WNBA

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
edited May 15 in General
Anyone but me follow the WNBA? The regular season started this weekend. When the Sonics left Seattle, the Storm stayed behind so it's our only pro basketball team and it's really fun to go to their games. We went to the home opener today. here are some pics!

warmups (it was exciting because Brianna Stewart has been day-to-day and she was warming up)

This little chick is a tough rookie

Instead of scantily clad cheerleaders, they have a kid dance team.
cdrive

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Basketball is the greatest sport in the history of sports. So I can understand the entertainment value of following the WNBA if your city got absolutely robbed of it's NBA team. Our Comets died in '08 but Sheryl Swoopes was GOAT. 4 championships 97-00.
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    cdrive said:

Basketball is the greatest sport in the history of sports. So I can understand the entertainment value of following the WNBA if your city got absolutely robbed of it's NBA team. Our Comets died in '08 but Sheryl Swoopes was GOAT. 4 championships 97-00.

Yeah, it's not just that though. I was fan of the WNBA as well as the NBA before I came to Seattle, and we were only here for a few years when the Sonics left. I have to admit I hadn't paid attention to either for a while, and then the Olympics last year got me back interested in it. I mean obviously the mens' and womens' games are different, but I kind of like the women's game better. They don't dunk or have the firepower a lot of the men do (well, most of them) but they execute a lot of interesting plays or just consistently score and score and score like Jewell Loyd, who is super consistent, not flashy at all, but in the 3rd quarter you look up and she's well over 20 points. I've seen some really tough defense like this block by Breanna Stewart or basically everything Alana Beard did on Saturday against the Storm. The scoring is a bit lower, although the games are also shorter, and the score of the game I went to this weekend was in the 80s so with the extra 8 minutes, who knows. I think the teamwork and humility are there in a way they aren't in the NBA; it feels more like an elite level college game, which I like. And instead of poorly paid and scantily clad cheerleaders (which is sort of retrograde and icky) they have kid dancers that wear sporty clothes similar to basketball uniforms, at least in Seattle. :) It could be because I am a woman that I vibe off of it more, but neither hubby or I are huge sports fans and we both really like the WNBA. Honestly and I am not just saying this, I have more fun at the Storm games than I ever had at any NBA games I went to. The Storm does sell tickets, though, and we've even been to sold out games, but some of the other WNBA teams don't do quite as well, unfortunately. So that might not be quite as fun, IDK.

And there is my essay on my love for the WNBA! LOL!
    cdrive
  • I played basketball in college, and everyone expects me to love the WNBA, but I could not be more uninterested. I barely even like the NBA until the playoffs. Idk what's wrong with me lol.
    akritenbrink

I played basketball in college, and everyone expects me to love the WNBA, but I could not be more uninterested. I barely even like the NBA until the playoffs. Idk what's wrong with me lol.

Do you watch college basketball or are you just done?
  • @akritenbrink I might tune in during March Madness, but no I'm not really interested in any of it. It might be because I'd been playing competitively since I was 8, went to a state championship high school, and then in college it was hardcore. Like a really high pressure job that I had to perform well at or else I wouldn't have school paid for anymore lol. My boyfriend tries to get me to play 1-on-1 with him all the time and I hate it.
    akritenbrink

@akritenbrink I might tune in during March Madness, but no I'm not really interested in any of it. It might be because I'd been playing competitively since I was 8, went to a state championship high school, and then in college it was hardcore. Like a really high pressure job that I had to perform well at or else I wouldn't have school paid for anymore lol. My boyfriend tries to get me to play 1-on-1 with him all the time and I hate it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was like that with music. I played the flute in high school and practiced all the time, became very competitive, was one of the top players in the state and then when I was done, I was done. I barely even played in college. I did join an orchestra but I couldn't bring myself to practice and I eventually quit.