Twin Peaks: The Return, Episodes 3-4

MrXMrX CO
edited May 24 in Other TV
Written by Mark Frost and David Lynch
Directed by David Lynch

Ok I wasn't going to watch all these so fast but I got hooked. I'm really liking the return. Episode 3 was delightfully bizarre and disorienting. I think it also topped The Leftovers and Fargo for "Who Won the Week: Vomit Edition" with Evil Agent Cooper vomiting in the car. Garmonbozia!

I think my favorite part of 3/4 was the glorious return of Albert (RIP Miguel Ferrer) and Gordon (and Denise is now the FBI director!). And with Chyrsta Bell (fun fact - she's collaborated w/ Lynch on some musical ventures) as Agent Preston, they make a very interesting trio, could watch that buddy cop show all day.

Also how about the Michael Cera cameo as "Wally Brando", dressed in Marlon Brandon cosplay, complete with terrible accent!  But he works perfectly as Andy & Lucy's goofy son. And I love how Robert Forster's Sheriff Truman is not impressed at all

I love how all these cameos have been kept totally secret, that one came completely out of left field. Nice to Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive callback!) too as fake Cooper's wife.

Was happily surprised to see Bobby Briggs now as a police officers, and then when he saw all the Laura Palmer casefiles out he completely reverted to old Twin Peaks Bobby, and they cranked up the theme song. Good stuff.

ElisaKingKobra

Comments

• davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I liked episode 3 but thought 4 wasnt as strong. I know Michael Cera is the perfect amount of weird to play Wally but i want to punch him in the face every second he is on the screen. He was above annoying and i hope thats a one off cameo. I may have a bias as he and Jason Bateman are the reasons i cant watch Arrested Development.

It is crazy how many actors in this series have died since filming. So many people will have this as their last credit.

Cooper playing the slot machines was hilarious i thought it worked and i enjoyed the Gordon turning his hearing aid up to 11 and then Albert moving his feet causing the freakout.

I hope that outside of the Cera cameo the show keeps delivering
    ChiefPizza
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Episodes 3 & 4 were fabulous.  1 & 2 gave me Fire Walk with me, Eraserhead, Elephant Man and other Lynchian vibes.  3 & 4 brought me right back into Twin Peaks ville - Absurd, unsettling, dark and hilarious.  I am loving it.
    cdriveUnderwood
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Okay, spoiler time
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
     so now there are 3 Coops.  Dougie was a decoy for the Black Lodge created by Boooper (BobCoop) so they would take him back when Agent Coop tried to come back to the real world.  Is that what everyone else is getting from this?
    davemcb
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 25
    Elisa said:

Okay, spoiler time

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
     so now there are 3 Coops.  Dougie was a decoy for the Black Lodge created by Boooper (BobCoop) so they would take him back when Agent Coop tried to come back to the real world.  Is that what everyone else is getting from this?
    Yea that's my read - Evil Cooper & Evil Arm somehow made Cooper #3 (Dougie) for Real Cooper to swap with instead, so Evil Cooper could stay in the real world. I guess they made the whole glass box getup in NYC also to divert Real Cooper into Doug? Also since Dougie is married and has a son he must have been created a while ago right?

Elisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Episode 3 was the best of the 4 so far. Episode 4 was intentionally frustrating at it was effective.

Agent Cooper going "Hell-Ohhhh???!!" was cracking me up. And forgetchyall Michael Cera's cameo was hilarious. But yeah if you hate Michael Cera I could see how that really pissed you off haha.

If I ever play slots again I'm gonna play once Agent Cooper style.
    ElisaMrXfidoz
  • edited May 28
    MrX said:

Elisa said:

Okay, spoiler time

/
    /
    /
    /

Yea that's my read - Evil Cooper & Evil Arm somehow made Cooper #3 (Dougie) for Real Cooper to swap with instead, so Evil Cooper could stay in the real world. I guess they made the whole glass box getup in NYC also to divert Real Cooper into Doug? Also since Dougie is married and has a son he must have been created a while ago right?

I like your reads better than mine - I was thinking that Cooper's "clean slate" intellectual state was caused by some mis-alignment in the transfer of Dougie and Cooper from Real World to Lodge World and vice versa.  Maybe Evil Cooper's accident and being at an unplanned location at transfer time was a factor.  

UPDATE: here's the line I missed that cements what you're saying about Evil Cooper "making" Dougie - it's delivered by the One-armed Man spoken to Dougie after he arrives in the Lodge: "Someone manufactured you for a purpose, but I think now that's been fulfilled."
  • @MrX thats how I read it too.

I've really enjoyed the 1st 4 episodes. There is def a stylistic callback to the "90's" with this show, from effects to ambiance. As far as real cooper goes, I would figure until Evil Cooper is gone, he may be "stuck". Either that or coming back will take some time for things to recalibrate. He's been in a backwards talking slow moving world and everything he does makes it look like he is still there (even when he walks). As others have said the cameos are primo...I can't believe none leaked (at least that I had heard).
    Elisa
  • I gotta say, this show was so worth the wait. I can't believe how good it is. It's still got the original style, moods and ambiance while having a more modern and refreshed vibe at the same time. It effortlessly goes from terrifying to laugh-out-loud hilarious. Loving the cameos and Kyle MacLachlan really brings his A-game with playing all these different characters. Some questions/thoughts about the plot, so spoilers:

- The school principal. He said he had a dream he was in the victim's apartment, so can we assume he was possessed and that's why he remembers it like a dream? If he was possessed, by who? Can Bob leave Cooper's body to go into someone else, and if he can, what happens to Cooper's body?
    - What was that 'poison' Evil Cooper was throwing up in the car? It happened during real Cooper going into Dougie's body, so was Evil Cooper linked to Dougie somehow? And if he was, is he linked to real Cooper now?
    - Was I the only one thinking Evil Cooper was behaving very oddly in the cell when he was talking to the other agents? Like he didn't seem how either Cooper or Bob would behave. Repeating the phrases about his accident, being somehow robotic and awkward... what is going on?
    - What's the deal with the One-Armed Man? As far as I remember in the old series he was possessed by a different spirit, who said he used to kill with Bob but then stopped and now only possesses One-Armed Man's body when he needs to stop Bob. Has he turned evil again? Or is he still trying to stop Bob?

There are just so many angles to keep in mind, at this point impossible to puzzle together.
    johnnyhandsElisahypergenesb
  • edited May 29
    Reni said:

"There are just so many angles to keep in mind, at this point impossible to puzzle together."  

My hope is that as the series goes on, it will be POSSIBLE to puzzle it together :-)
    Elisa
  • edited May 29
    Reni said:

"Was I the only one thinking Evil Cooper was behaving very oddly in the cell when he was talking to the other agents? Like he didn't seem how either Cooper or Bob would behave. Repeating the phrases about his accident, being somehow robotic and awkward... what is going on?"

I was thinking that Evil Cooper is a sociopath, and not empathetic enough to imitate someone with a conscience - especially when the people listening to him know the real Dale Cooper.  One thing about Evil Cooper compared to Dale, is that Evil's voice is deeper and rougher (even compared to the Dale we've heard speak in Twin Peaks 2017.)

Of course, it might turn out that the two (or three) Coopers are part of Dale - Evil Cooper is a part of real Dale (and maybe Dougie Jones is another part of him.)   You never know.
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    Reni said:

I gotta say, this show was so worth the wait. I can't believe how good it is. It's still got the original style, moods and ambiance while having a more modern and refreshed vibe at the same time. It effortlessly goes from terrifying to laugh-out-loud hilarious. Loving the cameos and Kyle MacLachlan really brings his A-game with playing all these different characters. Some questions/thoughts about the plot, so spoilers:

- The school principal. He said he had a dream he was in the victim's apartment, so can we assume he was possessed and that's why he remembers it like a dream? If he was possessed, by who? Can Bob leave Cooper's body to go into someone else, and if he can, what happens to Cooper's body?
    - What was that 'poison' Evil Cooper was throwing up in the car? It happened during real Cooper going into Dougie's body, so was Evil Cooper linked to Dougie somehow? And if he was, is he linked to real Cooper now?
    - Was I the only one thinking Evil Cooper was behaving very oddly in the cell when he was talking to the other agents? Like he didn't seem how either Cooper or Bob would behave. Repeating the phrases about his accident, being somehow robotic and awkward... what is going on?
    - What's the deal with the One-Armed Man? As far as I remember in the old series he was possessed by a different spirit, who said he used to kill with Bob but then stopped and now only possesses One-Armed Man's body when he needs to stop Bob. Has he turned evil again? Or is he still trying to stop Bob?

There are just so many angles to keep in mind, at this point impossible to puzzle together.

Have you seen Fire Walk With Me? A lot of the Black Lodge stuff, including the one armed man, the Arm, and the creamed corn looking barf, is there. Lynch actually said that that movie is pretty key to the new series.
    KingKobraElisa
  • @MrX I've seen it, but 10+ years ago and hardly remember anything. I rewatched the entire series before the new episodes coming out, but had no time for Fire Walk With Me. Guess I better get on that! Thank you for clearing that up!
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    Reni said:

@MrX I've seen it, but 10+ years ago and hardly remember anything. I rewatched the entire series before the new episodes coming out, but had no time for Fire Walk With Me. Guess I better get on that! Thank you for clearing that up!

Yea I was in the same boat and watched the first 2 of the new series, then read that about Fire Walk With Me, so I watched it before going any further. Definitely recommend doing that before we get too deep into the new season!

Elisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The advice I've been giving to my friends who watched the original series and want to know if they need to rewatch before starting the new episodes is to watch the series finale and Fire Walk With Me. Those two pretty much give you all the primer you need.
    Elisa
  • Saw episode 3 last night - that was batshit crazy. Episode 4 tonight...
    fidoz said:

The advice I've been giving to my friends who watched the original series and want to know if they need to rewatch before starting the new episodes is to watch the series finale and Fire Walk With Me. Those two pretty much give you all the primer you need.

@fidoz ;I would say Fire Walk With Me is essential viewing before watching Season 3. I would even go so far as to say you *only* need to watch FWWM, and you could almost skip the original series.
    fidozElisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I think the best plan to would be to watch all of season 1 (you need to get endeared to these charachters). Watch up to around ep.5 or 6 of season two then skip to the final two episodes. Then Firewalk With Me.

Kyle MacLachlan performance has been just amazing. Seeing Cooper trying to operate back in the real world is heartbreaking. I go from moments where I want to cry to the next moment laughing. And then there is this scene, where i am laughing and crying. *my heart!*

Jovial_FalconElisaChiefPizzaDaveyMac
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I totally agree with @aberry89 to watch all of season 1.  Then watch up season 2 up to around ep.5 or 6 (when Lynch leaves) and then skip to the final two episodes when Lynch returns. Then Firewalk With Me, the movie.

So happy to have such brilliant TV on showtime.

MrX
  • Episode 4 fell a bit flat for me. It might have worked better if I'd watched it back-to-back with 3 (which I really liked). The "whimsical" scenes, to me, aren't all that funny, and feel over-extended. But, based on other podcasts I've listened to, they are clicking with other people. 

For me, the Eraserhead dream sequence in 3 has been the high point so far. It's rare that a show or movie can really freak me out like that -- especially without resorting to graphic violence -- In recent memory only Legion has come close. 

I think one of the triumphs of the new Twin Peaks is that it is true "stream of consciousness" television. There is no formula or pattern that dictates where it's going to go. This makes it incredibly compelling on first viewing. And even the "boring" parts are hypnotic because the viewer is anticipating the next surprise or unexpected turn, which may or may not even arrive.
    Elisa
  • ChiefPizzaChiefPizza Akron, OH
    edited May 31
    Reni said:

So the poison that Evil Cooper (Mr. C) threw up was the garmonbozia he's been collecting. It's the pain and suffering that he gets from others that he tortures/kills, and is basically his life force. (See FWWM). Dougie was a creation of Mr. C in order to trick the system and stay in the real world when Real Cooper comes back - which is why Cooper switched with Dougie and not his actual doppelganger.
    Reni said:

Since Mr. C threw up his garmonbozia, he's not able to function properly and can't imitate Real Cooper as well as he has been the past 25 years. That's why his eyes have basically turned black in this scene, he's repeating himself, and his voice has gone down many octaves. If you listen very carefully when he first speaks to Gordon in this scene, he says "It's yrev, very good to see you" - he slips up and says the first "very" backwards.
    Jovial_FalconKingKobraElisaReniAntManBee
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited June 2
    I thoroughly enjoyed these two episodes.

Lots of conflicting emotions. On the one hand it was really funny to see what Cooper's behavior, but it was also so sad to see this brilliant agent, not only lose 25 years of his life, but when he finally makes it back he can't function on his own and seems so confused.

And Bob-Cooper was super unnerving. 
    AntManBee