Twin Peaks: The Return, Episodes 1 - 2

edited May 22 in Other TV
Written by Mark Frost and David Lynch
Directed by David Lynch

[ I didn't see anyone else start this thread, so I did - I guess A.Ron doesn't start threads for non-reviewed shows? (sorry, I'm new to baldmove.com membership.)]

A lot to chew on from those first two, I mean, four episodes :-)

UPDATE: changing title back to 1-2 (from 1-4) because I think (not sure) that most people only have access to the first two episodes at this writing (I've got access to 1-4 the first night - some sort of Amazon Prime video deal?)

cdriveElisa

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm watching leftovers right now regretting not watching epsidode 2. Real talk. And I love the Leftovers.
  • That was awesome! After Inland Empire, I wasn't really sure what to expect with Lynch directing the majority of the episodes.  He really got out there in the weeds with digital camcorders for awhile.  But this was elegant, haunting, surreal and completely Twin Peaks.  I'm sold on the series revival after parts 1 & 2.

Despite the unfortunate circumstances of some of the original cast, I like how the regulars are getting weaved in and Mädchen Amick is still a Goddess.  I'm also really happy to see that the Black Lodge still works.  Given that most TV shows look incredibly cinematic, would reversed audio/footage seem childish? Nope, still disconcerting as hell.

What I'm digging most is what Kyle MacLachlan is doing as Agent "Bob" Cooper.  He's menacing, brutal, and it's a nice continuation from the season 2 finale.  It seems like Lynch and Frost actually put a lot of thought into what 25 years would do unlike some other series revival.
    AntManBeehypergenesbElisaJovial_FalconDaveyMac
  • Is Showtime, the cable subscription showing 2 or 4 episodes? I don't have cable, but instead have just signed up for Amazon Prime and a Showtime subscription (as part of the Amazon Prime?) - I've got the first four episodes available - watching episode 3 right now.
  • One episode in... I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised. Lynch is still a master at controlling mood and tone. At the very least, it's one of the creepiest hours of television I've seen in a long time. I also think it was a wise move to introduce lots of new characters, locations and plots. It's certainly not without some flaws, but it's hard for me to be objective because I have such a strong attachment to the show.

Slight spoilers follow...

Highlights
    • Loved the opening credits, including the original font. It did a great job putting me in the right mindset.
    • Weird music during Cooper-Bob's intro (was that Lynch's "American Woman" remix?)
    • The Black Lodge!
    • All the sets were fantastic, and blended seamlessly with the original.
    • I liked how they are holding back some of the obvious characters (Truman, Audrey), and instead gave scenes to Dep. Hawk and Dr. Jacobi.
    Nit Picks
    • The glass box was cool, but they sure stretched those scenes out.
    • The Ben & Jerry scene fell flat for me.

Elisa
  • Is Showtime, the cable subscription showing 2 or 4 episodes? I don't have cable, but instead have just signed up for Amazon Prime and a Showtime subscription (as part of the Amazon Prime?) - I've got the first four episodes available - watching episode 3 right now.

Showtime aired episodes 1-2 on Sunday and will air 3-4 next week. But if you're a Showtime Subscriber you can already watch 3-4 on the Showtime Anytime app. Episode 5 won't be released until June 4th. 
    Elisa
  • 2 Episodes in... it's grown on me since I had a chance to sleep and ruminate on it. So many stunning images that I'm still absorbing... I'm also realizing that, we're witnessing the magnum opus of one of the great auteur film directors. (Lynch is directing all 18 episodes!) Regardless of how it ends up, it's guaranteed to be worth talking about!
    AntManBeeElisa
  • @adampasz Yes, that's what had me excited about this the whole time. All 18 written by Lynch/Frost, all 18 directed by Lynch.

I haven't had a chance to watch the next two parts yet. I'm still trying to digest the first two. But so far, quite simply, it's everything I was hoping and wishing for since they made the announcement for this back in 2014.
    Elisa
    All the nightmares came today, and it looks as though they're here to stay...
  • I might wait to watch 3 & 4 for a little while. I'm eager to re-watch the original Pilot, since Jim and ARon are doing a podcast about it this week. 

One other funny observation I had was that Cooper-Bob's sadistic personality reminded me a lot of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. This feels like yet another duality, or mirror image, since Kyle Maclachlan played the good guy in that movie. Again, it kind of blows my mind how these 2 hours of TV resonate so heavily with Lynch's entire oeuvre. ...OK, maybe not Dune. ;)
    AntManBeeElisa
  • @adampasz Totally agree. The pacing and shuffling of the various plot lines reminded me of Mulholland Dr., the new Man from Another Place and other strange creatures that we were introduced to reminded me of Eraserhead. I could definitely see some of Frank Booth in the new Bob/Coop, but I also saw some Bobby Peru from Wild at Heart in there too.
    Elisa
    All the nightmares came today, and it looks as though they're here to stay...
  • adampasz said:

I might wait to watch 3 & 4 for a little while. I'm eager to re-watch the original Pilot, since Jim and ARon are doing a podcast about it this week. 

One other funny observation I had was that Cooper-Bob's sadistic personality reminded me a lot of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. This feels like yet another duality, or mirror image, since Kyle Maclachlan played the good guy in that movie. Again, it kind of blows my mind how these 2 hours of TV resonate so heavily with Lynch's entire oeuvre. ...OK, maybe not Dune. ;)
    I thought Jim was not interested in Twin Peaks and they weren't going to do a podcast. Did they change their minds?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

adampasz said:

I might wait to watch 3 & 4 for a little while. I'm eager to re-watch the original Pilot, since Jim and ARon are doing a podcast about it this week. 

I thought Jim was not interested in Twin Peaks and they weren't going to do a podcast. Did they change their minds?
    There is a commission of the original show that is coming up. 
    Elisa
    I'm squinting my eyes in here as I post this cause I haven't seen Ep 2 yet. But I saw this on FB and it cracked me up so I had to share:

So true.  Don't ever change, David.  
    ElisaJovial_FalconAntManBeeDaveyMac
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I just watched S1 and S2.  A few months ago I rewatched Twin Peaks on Netflix and Friday I watched the movie Fire Walk With Me.  Let me just say that Lynch/Frost are blowing me away with season 3 so far.  

It is violent, disturbing, artsy and compelling.   The focus on duality and doppelgangers is just brilliant. I can't wait to listen to Bald Move friends - Sparkwood and 21 and their podcast covering the show. (from the No Ship Network - Em and Steve).

Shades of Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, HP Lovecraft, and Booper (AgentBob/Cooper) LOL gotta love it.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited May 22

Is Showtime, the cable subscription showing 2 or 4 episodes? I don't have cable, but instead have just signed up for Amazon Prime and a Showtime subscription (as part of the Amazon Prime?) - I've got the first four episodes available - watching episode 3 right now.

If you go to showtime.com and login you can watch all four episodes.  I believe you should also have access to them as part of Amazon Prime and Hulu packages.  I bought mine thru itunes for my appletv and I also watch using the SHO app on my iphone.
  • edited May 22
    @adampasz I thought I heard the actor playing Truman wasn't coming back because he retired from acting. I figured that's why they said 2 Trumans instead of one. I apologize in advance if my info is wrong.
    Elisa
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize.
  • I really don't know what to say after watching 1 & 2. I was hypnotized by the Black Lodge and thought 40 minutes went by when it was only like 18 minutes or something.
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne

@adampasz I thought I heard the actor playing Truman wasn't coming back because he retired from acting. I figured that's why they said 2 Trumans instead of one. I apologize in advance if my info is wrong.

Yeah the guy who played Truman retired from acting, they explain why they mention 2 Sherrif Truman's 1 is fishing and the other is sick. I initially thought Lucy got confused as Truman mentioned two scenarios as to why he wasn't there ie if this person comes around tell him I'm fishing but if this person comes around tell him I'm sick. 
    Elisa
  • fidoz Houston
    davemcb said:

Yeah the guy who played Truman retired from acting, they explain why they mention 2 Sherrif Truman's 1 is fishing and the other is sick. I initially thought Lucy got confused as Truman mentioned two scenarios as to why he wasn't there ie if this person comes around tell him I'm fishing but if this person comes around tell him I'm sick. 
    Robert Forester (Jackie Brown, Breaking Bad) is playing Harry's brother on the new episodes. 
    Elisa
    I liked the first 3 episodes, the 4th was a little meh but I watched it this morning so it could have been too early for that. I feel some pacing issues might exist but I'm going to give Lynch enough credit that he is going to deliver the goods. There is also a character in episode 4 I want to punch in the face for the whole time on the screen, possibly the most annoying character I have seen on TV but you can guess which one it is. 

I'm glad its back and hopefully Lynch can actually finish his story on his terms, it was sad to see the Log Lady in a frail state knowing that the actress died 2 years ago. I'm glad she finished her scenes but its sad to see her final days.
    Elisa
    Just finished E2 and this Lynch fan is so fucking happy. This is the best thing to happen to TV in 25 years. David Lynch is a Titan.
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Cooper rubbing that guy's jaw outside the storage unit. Holy shit, I don't even know. Just: WHAT. Disturbing, mesmerizing, odd. That's why I watch. I was kind of phone-watching in parts (that school principle being accused of murder and interrogated, snore), but this show has moments I've never seen anything like.
    ElisaJovial_Falcon
  • JaimieT said:

Cooper rubbing that guy's jaw outside the storage unit. Holy shit, I don't even know. Just: WHAT. Disturbing, mesmerizing, odd. That's why I watch. I was kind of phone-watching in parts (that school principle being accused of murder and interrogated, snore), but this show has moments I've never seen anything like.

Re-watching Fire Walk With Me tonight (instead of starting ep. 3). There is a very disturbing scene where Leland rubs or pinches Laura's cheek. Echoes....
    AntManBeecdriveElisaJovial_FalconDaveyMac
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Can anyone know where I can watch fire walk with me? 
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • fidoz Houston
    Underwood said:

showtime on demand. Showtime now. Amazon Prime. 
    Elisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    fidoz said:

Underwood said:

showtime on demand. Showtime now. Amazon Prime. 
    Wow I butchered that sentence, glad you still understood it lol. Thanks!
    Jovial_Falcon
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
    I am going to apologise on the front end here for objectification but....

Madeline Zima my goodness that is all
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I lasted 18 minutes, then decided life is too short to watch Nucky Thompson's nephew staring at a Perspex box and Ashley Judd pretending she can't act. It surprised me, because I watched the OG when it came out and it was my favourite show for years (it is certainly one of the most original, and most of modern television owes something to it), but I just don't have the patience anymore for Lynch's artsy fartsy, weird-for-the-sake-of-weird shenanigans.
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 25
    There's been a lot of talk about how Lynch somehow made something that's been done 1000's of times - a skyline panning shot of NYC - somehow look new and disturbing. Completely agree. In addition to the imagary, I think part of it also had to do w/ the sound mix in the scene. You can still hear street noises and everything but it's muffled and the ambient "white noise" is dialed way up. Pretty remarkable.

cdriveElisa
    ^ Agreed.  2 fans in this household were oohing and ahhing to that scene. And how many millions of times have you seen an aerial pan of NYC, right?  It felt ominous and strange.  It's that classic Lynchian white noise that he can pair with any visual and induce anxiety.  
    Elisa
  • fidoz Houston
    No one does anticipation and tension building like Lynch. 
    Jovial_FalconElisa