LOST: A Creative Failure

"I ultimately think that LOST was a creative failure, which I know pisses a lot of people off, but it was a worthy one."
@A_Ron_Hubbard

A.Ron, instead of derailing the enjoyable discussion about The Leftovers 3.05, I decided to create a separate thread for this topic.Truly, I don't want to get into another debate about LOST (good/not good, liked/disliked, ending was great/sucked, yadda yadda, etc.. That is a well-worn topic on this forum.) As I recall, you weren't much of a LOST fan. So much so that you "noped out" after a season.

Help me understand: How is LOST a creative failure? And what are examples of other shows that have failed creatively? Maybe you just meant that you thought "it was a worthwhile failure" and the "creative" part is purely subjective. 
ElisaMichaelVCassidy
"Cucumber water's for closers only."

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Oh boy.   lol
    akritenbrinkpavlovsbellDummyFrakkin TVasilnate1hisdudeness915Travisamyja89
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • It's a good thing this post doesn't look like anything to me.
    akritenbrinkpavlovsbellMichelle
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    We may see a thread look uglier than the politics one...
    akritenbrinkpavlovsbellVasilnate1MichelleTravis
    _____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.
  • trippy said:

We may see a thread look uglier than the politics one...

Sawyer > Jack

*triggered*
    trippyakritenbrinkpavlovsbellElisaMichelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Subtitle: Bald Move Discord
    pavlovsbellMichelleTravis
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    At first I was like

Then I remembered how these threads always go

DummyDaveyMacElisaCretanBulltrippyakritenbrinkVasilnate1MichelleFrakkin Thisdudeness915and 3 others.
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Boston MA
    Yeah pass on this thread

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• edited May 10
    I'll make a bold statement.... Aron is wrong.

Ok I'll see myself out now
    akritenbrinkElisaMichelleMichaelVCassidyReniPS
    I'm back to see if @A_Ron_Hubbard has explained himself yet!

Angie Kritenbrink

• hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Lost is the best show ever made!
    Melia004ElisaMichaelVCassidyakritenbrinkTravisThomas
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Lost is the worst show ever made!
    Melia004akritenbrinkTravisThomas
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    I also have opinions on LOST the TV show!
    akritenbrink
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I thought @A_Ron_Hubbard already explained himself pretty well in the other Lost thread.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited May 10

Not to speak for A Ron, but...

If you think that start to finish that Lost was an artistic triumph, I'd say that you hold a minority view and the onus is on you to defy the consensus view.

If you're willing to recognize that despite getting off to an incredible start and at least in some ways is responsible for revolutionizing television (was it responsible for kicking off the 'golden age' of modern tv?) it ultimately ended poorly, then you can probably understand how someone could view it as a failure when measured as a whole.

(and "ending poorly" I'm not referring to series finale - I'm referring to the entire winding down process that the show went down leading up to and including the entire finale season).

• voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    @CretanBull On a serious note (and also not to speak for Aron), I agree with all that.  In the same way that, say, Twin Peaks succeeded in some ways but IMO failed to live up to its initial promise, LOST was a hugely influential show and was by and large entertaining even in the latter seasons and the story got more and more convoluted/ridiculous, it just didn't wind up being what it felt like it could (and maybe should) have been.  Obviously everybody is entitled to their opinions (and I'm sure those vary from "it was never good" to "it was always good" and everywhere in between) but from what I've seen that seems to be a pretty popular take.
    CretanBull
  • At first I was like

Then I remembered how these threads always go

@pavlovsbell The *Michael Jackson eating popcorn* gif was absolutely the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread lol

pavlovsbell
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    My gripe would be with calling something a failure without watching it for yourself. The hive mind around lost often originates from people who didn't even watch it - who's opinions are formed from people who misunderstood it. I hear so many people say something to the effect of, "I didn't watch the Lost, but I hope The Leftovers dosent pull a Lindelof and suck at the end. " How about being an original thinker and either watch Lost for yourself or reserve judgements until you do.

Im not directing this at Aron. Just to people who
    accept a certain groupthink as fact when, when that group think is either uninformed or misinformed
    PS
  • My gripe would be with calling something a failure without watching it for yourself. The hive mind around lost often originates from people who didn't even watch it - who's opinions are formed from people who misunderstood it. I hear so many people say something to the effect of, "I didn't watch the Lost, but I hope The Leftovers dosent pull a Lindelof and suck at the end. " How about being an original thinker and either watch Lost for yourself or reserve judgements until you do.

accept a certain groupthink as fact when, when that group think is either uninformed or misinformed

I watched Lost and I hope The Leftovers doesn't pull a Lindelof and suck at the end ;)

On a side note, what would it take for @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard to be dissatisfied with the ending of this show. I believe they have always been honest in their reviews and opinions of the show, but I feel like they enjoy it so much it could skew how they view the ending. Can we have a borometer from one or both of them of a plausible awful ending that would put them off?
    voodoorat
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

My gripe would be with calling something a failure without watching it for yourself. The hive mind around lost often originates from people who didn't even watch it - who's opinions are formed from people who misunderstood it. I hear so many people say something to the effect of, "I didn't watch the Lost, but I hope The Leftovers dosent pull a Lindelof and suck at the end. " How about being an original thinker and either watch Lost for yourself or reserve judgements until you do.

In the same way that your comment wasn't directed at A Ron, this isn't directed at you - I'm just using your post as a springboard to leap from...

Equally annoying is being told that you didn't understand it when you say that you didn't like it.  It's a hair-trigger reaction from a certain set of fans where I can't even finish explaining why I found the later part of the series unsatisfying before some snide prick (again, not directed at you!) starts telling me that I didn't understand it.  I got it, I understood it, nothing about it went over my head - it just wasn't very good, by which I mean that the winding down of the series was substantially weaker than the set up.

phoenyx1023MichaelVCassidyDeeDaveyMac
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    NO! No! No! Your an asshole!..... Oh wait..are we not at that point yet?
    phoenyx1023akritenbrinkTravisMichelle
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa

In the same way that your comment wasn't directed at A Ron, this isn't directed at you - I'm just using your post as a springboard to leap from...

Equally annoying is being told that you didn't understand it when you say that you didn't like it.  It's a hair-trigger reaction from a certain set of fans where I can't even finish explaining why I found the later part of the series unsatisfying before some snide prick (again, not directed at you!) starts telling me that I didn't understand it.  I got it, I understood it, nothing about it went over my head - it just wasn't very good, by which I mean that the winding down of the series was substantially weaker than the set up.

I love your comment and I completely get and respect your opinion - while also knowing there are others like you who watched it, got it, and disliked it. No problems with that in any way. My issue is more with people like this guy

CretanBull
    I like how this thread has jumped into the meta-argument stage without ever having had the argument lol
    CretanBullAlkaid13hisdudeness915TravisMichelle

Angie Kritenbrink

• TravisTravis CA
    edited May 10
    My thing with LOST is that I think a big part of my enjoyment of the show was simply that I didn't really ask anything from it. I give people the point that the show more or less begged you to get out your shovel, and maybe worked hard to set themselves up for all of the dissatisfaction, but that's just not what I wanted. I saw it as a very intriguing ride with characters that I found myself caring for and curious about, and for that I found it very satisfying. When it ended I thought they put a nice little bow on things and gave some closure. Was it the best possible finale? I don't believe so, but I always wondered if so much of why people were so unhappy had to do with feeling like the show owed them things, and that made me wonder how bad the finale could have been if they had made it their goal to simply line up all of the big, pressing questions and attempt to answer them. Maybe there was (pardon the pun) a ton of smoke being blown out of a lot of asses, but I never really needed to know everything about what happened. Sure, there were some dangling threads that were probably regretable, but you know happens when you get too many answers? You get the latter seasons X-Files that was so wrapped up in its mythology that the show just felt way too far up its own ass. 

I liked the ride and I liked the ending. It wasn't perfect, to be sure, but I think they did what they needed to do. It's not my favorite show, it doesn't make my top 20, but it was a good ride.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

I never watched Lost. When other people mention it, I always think it was a reality show a la Survivor. I just wanted to share the complete thoughts I had in my head about Lost.

Angie Kritenbrink

• I never watched Lost. When other people mention it, I always think it was a reality show a la Survivor. I just wanted to share the complete thoughts I had in my head about Lost.

Soooo you're going to be THAT person....
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited May 10
    To truly understand Lost you must solve the Valenzetti equation, that's why nobody gets it ;-p
    https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lostpedia/images/7/77/Valenzettiequationfull.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080728151532
    Michelle
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 10
    I've never seen a show where its fans get so apoplectic if you dare to say you didn't like it. I've also never seen a show where its fans get so condescending if you didn't like it. "You just didn't get it." FFS - the people who hang around boards like this are hardcore TV/movie fans. They get it. Some of us just don't like it, and that's okay. I don't get all ragey if someone doesn't like Freaks and Geeks. Or Boardwalk Empire. Or any of my other favourite things. TV is subjective. And entertainment. Let it go, Lost fans.

Also, Lost did not usher in the golden years of television or start the ball rolling or whatever a bunch of people said in other threads. That was Twin Peaks. Also a flawed show that some loved and many hated.
    TravisDaveyMac
  • Dee said:

I've never seen a show where its fans get so apoplectic if you dare to say you didn't like it. I've also never seen a show where its fans get so condescending if you didn't like it. "You just didn't get it." FFS - the people who hang around boards like this are hardcore TV/movie fans. They get it. Some of us just don't like it, and that's okay. I don't get all ragey if someone doesn't like Freaks and Geeks. Or Boardwalk Empire. Or any of my other favourite things. TV is subjective. And entertainment. Let it go, Lost fans.

Also, Lost did not usher in the golden years of television or start the ball rolling or whatever a bunch of people said in other threads. That was Twin Peaks. Also a flawed show that some loved and many hated.

..... you didn't like Boardwalk Empire? What's wrong with you?

;)
    KingKobra
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited May 10

"I ultimately think that LOST was a creative failure, which I know pisses a lot of people off, but it was a worthy one."
    @A_Ron_Hubbard

A.Ron, instead of derailing the enjoyable discussion about The Leftovers 3.05, I decided to create a separate thread for this topic.Truly, I don't want to get into another debate about LOST (good/not good, liked/disliked, ending was great/sucked, yadda yadda, etc.. That is a well-worn topic on this forum.) As I recall, you weren't much of a LOST fan. So much so that you "noped out" after a season.

Help me understand: How is LOST a creative failure? And what are examples of other shows that have failed creatively? Maybe you just meant that you thought "it was a worthwhile failure" and the "creative" part is purely subjective. 
    I noped out after two seasons.

I don't think it accomplished what it set out to. Like, if Breaking Bad, last episode, Walter White turned a new leaf, was cured of cancer, and reconciled with his friends and family. If Vince was setting out to tell the story of Mr. Chips to Scarface, I'd say that was a creative failure.

And here is the point that at which people attempt to explain how Lost did answer all the questions it asked in the opener, despite all behind the scenes info to the contrary, and I just didn't understand the show I thought I was watching, haha. I don't see how people say that given that they had no idea where they were going to start with, by their own admission. But anyway, that's the most direct answer I can give to the question.
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis

NO! No! No! Your an asshole!..... Oh wait..are we not at that point yet?

"You're"

Your argument is invalid.
    Vasilnate1Michelle
    _____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.