American Gods - 103 - Head Full of Snow (No Book Spoilers)

DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
edited May 15 in Other TV
Dir. David Slade
Writ. Bryan Fuller and Michael Green

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Just finishing up this episode. I thought this series was gonna be too heavy on the fantasy. It definitely is heavy on fantasy but I like it and can't wait till the next episode.
    KingKobraDaveyMacElisapavlovsbell
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    I watched the first 3 episodes today and idk what the hell is going on but I like it enough to watch the rest of the first season. it kind of reminds me of preacher. It definitely has a comic book feel to it.
    DaveyMacElisapavlovsbell
  • Still one heck of a show. They are for sure taking their time setting up everything. It seems, at least to me that this show is getting better and better.

(BTW @DaveyMac you may want to add the no book spoilers in the title ;) ).
    DaveyMacElisapavlovsbell
  • Thanks for the heads-up on the title @KingKobra . Completely slipped my mind. 

Just caught up with the episode and really enjoyed it. Ian McShane brings a smile to my face every time he's on screen. He's absolutely killing it.
    KingKobraElisapavlovsbell
  • Watched all 3 episodes yesterday and the show is definitely intriguing.

Yes, this is all setup so far and this it's great. Who is good ? Who is bad ? 
    What's Shadows role in all this ?

• aberry89aberry89 California
    edited May 18
    Big ups to the writers of the show for having an actual full on sex scene between two men, two men of Middle Eastern decent no less.  I cannot IMAGINE the twitter storm that must have rained on bryan fuller and co. because of it, or even people not returnign to show because of it. I can't even imagine getting mad over such a gorgeously shot scene. Fuller doesn't pull his fucking punches, on anything he does, I have so much respect for that. 

ElisaDaveyMacpavlovsbellphoenyx1023
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    I'm enjoying the show a lot, it's visually very striking and the fantastical core idea is right in my wheelhouse.  I read the book, but it's been a long time and my memory of the plot (as it was--I don't remember there being that much cohesion to it) is pretty hazy.

That was a pretty long scene too, @aberry89, longer than most obligatory TV hetero formulaic sex scenes.  Or maybe it just seemed longer because I'm so unused to seeing gay sex scenes, I dunno.
    DaveyMac
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    aberry89 said:

Big ups to the writers of the show for having an actual full on sex scene between two men, two men of Middle Eastern decent no less.  I cannot IMAGINE the twitter storm that must have rained on bryan fuller and co. because of it, or even people not returnign to show because of it. I can't even imagine getting mad over such a gorgeously shot scene. Fuller doesn't pull his fucking punches, on anything he does, I have so much respect for that. 

I loved the sex scene, and I usually roll my eyes at or mentally check out of sex scenes because they are usually not interesting or they are done poorly. This one was part of the story, and I felt like I was intruding on an intimate and romantic moment. Super happy to have nonhetero and muslim representation.

I think I liked this episode the most out of the three we've had so far. It felt the most cohesive with the theme of belief and questioning the difference between reality and fantasy. I'm glad Shadow finally took some agency (manipulated Czernobog), and I enjoyed him and Wednesday with the whole bank thing. Although I wish Shadow had more personality, Ian McShane continues to wow. I loved the opening, especially that it was a warm and peaceful depiction of death.

DaveyMacElisa
    voodoorat said:

I'm enjoying the show a lot, it's visually very striking and the fantastical core idea is right in my wheelhouse.  I read the book, but it's been a long time and my memory of the plot (as it was--I don't remember there being that much cohesion to it) is pretty hazy.

That was a pretty long scene too, @aberry89, longer than most obligatory TV hetero formulaic sex scenes.  Or maybe it just seemed longer because I'm so unused to seeing gay sex scenes, I dunno.
    I can't really say if it was longer or not. I think because it was sex from beginning to end, which you rarely see on tv. Sex is usually push open a door, fall onto the bed or hard cut to people thrusting and moaning...tv shows looove that.  But I think it was really important to see these two men from meeting, to seduction to sex. Made it seem far more intimate and had an underlying story to it. That's how use sexuality positively on TV!!   @voodoorat ;
    Elisa

aberry89 said:

I loved the sex scene, and I usually roll my eyes at or mentally check out of sex scenes because they are usually not interesting or they are done poorly. This one was part of the story, and I felt like I was intruding on an intimate and romantic moment. Super happy to have nonhetero and muslim representation.

I think I liked this episode the most out of the three we've had so far. It felt the most cohesive with the theme of belief and questioning the difference between reality and fantasy. I'm glad Shadow finally took some agency (manipulated Czernobog), and I enjoyed him and Wednesday with the whole bank thing. Although I wish Shadow had more personality, Ian McShane continues to wow. I loved the opening, especially that it was a warm and peaceful depiction of death.

I loved the opening too! (that had a very Dead Like Me vibe, another Fuller show)I hope we get MORE egyption gods and myths! I haven't read the book so I don't know how all these gods factor into the greater story at point. But honestly, i couldnt give less of a shit about some random leprechaun guy, I want some Osiris and Horus and Sobek in the mix!!

ElisaDaveyMacpavlovsbell
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    This was definitely my favorite episode - end to end.  Good feelings all around.  I truly believe this show is coming together nicely.
    DaveyMacpavlovsbell
    When do we get new episodes?
  • kingbee67 said:

When do we get new episodes?

Every Sunday....
    Thanks
  • I loved the Anubis opening as well. The woman's reaction to everything was just so great. I also loved how she questioned why Anubis was there, saying that she had a muslim household and his answer about how she was introduced to him as a child. So cool to see different religions and faiths crossing boundaries. 
    ElisaKingKobrapavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @kingbee67 The episodes drop midnight Sunday Eastern time, so 9 pm Saturday your time (CA). But Starz does not officially broadcast them until 9 pm E on Sundays.