American Gods Season 2

We are still in the early stages of season 1, but Season 2 has been ordered!
http://www.slashfilm.com/american-gods-season-2/
Jovial_Falcon

Comments

• What's crazy is I saw on Neil Gaiman's Twitter that it will take them five seasons to get through the end of the book. They must really be planning on fleshing out a ton of minor characters or something. Granted they are short seasons but still...Either way, I love the world Gaiman's created and even if it's uneven, I'm sure I'll enjoy the ride. I just hope the show keeps a big enough audience to for them to tell the whole story.
    Elisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 2017
    -
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Saw that American Gods might be getting a full cast in the TWD thread. 

Wasn't sure if it had been posted, but it sounds like it is likely not to be the same show. The old showrunners are out, one of whom was Bryan Fuller . I'm a Fuller fan so I'm not happy about it, though I actually didn't finish Season 1 due to my wife wanting to watch along and we never got back to it.

There were budget disagreements and apparently Neil Gaiman didn't like how much the show was deviating from the source material. Fuller did the same with Hannibal though, so I'm not sure that wasn't a good thing. Not a hard and fast rule, but I also tend to think authors should stay away from adaptations.

https://www.avclub.com/the-bryan-fuller-american-gods-breakup-was-apparently-e-1822682450

The good news is a Fuller protege is taking over and for Gaiman fans, it sounds like he's getting more involved.

Reni
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    Has Jim seen American Gods then? I feel like he'd love it, Aron didn't exactly give it the best pitch - the sexualization/violence isn't that crazy or forward thinking - though it is a part of the show and the gay muslim characters are certainly cool to see. 

What made me fall in love with the show is the personification of all these historical/mythological gods and planes of existence brought to life. The small opening scenes and vignettes (especially the Irish and slavic folklore stuff) really got me and pulled me in. That episode that tells the backstory of Mad Sweeney and Essie McGowan was absolutely beautiful. The show is about these gods and what they mean to us (and each other) in the modern world in relation to history. Love the concept to death. 

With Fuller being ousted I really hope that the show still has legs. I heard Gillian Anderson may have said she was out. 
    ElisaMofojones333
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Has Fuller ever finished a show he's started?  I gave up on him years ago (around Pushing Daisies) for that reason.   :/
    Elisa
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited February 10
    Neil Gaiman said the whole thing about him being unhappy with the previous show runners is not true. A fan on Twitter asked him about it and he said the article that people were referencing is mostly fiction. 

Also, I seem to remember him even saying that his favorite episode of the S01 was the Laura-centric one, because none of that was seen in book and it was so fresh for him.

He seems pretty open to deviations and expansion and willing to let the story change and evolve and be updated with the times.

In any case, I’m bummed about Fuller and Green leaving, but I’m still really looking forward to season 2. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Cory said:
    Has Fuller ever finished a show he's started?  I gave up on him years ago (around Pushing Daisies) for that reason.   :/
    Hannibal ?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Elisa said:
    Cory said:
    Hannibal ?
    It's a show I never finished, was Fuller there to the end?  Did the show end early or something?  I don't remember.
  • Cory said:
    Elisa said:
    Cory said:
    Hannibal ?
    It's a show I never finished, was Fuller there to the end?  Did the show end early or something?  I don't remember.
    It had a “clean” ending where they knew S3 was/could be the last season. The ending was final enough to be final, but left enough open in case they wanted to bring it back. There have been rumors of Fuller trying to get a season 4 outside of the network. 
    ElisaJovial_Falcon
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    i just hope that this getting pushed back and halted doesn't have any effect on the Deadwood movie being made!
  • Resurrecting this one from the dead, looks like a 2019 release for season 2. They are in production now. I just rewatched season 1 and forgot how much I liked this show. 
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Very cool. I have never seen anything like season one of Gods. It was an experience.
    KingKobraCecily
  • Here’s the small teaser they put out:
    https://youtu.be/tlPpP1ZMmyA

Glad to see it looks like the cast is back as well. This may get me to read the book before it comes out.