Alamo Drafthouse announces women-only screening of 'Wonder Woman' and men are upset

Comments

Lol, that was awesome. Alamo Drafthouse Austin needs to give the person writing these comebacks a raise.

People have a right to be upset by this, but I don't see the issue. Is it totally egalitarian? No. But in our patriarchal society I think guys can handle a little ribbing.
    JaimieT
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited May 25
    In my opinion, in the world *I* want to live in, such a screening would be unnecessary and seen to be exclusionary and in poor taste.  But we ain't living in that world yet, because the pendulum is still swinging back from the "Old Boy's Club" side, and you know how pendulums do.  I mean, Christ, a screening of an Amy Schumer film was shot up by some crazy misogynist last year, the rationale for needing safe spaces for women is prima facie.
    CretanBullTravisCecilyNatter CastJaimieTCodyHarris821
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Kudos to the Alamo for not running away from critics, but this whole thing is ridiculous. A women-only showing is a great idea. You can tell it's a great idea because the people who are mad about it are the same ones who got mad about a black stormtrooper, lady Ghostbusters, and Fury Road being "feminist propaganda."

I think of this crowd as the Don Draper/Tony Soprano/Walter White crowd. Middle-aged white guys who woke up one day to find out they were no longer the center of the universe and are swimming against the tide to get back to the "good ol days."
    bizmarkiefaderTravisphoenyx1023Dani_Armindo
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Yeah fuck men. How dare they be sensitive to misandry and show emotion. They should get their helmet on and get back in the coal mine and stop complaining.
    nstinson
  • I guess my thought is "so what". It's a great marketing push. I do t get what the big deal is besides some people that just want to be upset at anything.
    Dani_ArmindoBrawn
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited May 25
    Luke said:

Yeah fuck men. How dare they be sensitive to misandry and show emotion. They should get their helmet on and get back in the coal mine and stop complaining.

Were you ever taught that "turn about is fair play?"  Why were you taught that?  What principle was it trying to instill?  Do you agree with it?  If so, could you maybe articulate how this applies here?  Who is on what side of the turn about? 
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I was being sarcastic. 

My issue with this thread and the article is that if the situation was reversed and let's say there was some science documentary that was doing only men screenings there would probably be a 30 page thread on these forums about how sexist it was.  

I also get sick of reading about how bad the patriarchy we live in is, when I would argue the only remnants patriarchy in America that remain are the things that disadvantage men.  

I try to stay out of the progressive circle jerks on these forums as much as I can, because I realize people here don't really want to hear it.  But sometimes I can't help it, especially when it comes to certain subjects.
    nstinsonanubus21Brawn
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

It's a movie that will be shown on thousands of screens across America, there's no need to shit on this one screening.

I say this as a middle-aged white man...men, stop complaining about unfair treatment.  However many one-off examples you can site to justify your hardships, literally everyone else in the world has it worse than you do.

phoenyx1023Cecily
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 25
    In my opinion, in the world *I* want to live in, such a screening would be unnecessary and seen to be exclusionary and in poor taste.  But we ain't living in that world yet, because the pendulum is still swinging back from the "Old Boy's Club" side, and you know how pendulums do.  I mean, Christ, a screening of an Amy Schumer film was shot up by some crazy misogynist last year, the rationale for needing safe spaces for women is prima facie.
    I get what you are saying and I just don't care about this 'issue', especially not enough to complain on social media. It does not affect me, and I'll be there with my wife and daughter on that Saturday night with popcorn in hand regardless of what some theater does for attention.

That being said, two wrongs do not make a right, and it's incredibly hypocritical for many of these same people to be ok with segregating the genders when the narrative has been that inclusiveness=equality and grouping by gender=bad.

All this accomplishes is creating controversy where there should be none, more people fighting on the internet and blurring the line between feminism and misandry. This does nothing to further any causes or shine a light on any rampant misogyny in our society, since there is no relevant 2017 issue to compare it to and say "hey bros, this is how it feels to be forcibly excluded from attending an event based on your gender"... That's not happening today in the mainstream, and when/if it does, those people will get shouted down as menaces to society by the likes of the majority, including those who are celebrating this story.

This movie hasn't been swirling in any political controversy and the theater hasn't mentioned anything about safety. And if they did, then they would need to explain why it would be safe for men to come the next week, or why they took a stance that basically says most men as a gender should be treated like terrorists. They didn't ban anti-social teenage boys from going to theaters after that guy shot up the batman movie. Just like we shouldn't ban people from a certain religious faith or ethnicity from entering our country because of a terrorist attack committed by someone of a similar faith or ethnicity.

This is about marketing and keeping your name in the headlines, which is fine. But let's not celebrate it as some win for equality.
    nstinsonTimK
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Broflakes.

Did anyone lose their shit when there were advance screenings of Independence Day: Resurgence?  I'm sure that was a Sausage Fest.

Frakkin Thisdudeness915Cecily
    edited May 25
    Also, what happens if a guy walks up and says "I identify as a woman"? If he/she gets turned away, does it cause more controversy in the other direction, since gender isn't supposed to matter in 2017?

Does he have to conform to gender norms and wear a dress and makeup, despite most people I know deep into the SJW community saying that he shouldn't need to?

The rabbit hole this goes down is just silly and avoidable to me.
    GredalBee
  • @Luke "the only remnants patriarchy in America that remain are the things that disadvantage men."

Umm... yeah. I don't really know where to start if you really believe this. You may be sick of reading about how bad living in the patriarchy is because you're a man that benefits from it. You only notice it if you're on the shit side - women live it every day. Social science and decades of study aren't quite progressive circle jerks lol.
    Frakkin TpavlovsbellDeephoenyx1023hisdudeness915Garthgou81trippyDaveyMacbrewseveltCecilyand 2 others.
    cdrive said:

Broflakes.

Did anyone lose their shit when there were advance screenings of Independence Day: Resurgence?  I'm sure that was a Sausage Fest.

lol, I'm sure it was, and it's a funny one-liner talking point on twitter, but let's not pretend that there isn't a vast difference between people of a specific gender or demographic gravitating towards certain movies and a business having an "X-Only" showing of a movie where certain people are not allowed in.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Ladies' nights are nothing new. Neither is men complaining about ladies' nights. Sometimes women just want to socialize with each other without creepers. It ain't that serious. 
    KingKobraphoenyx1023DaveyMacJaimieTBrawn
  • edited May 25
    It's ONE Fn screening, Alamo House can throw a promo that is for women only. I don't get the outgrage AT ALL. Guess what, you don't like it, don't be a patron. That's your right. To be upset over this is silly.
    CretanBullphoenyx1023Dani_ArmindoBrawn
    KingKobra said:

It's ONE Fn screening, Alamo House can throw a promo that is for women only. I don't get the outgrage AT ALL. Guess what, you don't like it, don't be a patron. That's your right. To be upset over this is silly.

People got upset over Wonder Woman having shaved arm pits. Nothing that people are mad online about alarms me anymore.
    DummyBrawn
  • Ladies' nights are nothing new. Neither is men complaining about ladies' nights. Sometimes women just want to socialize with each other without creepers. It ain't that serious. 

I originally posted because I thought it was amusing, plus what you said ^. But now I'm feeling like this thread is going to get really serious and negative. Maybe I should delete lol. Can you even do that on here?
  • Ladies' nights are nothing new. Neither is men complaining about ladies' nights. Sometimes women just want to socialize with each other without creepers. It ain't that serious. 

I originally posted because I thought it was amusing, plus what you said ^. But now I'm feeling like this thread is going to get really serious and negative. Maybe I should delete lol. Can you even do that on here?
    You must live with what you post foreeevvvveeerrrrrrrrr you will now be known as a troublemaker :p Shame!, Shame!, Shame! (:
    hisdudeness915Brawn
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    This is why we can't have nice things. Good grief, it's one special screening. No one is being prevented from seeing it anywhere else.

This is a silly thing to argue about. For a moment I thought I stumbled into a Lost thread. 
    KingKobraGredalBeehisdudeness915DummyDaveyMacBrawn

Ladies' nights are nothing new. Neither is men complaining about ladies' nights. Sometimes women just want to socialize with each other without creepers. It ain't that serious. 

No but it's OK. We're on your side. LOL
  • @KingKobra noooo haha. 

I actually have a friend that won't start watching GoT because that's literally the only episode she's ever seen. People throwing debris and screaming "shame" at this random woman.
    KingKobraBrawn

This makes ladies' night sound a lot less fun.
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    The World Series of Poker holds a woman's tournament every year, they have rules in place that state that no tournament can discriminate against anyone for any reason(except age, or if your being a giant douche). So the way they get around it is, that it's an $11,000 buy-in for anyone that wants to play, but if your a woman you get a $10,000 discount. But still every year some douche pays it, or tries to wear a wig and a dress. Smh...
    jazzminawahisdudeness915FreddyJaimieTBrawn
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited May 25
    Tried to join the local women's softball team but they said no which I totally did not go there specifically to react to so I yelled at them about divorce court for an hour until they called the police who were on THEIR side and you still say this is a patriarchy?!?!
    phoenyx1023JaimieTBrawn
  • Just a reminder, if you don't add smilies, sometimes sarcasm can be easily missed.
    Vasilnate1
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited May 25

Recent history suggests that threads requesting how to delete things turn out awesome.
    hisdudeness915akritenbrink
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    KingKobra said:

But didn't you know we're having a White Male revolution in America right now, white guys have been getting shit on in this country for far too long(@100 days) and it time we put a stop to this discrimination! ;-) #trumpsamerica

Winky smilley face for @KingKobra
    hisdudeness915KingKobra
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited May 25

It's a movie that will be shown on thousands of screens across America, there's no need to shit on this one screening.

But I want to see it in THIS theater!!
    *crosses arms and pouts*

For @KingKobra ;)
    CretanBullDaveyMac

But I want to see it in THIS theater!!
    *crosses arms and pouts*

For @KingKobra ;)
    With 300 women who don't want me there!!!!
    trippyDaveyMac
  • An all male, Hispanic, white, black, Christian, Muslim, etc showing is wrong. This is just a marketing ploy thats people didn't think through. It's just one showing so it's just a blip. I'm also sure it's not in the best theater, or the first showing.