Anne of Green Gables on Netflix

trippytrippy Saint Louis
So,  anyone watching this?

I would have likely given this a pass, had not my Mom been up in arms and worried about it (as she had been as much of a hardcore Anne fan as any die hard trekker, tolkeinite, or harry potter fan  in her day).   Oh how she worried "could they be true to the books!?!?!?!?!". After informing her that her concerns over some stupid kids book were completely different from any concerns I may or may not have said about Game of Thrones,  we agreed we'd watch the first one (She out of her sad, silly, childish fandom, and I to see if it would be too young for my daughter who is 12).   I have to admit that one of the things that made me willing to watch it was that Moira Walley-BEcket Writer/Producer of Breaking Bad(!) is running the show.

We discussed our findings on Mothers day and well... Its pretty damn good.  It is a kids show, to be sure.  But very good, and has some grit to it.  At least the first episode did.   Mom was quite pleased and surprised.   The actress who plays Anne I have to say absolutely nails it. I look forward to seeing her in other things.

Any Anne of GReen Gables fans who liked this? hated it?
_____
Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
-Anon.

Comments

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    It's great! It began airing in Canada a few months ago and I've been raving about it to anyone who will listen!
  • I had no interest in it until I saw Moira Walley-Beckett wrote all episodes. My wife's really hooked on it and I've only seen bits and pieces so far. It does look gritty. The opening credits are really striking as well.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA

It's great! It began airing in Canada a few months ago and I've been raving about it to anyone who will listen!

If I was still 13-16 I might watch it, I read the book, at least the first one, when I was 14 and liked it but it seemed even then like I was too old for the book. Some day I'll visit Prince Edward Island just because I read the book. I also caught the CBC movie years ago (and the Bald Movies commissioned cast of that movie was great) 
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    @DaveyMac As you are in Tokyo I would be interested to see how its fairing in your neck of the woods,  as it is my understanding that Anne of Green Gables has been _huge_  in Japan for decades and decades.
    _____
    -Anon.

If I was still 13-16 I might watch it, I read the book, at least the first one, when I was 14 and liked it but it seemed even then like I was too old for the book. Some day I'll visit Prince Edward Island just because I read the book. I also caught the CBC movie years ago (and the Bald Movies commissioned cast of that movie was great) 

This version of the show is WAY more mature than any previous version.  I'm not even sure if I'd classify it as a kids show, maybe more like a show for teens?  It's dark, and gritty and deals with things like the (for lack of a better term) PTSD associated with childhood trauma...Anne is clearly haunted by her past in this version of the show.

The early promos for this show were really well done...they showed really dark images, almost like it was a horror movie with a voice-over saying "from the executive producer of Breaking Bad comes..." and its super creepy, then Anne pops up and says "hello" with a smile on her face and changes the tone entirely.  It almost came across as like a SNL parody commercial!

trippy said:

@DaveyMac As you are in Tokyo I would be interested to see how its fairing in your neck of the woods,  as it is my understanding that Anne of Green Gables has been _huge_  in Japan for decades and decades.

A friend of mine was in Japan last year, when people found out that she was Canadian they instantly brought up two things - Wayne Gretzky and Anne of Green Gables!
    DaveyMac
  • JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    I agree that it's probably better suited to teenagers. I got a little bored of it, and I think that's why. However, it's very well done. I've teared up in parts. 

(Can I say I hate the opening credits, though I know objectively they aren't bad? I just hate them. Most of my hatred is for the song. "You are ahead by a century?" Ugh, don't tell me what the story means, and I don't even think it's about that.) 

I still have 2 episodes left. 

edited May 16
    JaimieT said:

(Can I say I hate the opening credits, though I know objectively they aren't bad? I just hate them. Most of my hatred is for the song. "You are ahead by a century?" Ugh, don't tell me what the story means, and I don't even think it's about that.) 

That song is arguably the most beloved song by The Tragically Hip, the most -by far- successful Canadian band, ever.  They've sold 8 million albums in Canada alone, that's the relative equivalent of selling 80 million records in America (which is about what Michael Jackson sold in America!).

About a year ago their singer announced that he had terminal brain cancer and they did their farewell tour...the last concert of the tour was broadcast on live TV - all 3 hours, commercial free - (they pre-empted the Olympics to do it!) and the entire country literally shut down to watch it. 13 million Canadians watched it (relatively speaking, about 10 million more than the largest Super Bowl in American history).

"Ahead by a Century" was the last song that they played, and it's impossible to think of that performance and not tear up.

Hating on that song here would be roughly the same as burning an American flag while strangling a bald eagle and shitting on an apple pie in front of the Washington monument.  Maybe worse :)

• aberry89aberry89 California
    edited May 16
    As an Anne myself, (yeeees, spelled with an "E")  I was a big fan of the books and the tv series growing up.

I checked out the new one, and oooohhh gawd, just from that opeining credits scene I was turned off. But, that was my 90's nostalgia talking. But once i got into the episode, I just couldn't get over how much i preferred the performances in the 90's tv version. The casting is perfect in the old - it's really hard to play haughty, smart and strong willed without coming off as annoying but the original actress did it, I kinda can't get into this new one. It doesn't feel natural, like that actresshas to push to be Anne. 

And you CANNOT get better than Colleen Dewhurst as Merlliah, GOD she was awesome. 
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"

^ Is that the one with Sarah Polley?  I think it was called "Road to Avonlea"?  Wasn't Anne not even in that series?

edited May 17

^ Is that the one with Sarah Polley?  I think it was called "Road to Avonlea"?  Wasn't Anne not even in that series?

I cant tell exaclty if you are addressing my comment? But, I think a later series, like a couple years after the original came out, there was Road to Avonlea. Where she is older and is a teacher. 

This is orginal one I am tlaking about it though 

“No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    LOL. I don't think you can scale up Canada like that. It's more homogenous than the US for a lot of reasons, with size being an obvious factor. Also there's a difference between state-sanctioned symbols and pop culture, but whatever. Point is, I actually don't hate the song. I hate the song FOR THE SHOW, and now that you've stated it's a song that makes you emotional, I can apologize for not communicating myself better.
    CretanBull
    edited May 17
    aberry89 said:

I cant tell exaclty if you are addressing my comment? But, I think a later series, like a couple years after the original came out, there was Road to Avonlea. Where she is older and is a teacher. 

This is orginal one I am tlaking about it though 

This was my moms benchmark as well.   I don't think this was a 'series' as it was a bunch of specials.  regardless Mom was very very very very very worried.   Like I said tho, She ended up pretty enthused by the show,  tho she agrees that its not as good as the 80s/90s/ version.   

I think Moira is trying to introduce the actual aspects, for example, of what orphanage "Asylum" life was like, and give a more realistic view into the strength of the Anne character.   It does give a more darker origin to her imagination and why she retreats to there.  Not something the source material dwelled on to be sure.
    _____
    -Anon.
    JaimieT said:

LOL. I don't think you can scale up Canada like that. It's more homogenous than the US for a lot of reasons, with size being an obvious factor. Also there's a difference between state-sanctioned symbols and pop culture, but whatever. Point is, I actually don't hate the song. I hate the song FOR THE SHOW, and now that you've stated it's a song that makes you emotional, I can apologize for not communicating myself better.

Having worked in the music industry for the better part of the 90's, I can tell you that in terms of album sales that scaling is valid.  Canada isn't more homogenous at all.  The Greater Toronto area (which accounts for about 1/5th of the country's population) is the most diverse city in the world (that's a fact, not hyperbole)

No need to apologize - it was meant more as a light hearted (but impassioned!) defence that I was duty bound to make :)

• JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    edited May 17

JaimieT said:

Having worked in the music industry for the better part of the 90's, I can tell you that in terms of album sales that scaling is valid.  Canada isn't more homogenous at all.  The Greater Toronto area (which accounts for about 1/5th of the country's population) is the most diverse city in the world (that's a fact, not hyperbole)

No need to apologize - it was meant more as a light hearted (but impassioned!) defence that I was duty bound to make :)

Okay, I stand corrected on "homogeneous." I shall blame my famous American ignorance about anything outside the US. ;)

I was listening to the song again tonight (via the Anne intro, finishing up the last 2 eps) and it is rather good. I should look into this band. Really beautiful harmonizing. I was imagining that this song had a lot of meaning for me, had become ubiquitous in my culture, and the sequence felt more glowy and comforting.

However, from a technical standpoint, I still don't like it for the show...

Edit: I forgot to mention, I laughed out loud at the timing of the credits sequence in the last episode. It was downright sloppy. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    edited May 17
    Spoiler-free review of the season

I think what makes Anne of Green Gables such great escapism is how foreign its problems are to us. They're relatable, but different. Although people die and orphans search for love, Avonlea is a conclave of optimism, set apart from the rest of the world. What the stories have always avoided are serious issues, issues of someone threatening another person's life or livelihood, someone becoming a threat to their own life.

Those that have seen the season might extrapolate, then, that I absolutely hated the finale. The part with the gun? I was laughing.

I teared up throughout the season, but that just tells me the show does sentimental really well. I visited the Coke museum in Atlanta and fucking teared up in their intro video. (Coke also does sentimental really well.) 

The acting was good, the drama was good, but the last episode makes me think they've nowhere else to turn. Downton Abbey did this too, IIRC. The problem is, I think the show does have places to turn... there's a lot of story left!

I'm frustrated. I don't know if I'll continue. 6.5/10
    JaimieT said:

JaimieT said:

Okay, I stand corrected on "homogeneous." I shall blame my famous American ignorance about anything outside the US. ;)

I was listening to the song again tonight (via the Anne intro, finishing up the last 2 eps) and it is rather good. I should look into this band. Really beautiful harmonizing. I was imagining that this song had a lot of meaning for me, had become ubiquitous in my culture, and the sequence felt more glowy and comforting.

However, from a technical standpoint, I still don't like it for the show...

Edit: I forgot to mention, I laughed out loud at the timing of the credits sequence in the last episode. It was downright sloppy. 

I think this is a nice summary....I'll post it here then let the topic get back on track :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36399891

JaimieT
  • @trippy Not sure how this iteration is fairing, especially as Netflix is still relatively new over here and it's not as widespread as it is elsewhere. It's weird to say, but once it hits the rental shops here, it may become more. If I were Netflix, though, I'd be hitting up all the Japanese talk shows and stuff and get celebrities to chat it up as I think it would be a hit. I used to teach English over here, and I can't tell you how many hundreds of women I've met who loved Anne of Green Gables, and many of them had been to Prince Edward Island. I'm not sure how big it is with younger generations, but wow is it popular with certain demographics. 
  • I see there's a lot of hate for the opening credits on here. I must say, even though I said they were striking in my first comment, I actually haven't seen the credits all the way through or with the sound. Just when I was looking up from whatever I was doing on the computer and I thought they looked cool from the few images I saw, so I really was speaking without the full picture. But I do agree that they definitely don't match the show at least the few scenes I've seen.

Just curious - how many people who are watching this are familiar with Canadian tv in general?

Whenever I try to get an American friend to watch one of our shows, I always have to start by saying that there's way less money in Canadian television so don't expect the same production values etc.

It's not a coincidence that the (probably?) most famous Canadian TV show was SCTV...a show about a low budget tv network!

• JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    I see there's a lot of hate for the opening credits on here. I must say, even though I said they were striking in my first comment, I actually haven't seen the credits all the way through or with the sound. Just when I was looking up from whatever I was doing on the computer and I thought they looked cool from the few images I saw, so I really was spelaking without the full picture. But I do agree that they definitely don't match the show at least the few scenes I've seen.
    Yeah, there's one image that is absolutely stunning. It does a right pan over to her eye/s... can't remember other identifiers ATM, but it might be the only one where you see her face dead-on.
    DaveyMac
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited May 17

Just curious - how many people who are watching this are familiar with Canadian tv in general?

Whenever I try to get an American friend to watch one of our shows, I always have to start by saying that there's way less money in Canadian television so don't expect the same production values etc.

It's not a coincidence that the (probably?) most famous Canadian TV show was SCTV...a show about a low budget tv network!

The only Canadian TV series I've watched all of is the trailer park boys. 

talk about producing on a low budget, but it's excellently written. And TPB cuts cultural lines, because every character on that show reminds me of someone I know. 

The only Canadian TV series I've watched all of is the trailer park boys. 

talk about producing on a low budget, but it's excellently written. And TPB cuts cultural lines, because every character on that show reminds me of someone I know. 

I've seen most of the earlier episodes but lost track of it along the way...I'll get back to it one day!

@DaveyMac Yeah My mom had made her pilgrimage to PEI some years ago and was like "Why are all of these Japanese people here? And they've all dyed their hair red". 
    DaveyMac
    _____
    -Anon.
    What are some good Canadian comedy's i can watch. Cause I swear to god, you canadians are THE FUNNIEST. Like whenever i see an actor who i think is hilarious, look him or her up, yep, of course they are Canadian...something in the water ;)

• DeeDee Adelaide
    My experience of Canadian TV is original Degrassi and The Newsroom (the funny one from the 90s, not the rich white man wankfest one from a couple of years ago).
    trippy
    aberry89 said:

What are some good Canadian comedy's i can watch. Cause I swear to god, you canadians are THE FUNNIEST. Like whenever i see an actor who i think is hilarious, look him or her up, yep, of course they are Canadian...something in the water ;)

There's a theory about cold weather breeding comedy...for years the biggest comedy scene in America was in Boston.  In the UK most of the top comics are from the North.  And Canada...SCTV, Saturday Night Live (Lorne Michaels and half the cast/writers), Kids in the Hall etc

It's between seasons right now, but there's a show on now called Mr. D that I like.  It's Canadian, but it has a more typical British sense of humour (the main character has a little Office/David Brent in him).  It's about an incompetent teacher who thinks that he's loved by all of the students, but really isn't popular with them at all.

It's a bit dated now, but there's a great show (I think all of the episodes are on youtube now) called "Corner Gas", I think that its great!  It's a fish out of water story about a big-city, urbane woman from Toronto who ends up moving to a very small town in rural Saskatchewan (image a born and bread New Yorker moving to rural Iowa or something like that).  All of the characters are great and they build over time.  In terms of impact and popularity, it might be something like Canada's Seinfeld?

Another really good show that's off-beat is "Nathan For You" which I think comes on either Comedy Central or MTV in America?  It's a faux reality show about a guy (Nathan) who approaches real businesses and offers them his 'expert' advice to help them make money, but he's end up getting them to go along with the craziest schemes imaginable.

A show that I love - and its definitely not for everyone - is a super low budget (probably something that you'd see on cable-access in America!) called "Nirvana, the Band, the Show" - it's on Viceland in America.  The premise of the show is that it's two guys who are in a band (who call themselves "Nirvana the Band" to fool audiences!) and the entire season is all about their efforts to book themselves a show at a (real) club in Toronto called The Rivoli - which is pretty funny in itself, because it's a small place  (100 people?) that really isn't hard to book!  The show is a mix of scripted and improv...the two main guys have a general script - they know the general story that they're trying to tell each episode - but they interact with real people on the street who have no idea that they're being filmed, so the two actors play off of whatever happens and improv on the spot.  It often falls flat, but when it works it's brilliant!

aberry89
    @aberry89 @CretanBull

CAnadians are funny?  Explain the REd Green show.
    CretanBull
    _____
    -Anon.
    edited May 18
    trippy said:

@aberry89 @CretanBull

CAnadians are funny?  Explain the REd Green show.

Not fond of duct-tape based humour? ;)
    edited May 18
    Thanks so much for all those great recommends, they all sound fantastic!

I have seen Nathan For You on comedy central. I thought it was BRILLIANT. At first the situations were making me so uncomfortable (i can watch the bbc office all day without cringing because to me it's more incredible acting on display, but when it's real situations it makes me sooo cringey)

They way they build the charachter of Nathan slowly over the seasons, dropping these really heartfelt moments turned what could have just been a funny show, to something with a bit more depth. Do you know if they are still doing more seasons or is it ended?

And holy shit, "Nirvana, the Band, the Show" -  sounds utterly amazing. I am not a huge Nirvana fan (not because I dislike their music, Cobain was a genius, it's just i was a little kid during the grunge scene)  Can i still enjoy it regardless?