The Keepers on Netflix

ThomasThomas North Carolina
edited May 21 in Other TV
Anybody watch this yet?  I think it could have been 5 episodes instead of 7, but it is an extremely important look into cover-ups by the Catholic church of sexual abuse and the corruption level of the Baltimore police department.  I would recommend it.  It doesn't have the biased entertainment value of Making a Murder, but it is more truthful and relevant. 

Comments

• aberry89aberry89 California
    Watched it, all in one day. Utterly fantastic, I think better and far more important than Netflix's previous crime doc Marking A Murderer. And I hope it gets just as much press and popularity as that one because it deserves it. After the Spotlight reveal of the Catholic Church back in the 90's I had thought that the church had made huge changes to its practices to not let this continue - and devastatingly, it seems little has changed. Perhaps, hopefully less abuse is gotten away with within the church nowadays, but the utter denial of past abuse is so fucking infuriating and astounding to me. Everyone knows your goddamn secret now guys, you have no face left to save. 

Seeing all these incredible women, from the nun's old students who started their own investigation, to the victims who came out, to the nun who was first and only one to stand up for the girls, made me so happy and proud. It is horrible that THEY had to do all this work that police should have been doing, but to see their resilience was amazing. And it made the abuse, murder and guilt the women had to go through tolerable. Although, barely. I for sure had to take breaks from this and just go outside and walk around because I don't think i have been so angry in a while. You can't comprehend how there are people in this world that are that evil.

There is so much more I want to say - about how EASILY this murder case could have been solved and the UTTER incompetence and cowardice to stand up the catholic church from the Baltimore police was shocking.  but, i will wait for more people to give thier take on this thread
    Thomasphoenyx1023
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I agree with everything you said.  I think this first season will generate enough attention that it opens up resources, gets more people to talk, and new evidence comes forward, which will lead to a second season hopefully.  It is infuriating seeing the Catholic church lie and manipulate people in order to cover up just a single priest from Baltimore's acts.  

I saw yesterday that the church came out and made public comments on the story, but the comments were just like the ones in the documentary, pointless.
    Yeah, I saw that too. I just don't understand how a church, a religious institution does not know how to ask for forgiveness when they have wronged so many. 

The church and the police  are to blame here though. I still really wonder about the other girl that was murdered after Cathy. It was exactly the same MO with the car parked out in front and everything... what the hell was going on there? Was that not the priest's call, but simply the man, (or men) that did it trying out another murder? I really wish that had been solved... I kind of wish the series had gone into the murder and trying to solve the case as far as they did with the church abuse - but I guess you kind of have to choose a path since there is so much to uncover. 

But hey, at least something good happened - C.T. Wilson got his proposal to lengthen the statute of limitations of abuse for victims. They now have until they are 38 years old to allege a abuser. I still have major problems with statute of limitations and how lax they are with rape and molestation. We know now know how emotionally and mentally damaging that violence is - so the fact that is there is a statute at all is still pretty horrible in my opinion. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-abuse-statute-20170315-story.html

I couldnt help think of the Wire a lot while watching this show, with it taking place in Baltimore and everything. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but i feel like The Wire could have devoted a whole season to church corruption and how much sway it holds the it's police force and jurisdiction (they may have, but i just can't remember).
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    This documentary series is excellent. I ate too much fiber the other day, so I just sat around and watched The Keepers and felt uncomfortable and upset about everything. 
    phoenyx1023

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Watched the first two episodes this evening, the second episode about all of the abuse victims was a tough watch.

As somebody who still has a mark on her wrist from being hit by nuns for writing left-handed at Sunday school (in the 90s ffs!), it's fair to say that my relationship with the Catholic Church isn't great. From what the two eps have shown me so far, though, it seems like Sister Cathy was one of the few good ones.
    aberry89
    Why did the Spotlight article really blow the lid of the whole abuse issue in the catholic church, and this didn't?? This court case happened before Spotlight was written??
    I just finished the series.

I'm sorry, can we talk about the fact that Koob alleges a cop literally presented him with Sister Cathy's surgically removed VAGINA in an interrogation room? What in the living fuck?
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    amyja89 said:

I'm sorry, can we talk about the fact that Koob alleges a cop literally presented him with Sister Cathy's surgically removed VAGINA in an interrogation room? What in the living fuck?
    I found that extremely hard to believe.  I really, really hope he was making it up.  
    Thomas said:

amyja89 said:

I found that extremely hard to believe.  I really, really hope he was making it up.  
    I literally don't even know what to think about it. Were the cops using some sort of prop trying to fuck with a seemingly celibate man of God to see if he would snap and confess something?

There was something about Koob in those last few eps that really rubbed me the wrong way.

edited June 5
    amyja89 said:

Thomas said:

amyja89 said:

I literally don't even know what to think about it. Were the cops using some sort of prop trying to fuck with a seemingly celibate man of God to see if he would snap and confess something?

There was something about Koob in those last few eps that really rubbed me the wrong way.

I think the cop fucking with him was exactly what was going on there. Although why the doc didint question or investigate that claim more thoroughly, but just left it hanging there was INFURIATING!!

I never suspected Noob. I think his personality is reserved and quiet and people are getting rubbed wrong by that instead of what says and the facts. Also, when he did eventually marry, he told his wife all about her and how she died. I have read a bit of true crime in my day, and when murders remarry they almost never share that info. They cut, run and restart. I think he did have a sexual relationship with her though, and was really scared of that being revealed, even after all these years. Not for his sake, but for protecting her memory. Also with the mountain of evidence that the clergy had the cops in their back pocket makes me feel it was probably done by someone on that side. 

Also, they guy with the room lined with stuffed animals ----- YAAA MURDERER. ya murderer for sure. The way he fucked with the documentarian and evaded his questions was so suspect. 

amyja89Thomas