305 - Chicanery

Written by
Gordon Smith
Directed by
Daniel Sackheim

Comments

• MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    BANG, BISCUIT! Suck it Chuck! God that was cathartic.
    CretanBullCodyHarris821MurderbearDani_Armindomwspiak
  • As good as The Leftovers is. I contend BCS won this week. The Leftovers will probably sweep the next 4 weeks easily. Not that any of this matters.
    JTKIIIMelia004MelonuskLiquidTheory
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Oh man it's Huell and his weird head back again! That man is the perfect pickpocket, no one would ever expect he was so damn smooth.
    CretanBull
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Damn, strong showing from Leftovers and BCS this week, will Fargo forever languish in 3rd place?
  • Damn, fine epsidoe. The brothers are evenly matched when it comes to Fn the other one over. Jimmy knew exactly what to do and just lit the match. He didn't look proud or happy for what he did, but it was really his only option. While I still liked the Leftovers more, it's more of a 1a/1b type of thing with these two shows.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I love how the crooked vet is admonishing Jimmy for the little bag his fish is in, especially since no one can see it, it's not even for show. He will arrange crimes, so F people, but God help the lawyer who doesn't use the right size fish bag
  • Daniel Sackheim directed both this weeks "The Leftovers" and "Better Call Saul".

Um, that's quite the feat!
    UnderwoodMelonuskLiquidTheorynstinsonhisdudeness915mwspiak
    I would've continued questioning Chuck about his Transposing address numbers fiction to Rebecca then dropped the bombshell with the phone battery.

I think the "sunk costs" fallacy is applicable to Chuck, he's invested so much into ruining Jimmy that he cannot let go and cut his losses
    JoshuaHeter
  • I think everyone on the production team can admit now that the reason they gave Chuck his "disorder" was so they could eventually have an excuse to turn out the lights and give us one of the moodiest courtroom scenes on television. 
    emnofseattlemattsnstinson
    I just realized, so Chuck references the Chicago sunroof, doesn't this break attorney client privilege since Chuck was Jimmys lawyer and thus the bar can sanction Chuck?
    MurderbearJoshuaHeterJohnnyHeaterMelonusknstinsonDoubleA_Ron
    After searching around the google machine I found this gem a news story about people in South Africa complaining about adverse reactions due to a data tower, and at a public hearing the company revealed they turned it off six weeks prior.
    https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wireless/11099-massive-revelation-in-iburst-tower-battle.html
    CodyHarris821nstinsonKatieAnfinsen
  • Well, A.Ron said it was gonna be a circus. Now this was a circus alright!

Until this episode I was 100% with A.Ron ("Jimmy's bad but Chuck is an irredeemable a**hole"). But after seeing Chuck recapitulate his entire history with Jimmy in that powerful rant, I can't help but sympathize with the guy. Both brothers have made sacrifices for each other, have hurt each other terribly and have given each other second and third chances. It's difficult to say who is the worse of the two, really.
    ... It's also difficult to say who won the week. The incredibly cruel dialogue between Kevin and Nora at the end of this week's Leftovers was also super-strong. But if I'd have to decide, I would also go with BCS. Can't wait for both podcasts!
    nstinson
  • Also, when the vet asked Jimmy if his confidant would have to fit in small spaces, I was grinning like, yes, we are so gonna see Huell. And Lavell Crawford keeps killing it with those one-liners ("an hour and 43 minutes ago"). Hilarious!
    JoshuaHeterMelonusk
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    The single best episode of Law and Order ever!
    nstinson
  • davemcb said:

The single best episode of Law and Order ever!

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Chuck is a real Dick Wolf
    adobo1148davemcb
  • Looks like 'meat-eating man' has been on a leafy green diet.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 9
    One word: Huell!!!

Love the final shot of Chuck in the distance with the Exit sign lit and buzzing with electricity.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    That was one riveting hour of television. Wow. 
    brewsevelt
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    Can we all agree that Michael McKean is a great actor? What a great episode. 
    JujeeMichelleDeeMelonuskLiquidTheorynstinsonDreamRychermwspiak
    MFG said:

Well, A.Ron said it was gonna be a circus. Now this was a circus alright!

Until this episode I was 100% with A.Ron ("Jimmy's bad but Chuck is an irredeemable a**hole"). But after seeing Chuck recapitulate his entire history with Jimmy in that powerful rant, I can't help but sympathize with the guy. Both brothers have made sacrifices for each other, have hurt each other terribly and have given each other second and third chances. It's difficult to say who is the worse of the two, really.
    ... It's also difficult to say who won the week. The incredibly cruel dialogue between Kevin and Nora at the end of this week's Leftovers was also super-strong. But if I'd have to decide, I would also go with BCS. Can't wait for both podcasts!

well I don't know, the only thing I ever saw Chuck do for Jimmy was represent him on the Chicago sunroof, and I think he did that more for their mother then for Jimmy. I mean when it comes to the level of sacrifice it doesn't seem to be, at least not in their adult years, weighted equally towards each brother. Because I don't see Chuck attending to Jimmy's every want and need if Jimmy claimed pain from electro-waves. 

Not only that but Chuck seems to be able to turn off his illness in order to bait Jimmy. You can see it here where Chuck is testifying, all smug and confident about powering through his illness and putting on an act to entrap Jimmy, and Jimmy's asking questions and he looks hurt and betrayed. He certainly looks more normal then Chuck. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • Can we all agree that Michael McKean is a great actor? What a great episode. 

I agree.  I could not stand that actor for the longest time, and now I can't think of anyone that would play this character any better.
    brewseveltMichelle
  • @emnofseattle hm, I see your point. Maybe sacrifice wasn't the right word. Chuck obviously felt at least some sort of responsibility for his brother for a long time, he kept him close, gave him a job, etc. I think we all agree that Jimmy is more likable and that Chuck is very smug, but that wasn't really my point.I think that after everything Jimmy did that affected Chuck (Chicago sun roof, billboard stunt, Mesa Verde coup etc.) and vice versa (taking Mesa Verde away, the tape recording etc.), it's difficult for me to say that one of them is objectively worse. And Chuck says it himself, Jimmy does horrible stuff even with good intentions. If you wanna disagree, that's fine with me, I'm just saying I was feeling Chuck's frustration about growing up with a brother that's mischievous and deceptive, while being the only one who knows the real Jimmy, and everybody else just loving Jimmy and his charm (including their mother).

I really hope that wasn't up for debate! Chuck is a terrible human being but obviously that's just because he is being played brilliantly by Mr McKean.
    Michelle
    Michelle said:

One word: Huell!!!

Love the final shot of Chuck in the distance with the Exit sign lit and buzzing with electricity.

Yes! His mouth slightly agape, looking like his brain was fried was absolutely beautiful!
    MichelleMelonusk
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA

I really hope that wasn't up for debate! Chuck is a terrible human being but obviously that's just because he is being played brilliantly by Mr McKean.
    Ha! Yeah, no debate from me. In general (not necessarily here) I don't feel he gets credit for how talented he is.
  • I was kind of bummed Jimmy didn't show any righteous fury after Chuck was exposed, but I realize so much of this episode was acting.  I think Jimmy's sad and remorseful tone after Chuck's rant was just as big of an act as anything Chuck did.  Give Chuck enough rope to hang himself, don't jerk on the rope afterwards because it would look bad to the board.

Huell was great, but I wish BCS had a fraction of the restraint BB had.  Huell and Victor mugging for the camera, one in a scenario that seemed out of character, just seemed dumbed down and really close to wacka wacka territory.  I guess you can argue that it's for new viewers, but I don't care about those viewers and it seems tedious as a BB fan.  Did anybody really not know who it was after he bumped into Chuck? If you didn't, it's your lucky day because here's Huell smiling at the camera!

Finally, I'm really excited to see what Hamlin does.  His shocked reaction during the exposure was the one that stuck out to me the most.  All the bullshit, all the accommodations, all the shaky press Chuck generated for HHM, and he realizes it's all a sham.  I'm predicting Hamlin puts just as big of a dagger into Chuck as Jimmy did.
    CaptainTrips
  • GredalBee said:

I was kind of bummed Jimmy didn't show any righteous fury after Chuck was exposed, but I realize so much of this episode was acting.  I think Jimmy's sad and remorseful tone after Chuck's rant was just as big of an act as anything Chuck did.  Give Chuck enough rope to hang himself, don't jerk on the rope afterwards because it would look bad to the board.

Huell was great, but I wish BCS had a fraction of the restraint BB had.  Huell and Victor mugging for the camera, one in a scenario that seemed out of character, just seemed dumbed down and really close to wacka wacka territory.  I guess you can argue that it's for new viewers, but I don't care about those viewers and it seems tedious as a BB fan.  Did anybody really not know who it was after he bumped into Chuck? If you didn't, it's your lucky day because here's Huell smiling at the camera!

Finally, I'm really excited to see what Hamlin does.  His shocked reaction during the exposure was the one that stuck out to me the most.  All the bullshit, all the accommodations, all the shaky press Chuck generated for HHM, and he realizes it's all a sham.  I'm predicting Hamlin puts just as big of a dagger into Chuck as Jimmy did.

I have a feeling that Kim having cancelled Chuck's repair person won't go unnoticed, especially if Chuck is still in any position to pursue legal action after this week.
    MFG said:

@emnofseattle hm, I see your point. Maybe sacrifice wasn't the right word. Chuck obviously felt at least some sort of responsibility for his brother for a long time, he kept him close, gave him a job, etc. I think we all agree that Jimmy is more likable and that Chuck is very smug, but that wasn't really my point.I think that after everything Jimmy did that affected Chuck (Chicago sun roof, billboard stunt, Mesa Verde coup etc.) and vice versa (taking Mesa Verde away, the tape recording etc.), it's difficult for me to say that one of them is objectively worse. And Chuck says it himself, Jimmy does horrible stuff even with good intentions. If you wanna disagree, that's fine with me, I'm just saying I was feeling Chuck's frustration about growing up with a brother that's mischievous and deceptive, while being the only one who knows the real Jimmy, and everybody else just loving Jimmy and his charm (including their mother).

Well we don't know what his mother's relationship with Jimmy was, she probably was well aware he was a scam artist. Ted Bundy's mother said I love you before he was connected to the power grid. 

Chuck is the type of person who needed to learn to mind his own business. Don't want Jimmy working at HHM? Ok that's understandable, but Chuck was exerting all kinds of control over Jimmy helping him deal with this fake disease, and stuff like the billboard, that was unethical on Jimmy's part, but it didn't really concern Chuck in any way I can see. 

As far as the Mesa Verde, yes that was all wrong for Jimmy to do, Chuck is legally right, but let's remember sometimes if you try to screw people over (as Chuck was doing by stealing the client Kim worked to get, purely to mess with Jimmy) you may be subject to retaliation you didn't anticipate. The Chuck downfall was something he could've cut his losses and run any time before trying to get Jimmy disbarred. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Admittedly the final five minutes were hella cathartic, but I was kind of underwhelmed by how it all transpired. Perhaps my expectations were too high because we've been so hype about Jimmy getting the best of Chuck, but I don't actually think the battery trick made as big of an on screen impact as the head hitting chaos of last season with the discovery of the doctored numbers.