GRRM breaking more news on the GOT prequels

All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
edited May 15 in Game of Thrones
http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html?

First off: it will NOT be about Roberts Rebellion (thank god) or the Dunk n Egg tales.

There is also now a 5th script being developed by a mystery writer he described but would not name. The internet is playing the guessing game. My money is on Bryan Cogman.

Comments

• LukeLuke Central Illinois
    As a hardcore Tolkien fan it really sticks in my craw the way GRRM compares his work to LOTR.

Tolkien spent his entire career building the backstory and lore behind LOTR.

I mean his son was able to publish like 16 books with of drafts and notes after he died.

Tolkien was all about world building, even to the point of affecting the actual readability of the books. He didn't give a shit. He wanted it to read like a historical text that had been retranslated and compiled from other sources and languages (going so far as to fully develop those languages).

GRRM doesn't even know how to end the actual saga and here is he trying to hype up his seconday stories. It's basically the opposite of Tolkien. Instead of careful planning it's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

• Luke said:

As a hardcore Tolkien fan it really sticks in my craw the way GRRM compares his work to LOTR.

I mean his son was able to publish like 16 books with of drafts and notes after he died.

Tolkien was all about world building, even to the point of affecting the actual readability of the books. He didn't give a shit. He wanted it to read like a historical text that had been retranslated and compiled from other sources and languages (going so far as to fully develop those languages).

GRRM doesn't even know how to end the actual saga and here is he trying to hype up his seconday stories. It's basically the opposite of Tolkien. Instead of careful planning it's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Do you mean in general? Because he didn't really compare his work to Tolkien's in that post. His only mention of him was when he gave credit to Tolkien for a term he created. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    There are many things I can knock GRRM for, but world building isn't one.. Its his obsession. Even a piece of fruit in his universe seems to have a backstory that could have it's own book written about it.

There's already plenty of details in his main series and ancillary books (including the A World of Ice and Fire "historical" document) to write dozens of books. But when GRRM is dead and gone, there's going to be enough "notes" and materials to write a thousand books, if he should allow it.
  • Shouldn't this go in the GoT section? :p
    KingKobra said:

Shouldn't this go in the GoT section? :p

It should
    edited May 15
    Anyhow, this quote from his post are my exact thoughts about the Roberts Rebellion series. And its really why I hope they go WAY back in the histories and lore where the stories are more mythologized. I'm talking Invasion of the Andals or the First Men. Its a much more creative sandbox for writers to play in. There's no story beats they are forced to hit to stay true to the texts.

-------
    "We're not doing Robert's Rebellion either. I know thousands of you want that, I know there's a petition... but by the time I finish writing A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, you will know every important thing that happened in Robert's Rebellion. There would be no surprises or revelations left in such a show, just the acting out of conflicts whose resolutions you already know. That's not a story I want to tell just now; it would feel too much like a twice-told tale. "
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Luke said:

I don't know if he doesn't know how to end it -even if he hasn't written it yet, which I DOUBT but no one agrees with me, lol, it doesn't mean he hasn't outlined it and thought through the backstories and world building and everything.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Dummy said:

Luke said:

Do you mean in general? Because he didn't really compare his work to Tolkien's in that post. His only mention of him was when he gave credit to Tolkien for a term he created. 
    I don't really see it so much as giving him credit as it is him humble bragging. he was trying to pass off what is clearly something that was never planned out and is a cash grab spinoff (doesn't mean I can't be good entertainment though) as the same thing as the Silmarillion which had to be post humerusly published and was mostly just cobbled together from the decades long backstory work Tolkien had laid out.

GRRM is an entertaining writer, but I for one have lost any faith that he had any idea where he was going with these novels or the world in general.

The difference between him and Tolkien is when Tolkien named dropped Gondolin in The Hobbit he already damn well knew what it was and how it fit into his mythos.

When GRRM name drops something like Ashai or Valeria I'm pretty sure he had no freaking idea where he might go with it.

It's he only explaination of why so many things that seemed so important in the books didn't even make the show.

Yeah I'm jaded but I'm just tired of GRRM getting out on a higher pedestal than IMO he deserves.

I guess if he eventually drops Winds and Dream of Spring and it somehow all ties in with these spinoffs I'll eat my hat. But I'm 99.999% sure the books are never getting finished.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    You just know when Jim and A. Ron read this they both looked at each other and yelled "fuck yes, we don't have to get day jobs!"
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    GRRM and JRRT both have RRs in the middle and created really amazingly fleshed-out universes.  They're both also I think technically good writers, although their storytelling as far as characters and motivations and stuff couldn't be much more different.  I love them both although only one of them has finished his fucking story.

That said, I think it's the universes that they made which are the special sauce, lots of people can write good stories (with sort of cardboard or complex characters), not everybody can create a compelling world history and mythology from whole cloth.