306 - "Certified"

Director: Carl Franklin
Writer: Patrick Somerville & Carly Wray

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    FYI, Alan Sepinwall said this was the best of the 7 advance episodes he saw before the season officially began.
    KingKobraFernNYC17mwspiak
  • I can hear the Twin Peaks theme in the other room playing alongside the cold open from this weeks episode.  My head is going to explode... too much TV man. asghasghd
    Alkaid13Elisa
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Wu and Gravediggaz.

Best season by far.
    KingKobraOliviaDElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Getting kids to bed early so somehow Leftovers can get squeezed in after 2hr Twin Peaks premiere. Silicon Valley is gonna have to wait until Monday. That time of year again when Sunday is overloaded with goodness.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I forgot how much I love Kevin Sr.
    @A_Ron_Hubbard
    I can see why.
    KingKobra
  • George said:

Wu and Gravediggaz.

Best season by far.

I am wondering how many folks would get that fairly deep cut.

Excellent episode, I dare say my favorite of the entire season. All of what we saw happening in a Laurie focused epsidoe, but it had so many consequences.
    GeorgeElisaOliviaD
  • This is all Nora's fault. Nora Cursed Rhymes with Durst and her lensing. Her and the demon Azriel!
    Elisa
  • My heart is so broken right now. I loathed Laurie is season one but I was begging Erika through the tv not to do it tonight. This show is gonna kill me!
    Elisa
  • *scene cuts to Laurie on a boat*

Jesus. . . .
    DummymwspiakMelonuskrusskelly
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I am a blubbering mess. That was all just too much. I feel like I should let this sink in before watching Twin Peaks.
    JaimieTCoryElisa
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    That was a perfect episode.

Well, I am a blubbering mess. That was all just too much. I feel like I should let this sink in before watching Twin Peaks.

Yeah, I was gonna jump right into TP, but not now.

• voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    i need to go take a bath with the toaster.

fathergeorge
  • I ain't Judas
    Elisamwspiak
  • I wonder why Nora had such an attitude towards Laurie? The writers  really did everything they could to make Nora look like an asshole in the van. She was patronizing to her profession, she tried to punk her for her lighter, and  they even had her eat an orange for a substitute apple trope. It wasn't just because she mentioned giving back Lily because she had an attitude long before that point. I guess this is a part of her normal coping behavior like when she told Kevin "fuck your daughter", but it still seemed odd to me for her to have such an attitude toward Laurie. 
    JTKIIIKela15
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Another nice use of a Metallica black album song "wherever I may roam"
    CoryKingKobraVasilnate1Elisahisdudeness915
    edited May 22
    I don't think her attitude is a sudden thing. She's been this way for a while... Now since people are challenging the thing she cares about most, there's nowhere for her attitude to hide.

AKA, this is the real Nora, and she's been really, really fake for a while now.
    KingKobraVasilnate1Melonusk
  • I'll be upset when the inevitable reunion on the other side happens WITHOUT Mr. Funny.
    JaimieTMichelle
    So odds on Laurie being dead? If she doesn't show up in the next two episodes I'm pretty certain she is. Looks like Lindeloff might be going for a real soulcrusher ending.
    Elisa
  • Hunkulese Québec, Canada
    The one minor gripe I had with the episode was the beachball at the baseball game analogy. I get the point Nora was making but Laurie's response felt kind of flat since beachballs do end up on the field and it never leads to chaos. They couldn't think of something with a little bit of a higher consequence?
    russkelly
    See, Laurie dying feels cathartic to me. It's what she's wanted to do for 7 years, but kept looking for reasons not to. The world no longer makes sense to her. Honestly, I'd want to die too.
    Melonusk
    I don't know man if Jill and Tommy get left alone cuz both their parents killed themselves I can't take that as a happy ending. Satisfying sure but not happy.
    Elisa
    Hunkulese said:

The one minor gripe I had with the episode was the beachball at the baseball game analogy. I get the point Nora was making but Laurie's response felt kind of flat since beachballs do end up on the field and it never leads to chaos. They couldn't think of something with a little bit of a higher consequence?

I feel like that might have been an accepted meaning. Nora was trying to protect people, but now she sees the world won't end without her protection. Laurie feels the same. They were sort of in the same business... stopping the suffering.

But the suffering never stops. They tried, and that deserves commendation (hence Laurie's reassurance), but it's time to let it go now. They see things clearly.
  • Dummy said:

I wonder why Nora had such an attitude towards Laurie? The writers  really did everything they could to make Nora look like an asshole in the van. She was patronizing to her profession, she tried to punk her for her lighter, and  they even had her eat an orange for a substitute apple trope. It wasn't just because she mentioned giving back Lily because she had an attitude long before that point. I guess this is a part of her normal coping behavior like when she told Kevin "fuck your daughter", but it still seemed odd to me for her to have such an attitude toward Laurie. 

Nora in the van was probably the first time the only emotion I had towards her was annoyed dislike. Then came that beautiful cliff scene, and all the sym-/empathy came rushing back

DummyMichelleMelonusk
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Jesus, this episode.
    I'm not crying, you are.  lol

So what were the 'doctors' doing at the seashore when Nora, Lori, and Matt were watching them?  
    I couldn't tell and I don't think they actually let us know... did they?
    JaimieThisdudeness915
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • Michelle said:

Jesus, this episode.
    I'm not crying, you are.  lol

So what were the 'doctors' doing at the seashore when Nora, Lori, and Matt were watching them?  
    I couldn't tell and I don't think they actually let us know... did they?

They did not, all that we saw was what looked like they were setting up the device/machine. That's why they said it looked "legit".
    Michelle
  • Also, random, but I chuckled at the Today's Special reference because I freaking loved that show. And I remember it to this day because I was watching it when the Challenger exploded, and my little 5 yr old narcissistic self was piiiiiiissed the news had cut off my program, smh
    Blanch
  • aki
    edited May 22
    When I watched it again... the conversations between Laurie and Nora at the cliff and Laurie and Kevin at the end felt a lot deeper. "Same time next week?" "You're on." (The expression on laurie's face...). "I'm not scared" "then I'm not scared either".

Then Laurie leaving Kevin the lighter with "don't forget me" engraved on it.

Amazing...
    ElisaMichellehall1114Dani_Armindo
  • Hunkulese said:

I agree, the dialogue didn't match the gravitas they were going for