Sunday afternoon above the Northwest

emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
So my brother, who's a pilot finishing up his commercial license had to take a "long cross country" flight to qualify for his check ride (test) so he took me with him on a 5 hour flight, we crossed Washington state from our hometown airport in Bremerton and flew to Sandpoint, which is a beautiful little community in northern Idaho along lake Pend Oreille 

If you've never flown, and by flying I don't mean commercial, I mean a clear day flight in a small plane close enough to the ground to make out the details, I recommend it strongly. There's so much to see from 2500 to 8000 feet and at least in the US there's more airports then you think to fly to. 

Here's some pictures. 

Seattle:

Mt Ranier

Eastern Washington, the Columbia River

akritenbrinkjazzminawaMichelle

Comments

• emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho

akritenbrink
  • I've only ever flown in one of those two passenger planes once and it was awesome - but expensive. Does he have a plane too? Or you can just rent it since he has the license?
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    That looks like a really fun trip. A couple of years ago in July (so- clear skies and long days) I interviewed for a job in Boise and it was clear they were going to offer it to me, which they did end up doing a few days after I got back. I was thinking about moving there for the lower cost of living. But after being their guest for a couple of days, having a wonderful time and being ready to accept the job if they offered it to me, I flew back and as we made the descent into Seattle I knew I couldn't leave. It's so gorgeous here all the time, but especially from the air when you have the light like that and everything.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    Really great pics!  Thanks for sharing!
    edited May 31

I've only ever flown in one of those two passenger planes once and it was awesome - but expensive. Does he have a plane too? Or you can just rent it since he has the license?

He rented the plane from the FBO (fixed base operator, basically the business that services planes and pilots) at Bremerton Airport.

This plane rents at about 229 dollars per flight hour. (Fuel included, it burns 13 gallons per hour, and the aviation gasoline costs about 5 dollars a gallon because it is still leaded) it is a 1978 Beechcraft Sierra (which is a very common aircraft used for commercial flight training, I guarantee you any airline pilot has flown this type of plane during training at least once)

My brother is an instrument rated pilot, but he doesn't yet have his commercial license, he is soon taking his flight test with an FAA examiner, if he passes he can start working as a pilot

He doesn't own a plane now, I'd imagine that will change when he can start working and has some money !
  • @emnofseattle whew, yeah that's not cheap. But I guess if you're doing it to practice to make pilot money it's worth it. 
    edited May 31

@emnofseattle whew, yeah that's not cheap. But I guess if you're doing it to practice to make pilot money it's worth it. 

Yeah, if you're into flying as a hobby there is more inexpensive ways to go, I'm thinking of saving up and getting a private pilots license. I can rent a Cessna 150 for 99 dollars an hour for flight lessons, well 200 with instructor.

As far as expensive, before we left Bremerton the FBO was loading a catering order on to a Gulfstream G650 that was flying to California. I helped them load the order just to see the inside, if you've ever wondered what the 1% fly like, they got a nice plane with a bar, catered lunch options, Digital TV screens.

I'm bettin that plane is a little more then 229 an hour...
    akritenbrinkjazzminawa