305 - "It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World"

Director: Nicole Kassell
Writer: Lila Byock & Damon Lindelof

Comments

• mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    edited May 15
    I think Lindelof heard Aron talking on lunch about the lack of male penis so far this season haha
    CoryKristinaKingKobraCarmelitaSays
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I kept wondering when they'd get around to the David Burton stuff. Welp they did..and it was over as quick as it arrived. Christopher Eccleston crushed it this episode.
    CoryKristinaElisaMelonusk
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Was this David Burton played by Bill Camp?  I couldn't tell if it was the same actor as the Man on the Bridge/Man at the Bar.
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • Was Matt speaking to a voice at the end?
  • Someone is credited as "vigorous hand job guy." His mom must be so proud.
    mwspiakKristinaTxSandManVasilnate1CretanBullReniMelonusk
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Melia004 said:

Was Matt speaking to a voice at the end?

Hmm, I assumed he was talking to Laurie, John and Michael.
    CretanBull
  • What a missed opportunity. How was this not the song for the opening credits? 

mwspiakKristina
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    This show man. I feel like every episode this season has been a great stand alone episode that I could just go back and watch just to watch it. Idk how they are going to tie it all up but I'm sad that I only get 3 more episodes.
    Kristina
  • Cory said:

Melia004 said:

I did a terrible job of tracking them then :-/
  • Cory said:

Was this David Burton played by Bill Camp?  I couldn't tell if it was the same actor as the Man on the Bridge/Man at the Bar.

Indeed it was Bill Camp.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Melia004 said:

Cory said:

Melia004 said:

I did a terrible job of tracking them then :-/
    I don't think that was just you.
  • Was the naked running man the same guy who was the doctor that gave Nora her physical last week? I've only watched the episode once and am not sure but they seemed to look very similar. Maybe I just didn't get a good enough look at his face tonight. In my defense, I was a bit "distracted" during that scene!
  • I just created an account here to beg for the podcast on this episode to be posted sooner than later. In fact, I hope the boys are recording it as we speak. :]  New to Bald Move, spent the last 3 weeks rewatching the Leftovers and listening to all the Following the Leftovers podcasts, have been all caught up and really need to hear someone talk about tonight's episode.

Maybe someone here can shed light, what does the Hebrew in the opening credits music translate to?

Reni
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vikki12 said:

Someone is credited as "vigorous hand job guy." His mom must be so proud.

I feel like it was a missed opportunity not crediting him as Rum Tum Tugger
  • A very good episode, Matt has finally been told (and finally listened) what everyone has been thinking about him. He can now move forward :)

Seeing Matt lose it completely was something special. I would have to think that this character realization/change will be needed for what is to come. Without it future decisions/actions may have been hard to explain. Having said that, this may be my least favorite episode thus far. I may have to watch again to be sure though.
    ElisaMelonusk
  • edited May 15
    I don't think I've ever had such an emotional whiplash in like 3 minutes.  The opening credits roll with hushed whispers and I'm thinking, what kind of pretentious nichey song are we getting this week Lindelof? You'll let the mystery be, but you won't let the goddamn opening credits be.

Then a guy launched a missile from a submarine, which altered Matt's journey, which put him on a boat with a pride orgy and led to one of the most satisfying arcs in the history of the show.  In Harry and Lloyd fashion... you TOTALLY redeemed yourself Lindeolf!
  • DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    "Do you kill one of two identical twins to cure cancer?" Is that the same as asking "would you sacrifice Jesus to save mankind?" assuming Jesus had a twin?
    aberry89CoryMelonuskDoubleA_Ron
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Hehe, yeah, I wasn't sure of what to make of the title sequence music, either. It turned out to be the French sailor (presumably) praying over the opening of the S'Lilot service for the High Holy Days. My French is too rusty to translate the whole thing except for obvious words like depart, world, nuclear bomb, hope, etc. I'm sure some Redditor will post a translation.

This is the link that Noel Murray of NYT helpfully provided about the S'Lihot service. Murray wrote that "this service is an occasion to prepare for Holy Days, but is not a celebration of a Holy Day itself. Make of that what you will."

GredalBee said:

I don't think I've ever had such an emotional whiplash in like 3 minutes.  The opening credits roll with hushed whispers and I'm thinking, what kind of pretentious nichey song are we getting this week Lindelof? You'll let the mystery be, but you won't let the goddamn opening credits be.

Then a guy launched a missile from a submarine, which altered Matt's journey, which put him on a boat with a pride orgy and led to one of the most satisfying arcs in the history of the show.  In Harry and Lloyd fashion... you TOTALLY redeemed yourself Lindeolf!

Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 15
    Fucking outstanding, feel like I rode a emotional roller coaster this episode, all this identical twin business maybe foreshadowing a future episode?.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    What I find interesting is the difference between David and Kevin. David apparently came back from the dead after being left in the cave and believes himself to be God, which he clearly isn't. Kevin was shot and presumably died, yet came back to life after his journey to the hotel room, yet refuses to believe he is any sort of God figure at all - which means, in my opinion, that he probably will end up being so.
    mwspiakCory
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited May 15
    MY GOD!!! (and i don't even know which one anymore)  

I can't even get in there and deconstruct it yet, i am still overwhelmed.
    FlashGordonMelonusk
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • edited May 15
    I mentioned to one of my friends in the first couple episodes that a lot of this show SHOULD drift into downright hokey territory, yet it doesn't because the world they created allows for even the most hokey things to feel like a natural response in their world.  If you had told me, in any other show, that our characters would board a ferry (because a literal nuclear bomb grounded their plane) that is full of a lion-worshiping orgy cult, literally looking to spread their seed throughout the world, I'd have called you dumb as a box of damn rocks.  Yet, here we are, and everything made sense, both thematically and on a character level.  

Also, the dog metaphor from the very first episode of the series and the first episode of this season is complete.  We are all as crazy as the dogs, it just took awhile for it to finally sink in, and like Dean tried to warn Kevin, one of those crazies finally broke off the leash, stripped down to his animalistic essentials, and got his damn paw (or paws, as the case may be) on the button.  Brilliant.   
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    This was great, the ironic Comedy from Matt at times.. just brilliant

Lori , John and Matt  talking about who beleives in what with Lori as the Sceptic, John as beleiver coming round and Matt as the zealot was brilliant and actually felt like the type of conversation that would happen amongst followers of a Jesus or Muhammed in the formation of an early religion. I loved this episode.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Loved the whole God isn't watching while a massive sex boat orgy thing happens commentary. And that exchange with Matt and "god" was awesome. Now the question is is he indeed healed again? Great episode. Gonna be tough to be that.
    No Half Measures....
  • Alkaid13 said:

Fucking outstanding, feel like I rode a emotional roller coaster this episode, all this identical twin business maybe foreshadowing a future episode?.

Perhaps an Underneath-like alternate "twin" dimension?
  • Not that it terribly important - but - whose sub was that?  There aren't too many countries with nuclear subs - USA, Russia, Great Britain, France - who else??
    So what? No f*kin ziti now?
  • I watched all 3 episodes of American Gods yesterday and Leftovers ep.5 today.

Is this the month of the penis ? There's penises everywhere.

As for the episode it was a great Matt centric one. But still don't know what this is leading to.

We also got a big cat kill very similar to the Shiva kill in TWD.

I'm also sad there are only 3 episodes left - It has been one of the greatest tv shows of all 
    time for me so far - Don't let us down Damon and Perrotta.
  • fidoz Houston
    tom_g said:

Not that it terribly important - but - whose sub was that?  There aren't too many countries with nuclear subs - USA, Russia, Great Britain, France - who else??

They mention several times that it was French. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    tom_g said:

Not that it terribly important - but - whose sub was that?  There aren't too many countries with nuclear subs - USA, Russia, Great Britain, France - who else??

It thought it was France's, there was a news report at some point (I think when Matt went to recruit the pilot) that mentioned France was denying any involvemet and not answering any questions despite high pressure from the UN, or something to that effect.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:

What I find interesting is the difference between David and Kevin. David apparently came back from the dead after being left in the cave and believes himself to be God, which he clearly isn't. Kevin was shot and presumably died, yet came back to life after his journey to the hotel room, yet refuses to believe he is any sort of God figure at all - which means, in my opinion, that he probably will end up being so.

Anyone think David Burton is coming back from this?