American Gods - 105 - Lemon Scented You (No Book Spoilers)

DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
edited May 29 in Other TV
Dir. Vincenzo Natali
Writ. David Graziano
xulsolar22

Comments

• I really enjoyed this epsidoe. We got peeks into the "bigger picture" and a little movement with Wednesday and Shadow. Oh and how can I forget George McFly as "Mr World" and Gillian Anderson giving a David Bowie AND Marylin Monroe impersonation.
    Elisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 30
    Great episode. They're really hitting their stride with episodes 3-5. I'm now REALLY wish I hadn't spoiled myself by reading up what these characters true identities, motives, and secret plans are from the book

Also wishing I hadn't read imdb and wiki what the upcoming episode titles, characters and actors playing them were. Otherwise I would have laughed so hard seeing Crispin Glover show up as Mr. World.

Hoping we eventually get more of Low Key giving Shadow more solid advice in an upcoming episode. Not seeing him as much this in the first 5 episodes has been my biggest disappointment so far.
    Elisa
  • A cracking hour of tv.

The 4 episode setup led to this which introduces another character(s) and we at the first 
    gleanings of what this 'gods war' is about.

One thing that stuck with me was Ian Mcshane's face - it's striking and just perfect for that role.

Feeling a bit sorry for Sweeny and his kinda comedic role. Dislocated finger and crushed nuts.
    It's funny though.

Gillian Anderson - freaking great in all her roles.

I have not googled anything about this show or characters - I think this is the best way to go.

Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited May 29
    @daveh I found an American Gods podcast that I love: Storm's on the Way. One of the hosts, Alistair, is a writer and teacher whose previous podcasts I've really enjoyed, and he's hosting this with another book reader and a newbie but it seems pretty non-spoilery from what I've heard so far. They are also covering the novel in a separate podcast for those who are interested.

As for this episode, I really liked it. I wish Shadow would become more interesting so I could find his scenes with Laura more interesting or moving. I think he needs someone crackling to react to, otherwise his scenes drag a bit for me. Same for Laura -- she's great with Audrey in the previous episode or Mad Sweeney here. I mean, they are delightful together. I got a Preacheresque vibe from the violence. Playful and comic booky with a pitiable but hilarious doofus sporting a questionable Irish accent. And the size difference made it all the more hilarious.

Everything else was great. Direction by Vincenzo Natali: he was responsible for the animation prologue, and you could see Hannibal S3 in this episode with the extreme shallow focus, crossfade transitions, and the split diopter shot.

I love that everyone sees Technical Boy for the obnoxious punk that he is, and I'm glad that they addressed the problematic racial implications of the lynching in the first episode -- something that had made me extremely uncomfortable. Media Marilyn punching him with a kiss was perfection.

Crispin Glover was very Crispin Glover-y, but it works, I suppose. I would think someone like Christian Bale would be perfect in this role, but if they want to go more weird (and of course they would because Bryan Fuller), then Glover works. 

Oh, I was really tickled that Shadow just kept repeating, "Lawyer." Good boy. I'm sure A.Ron will be happy about that. 

darwinfeeshyKingKobraCory
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I enjoyed Media working in David Bowie songs titles and Marilyn Monroe movie quotes.  This show seems to know what it's doing, but it's heading off book for sure.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 30
    @All the Chickens
    His name is really Low Key? That's more on the nose than Mr. Wednesday.
    Shadow demonstrating BM rule #1 (or is it 2?), Never talk to the cops. If I was Shadow at this point I'd just go with it, either gods exist or I'm experiencing a complete psychotic break so whatever just go all in and ask Wednesday "Hey so you're like Odin then huh? What's that like?". The introductions to random Gods at the beginning of each episode is a nice way to bring them up assuming they'll become more important later, I prefer it that way than the random cutaways in the middle of the episode. Overall the show seems to keep improving each episode, still wish Shadow was just 25% less generic guy.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    All I can say this show is the show I jones for all week.

Also I think I'm in love with Laura, that freaky sown together dead mess.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I really liked the episode before this one but everything else this season has felt kinda empty and made me miss Hannibal. The show is really pretty though.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 31
    Alkaid13 said:

@All the Chickens
    His name is really Low Key? That's more on the nose than Mr. Wednesday.
    Shadow demonstrating BM rule #1 (or is it 2?), Never talk to the cops. If I was Shadow at this point I'd just go with it, either gods exist or I'm experiencing a complete psychotic break so whatever just go all in and ask Wednesday "Hey so you're like Odin then huh? What's that like?". The introductions to random Gods at the beginning of each episode is a nice way to bring them up assuming they'll become more important later, I prefer it that way than the random cutaways in the middle of the episode. Overall the show seems to keep improving each episode, still wish Shadow was just 25% less generic guy.

Yeah, it is. I can't remember if he explicitly said his name in the show or not yet, but it's listed in the credits, IMDB, and STARZ posted a featurette video on their youtube page titled "American Gods| Lessons from Low Key" and it was a clip of the "Do NOT piss off those bitches in airports" scene.

I do like that they showed us Shadow's personality before prison and Laura's death, and I really enjoyed the contrast. Now we see that his personality is more a product of him being kind of a broken person who is just along for the ride. Although it's pretty basic story telling for the POV character to be a a bland "every man/woman" blank slate.
    I actually enjoy following the journey of the more quiet, broken version of Shadow than the version we saw in the pre-prison flashbacks.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited June 2
    I really enjoyed the back half of this episode. I thought Crispin Glover was weird, but also great. And that whole exchange in the police station was really enjoyable. 

I also loved the beginning. with the animation and showing how a god can die. 

I, too agree, that the Shadow/Laura scenes fell a bit flat and they are much better when reacting against the larger than life characters. It's weird, because I actually really like book-Shadow, even though it is largely the same characterization, but for whatever reason, in text form it really worked for me. Maybe because it's easier to hint that there's more to him than meets the eye in text-form rather than on screen. Anyway, I'll stop there as this thread isn't supposed to have book talk.
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland

@daveh I found an American Gods podcast that I love: Storm's on the Way. One of the hosts, Alistair, is a writer and teacher whose previous podcasts I've really enjoyed, and he's hosting this with another book reader and a newbie but it seems pretty non-spoilery from what I've heard so far. They are also covering the novel in a separate podcast for those who are interested.

As for this episode, I really liked it. I wish Shadow would become more interesting so I could find his scenes with Laura more interesting or moving. I think he needs someone crackling to react to, otherwise his scenes drag a bit for me. Same for Laura -- she's great with Audrey in the previous episode or Mad Sweeney here. I mean, they are delightful together. I got a Preacheresque vibe from the violence. Playful and comic booky with a pitiable but hilarious doofus sporting a questionable Irish accent. And the size difference made it all the more hilarious.

Everything else was great. Direction by Vincenzo Natali: he was responsible for the animation prologue, and you could see Hannibal S3 in this episode with the extreme shallow focus, crossfade transitions, and the split diopter shot.

I love that everyone sees Technical Boy for the obnoxious punk that he is, and I'm glad that they addressed the problematic racial implications of the lynching in the first episode -- something that had made me extremely uncomfortable. Media Marilyn punching him with a kiss was perfection.

Crispin Glover was very Crispin Glover-y, but it works, I suppose. I would think someone like Christian Bale would be perfect in this role, but if they want to go more weird (and of course they would because Bryan Fuller), then Glover works. 

Oh, I was really tickled that Shadow just kept repeating, "Lawyer." Good boy. I'm sure A.Ron will be happy about that. 

Thank you for mentioning that podcat btw, I looked it up the other day as I've enjoyed his past podcasts as well.
    pavlovsbell
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • @pavlovsbell - Thanks for the recommendation. I'm only halfway through the s05 episode and it's already my favorite so far. 

In case others are looking as well, here are the podcasts I've tried plus a small note:

pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    You're welcome @daveh and @Cory . Yeah, I tried the ShatonTV one, and oooh boy, at least one of those hosts has too many issues with women and masculinity. Switched that one off quickly. 
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • MrXMrX CO
    Joanna Robinson is doing a podcast on the Storm of Spoilers feed, but not with her normal hosts, instead a friend of hers who is also big into the book.

"The Hosts" (crew from Cast of Thrones) are also covering the show. They're pretty silly but if you're into their schtick then you might like it...