need a break but I also have things I need to do, (sorry very off topic)

I know this isn't the place to look for advice but I'm just looking for friendly advice from a very nice community

I just really feel like I need a break full stop. But I have got things that need to be done in the next 3 to 4 weeks but i feel like I need a break like tomorrow. And I just don't know what to do, things are stressing me out and they are silly things that are effecting me more then I realised. I also worryingly keep having Short visions and read this next part care fully, thinking I'm seeing things and then straight away realising they arnt there.

Any advice is welcome, and yes I am seeing a therapist.

Comments

• My only advice is to discuss this with your therapist. None of can give you the advice you will need outside of them tbh.
  • KingKobra said:

My only advice is to discuss this with your therapist. None of can give you the advice you will need outside of them tbh.

I understand. I just thaught I'd get more advice
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    Have you been sleeping ok? Are you manic? If your hallucinating, then taking a day off to rest is a good idea. If you have a lot to get done you should prioritize your list and just get a few things done per day, but leave time to wind down and relax. Do you meditate? Its a good way to reset your body and mind, after you accomplish a few tasks, take some time to just sit and be mindful, then if your still up for it do some more tasks. When you plan out your day only plan @ 50% of your time, that way if things pop up unexpectedly you won't feel stressed by time, and when you do have a spare moment you can relax without guilt.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)

Have you been sleeping ok? Are you manic? If your hallucinating, then taking a day off to rest is a good idea. If you have a lot to get done you should prioritize your list and just get a few things done per day, but leave time to wind down and relax. Do you meditate? Its a good way to reset your body and mind, after you accomplish a few tasks, take some time to just sit and be mindful, then if your still up for it do some more tasks. When you plan out your day only plan @ 50% of your time, that way if things pop up unexpectedly you won't feel stressed by time, and when you do have a spare moment you can relax without guilt.

+1 to everything here

The "visions," you should definitely talk to a doctor about. But as for feeling stressed and ready to give up, most of us feel this way at some time or another. Whether it's work, family, friends, relationships, creative work, etc., time management is key- For me, I work a regular M-F day job that has a lot of responsibilities and a lot of people who need me at a moment's notice, which gets stressful, and I usually have a lot going on in terms of hobbies, volunteer, social stuff, household responsibilities, etc. So I try to take one day a week (usually Sunday) where I don't go anywhere or make any obligations, even with my husband. I just stay home and chill out, catch up on TV, crochet, read or whatever. I might do something low key like laundry or gardening, but I don't do anything that can be overwhelming like money management, which is stressful. I don't make plans with others (unless they are unavoidable, like a close friend's party that I don't have a hand in scheduling). If something is unavoidable, I try to take my "day off" on Saturday. And if it's a not-that-good-of-a-friend's party, I might just not go. 

I did this workbook a long time ago that helped me come up with some techniques and philosophies for time management and thinking through how you want to be spending your time. I went into it with a ton of skepticism- the author is also from Seattle and at that time I was part of a writers' community with her, so I said I would review it as a kind of a community thing, but I was not expecting to get much out of it. It was actually really helpful.
    JaimieT
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Agree with everything posted. Definitely seek professional help. All I would add is if you really need a break then take you probably should take a break. Many things that we think are important in the short term are not really that important in the Long term. Perfect example is work. Yea I might need to finish a spreadsheet, send a client a proposal or answer the 100 emails I got. At the time they may seem important But all of that is meaningless when comparing to my health.

One quote that always sticks out to me is this one. Paraphrasing it because I don't remember it exactly.

"A young man sacrifices his health to make money. An old man then sacrifices that money to repair his health"

Your mental and physical health is what's most important. If your mind and body is telling you that you need a break then you probably need a break. Maybe you can ask friends and family to help out with your priorities while you take a few days off.