your baby with radiation to see your departed
    family again? “What’s one more baby?”

Also, the symbolism of her giving up the baby to get on the
    bus is obvious. For a brief time she had a baby in her arms, she was, as the
    lady asked, a mother. And when the opportunity came for her to board the bus,
    she ditched the baby quickly. I think that lady was a plant and it was all a
    part of a test, or if it wasn’t a plant, the symbolism is there that Nora will
    do anything, including abandoning anything in this world (from a random baby,
    to her family) to be with her departed family. The scientist said as much: the odds of it being a great place is very minimal.
     But to Nora that doesn’t matter; “What’s one
    more baby?” 

CretanBullVasilnate1elgat0pavlovsbellMelonuskElisa