Twin Peaks Commissioned Pod

fidozfidoz Houston
As far as theory crafty and buzz, I think @aron  and @Jim underestimate how popular this show was on college campuses. I know at my university there were many watch parties going on every episode with 15-20 people. After the episode we'd all sit around and discuss the episode and our theories about who killed LP and after the reveal the significance of the the black lodge etc...
TravishypergenesbElisaGordon

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited May 30
    I can't really speak to that, personally because I missed that boat. I didn't see the show until the late 90s. I was really hung over and taking a nice "in bed day" and a channel was doing a Twin Peaks marathon that just happened to be starting as I was flipping channels. I got totally engulfed and watched season one that day and found my way to season 2 not long thereafter. I remember being super annoyed at how hard it was to find the pilot episode on VHS and that I always just had to start with episode 2 (luckily the pilot was part of the televised marathon so at least I had seen it). I am bummed that I missed out on all the sort of phenomena wave, but it's a fantastic show.

I'm only about half way through the pod, but I am happy for @Jim in the sense that if he likes Donna he never has to proceed into the show far enough to realize that she is THE ABSOLUTE WORST!! Oh my God, Donna is so insufferable, though it doesn't come truly into focus until later.

Anyhoo, I'm really enjoying the pod so far. Looking forward to continuing it after work when I can pay better attention that listening at my desk.

EDIT: Also, if anyone is interested in such things Psych did a really, really great homage episode to Twin Peaks called Dual Spires which was packed full of great references and jokes and featured a few members of the old TP cast. It's a really great episode and you don't really need to know anything about Psych to enjoy it. Definitely recommend it.

ElisaDee
  • I think at the time of original airing, it had somewhere around 30million viewers (think I heard that on a podcast or two). It was a phenomena at the time and I'm glad I watched it without all of the speculation that occurs now. Great podcast by the way for such a small chunk of the overall show.
    TravisElisafidozakritenbrink
  • I didn't get very far into this podcast yet but I always heard it was studio interference that caused Lynch to have to reveal who the killer was and it was only after that that he kind of "checked out" of the show. Not sure if the general public were getting impatient and that's what caused the studio interference. Everything up to and including the reveal is great though as is the s2 finale and all the new stuff so far. I'm a sucker for Twin Peaks brand of weirdness though. I'm not a TOTAL Lynch slappy but Twin Peaks does it for me.
    TravisElisa
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    Listening to the podcast and I had to pause and write this post.

If you were too young or not around back then, it's  hard for anyone to really understand how impactful this show was when it first aired. 

Jim, the cheesy soap-opera music, the weird biker bar (that is not like any real biker bar) are all part of Lynch's weird take on the show. Oh man I wish you could take off your 2017 lens and see this show as it originally was.

That scream that Grace Zabriskie gave (Laura Palmer's mom) was unlike any scream heard on television before. It was real and Lynch let the audience wallow in it for as long as he could get away with. Our eyes are so trained today to not even notice these things, but back then, it was incredible. The lingering camera shots, the awkward pauses, the bizarre dialogue--none of this had been done on TV before. I know it's hard to see it now though, because we have those techniques on the worst of shows.

And for the love of all that is holy will you watch Blue Velvet? It is one of the seminal films of the century for god's sake.

TravisElisacdriveaberry89Rayana@rochesterrr.comhypergenesbfidozDaveyMacGordonAntManBee
  • @Hollyoak comission it and they will have no choice ;)
    AntManBee
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    Yeah, I know King Kobra. I know the boys have so many shows and movies that pay for The Bald Move Empire it has to be hard to catch up on certain shows and movies. 

I'm kind of biased, because I like David Lynch so much. 

When I first saw Blue Velvet in the theater, when Frank Booth first arrived, there was a lot of nervous laughter. That ended very quickly.

"Where's my bourbon."
    --Frank Booth
    hypergenesbAntManBee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Commissioned podcast - Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Blue Velvet - yaaaas!
    hypergenesb
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I remember going away to Toronto for work and the three of us had to get together and watch Twin Peaks in my co-workers room.  It was appointment TV.
    AntManBee
  • I started S1 about a year ago and loved it. The short season made it extremely watchable for me. However, S2 was not so much fun. After 2 or 3 episodes I just wasn't hooked anymore (I think it just got really weird, I can't recall exactly), I stopped caring. And the number of episodes in the season became a daunting task, so it remains unwatched. I want to finish it at some point and catch up with the new episodes, but I'll probably have to wait until sometime in the winter when there is less new content coming out.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 31
    This podcast inspired me & my wife to rewatch Season 1 & 2.  I forgot the pilot was damn near 2 hours long but we motored through it last night.  It was so damn wonderful to circle back after all these years.  I was 10 in 1990, so Twin Peaks was that odd tv series that the adults were buzzing about, and that I'd flip to but then confusedly switch to something else.  

My wife and I got into it in our 20s.  Did a big binge-athon with Netflix mail DVDs.  Season 1 & 2, Fire Walk With Me, whole 9 yards.  Now she did watch TP when she was 10 cause her parents or maybe it was her brother watched it.  There are 2 things I've learned I cannot fuck around about with her because she is seriously permanently traumatized:  #1, the old hag in The Shining's Room 237 scene.  Like I can't print a picture of the old hag and have it taped to the shower wall.  Can't make the old hag a screen saver on her PC, stuff like that. And #2 can't fuck around with Bob.  Can't act like Bob at the foot of the bed or anything like that.  She is to this day absolutely terrified of Bob.  To me he's just always looked like some roadie for a southern rock band, but I guess I can sorta see why he's in the pantheon of terrifying characters when he gets that super maniacal facial expression & laughter.  

ElisaTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 30
    Copied from my Facebook comment: this show blew my mind when it came out. My friend and I would meet at her place every week and sit in her little TV room (her husband in the lounge), with our drinks and snacks and ciggies (it was the 90s, what can I say), taping it as we watched, and TAKING NOTES. We would spend the next week analysing everything, rewatching our recordings, going back over previous episodes to try to piece clues together, etc. I'd never experienced anything like it before.

And @Travis, totally with you on Donna. To this day anyone who speaks with that breathy whisper kind of voice is like fingernails down a blackboard for me.
    ElisaTravis
  • xulsolar22xulsolar22 Houston, TX
    My mom was one of the 30 million who watched Twin Peaks, & for whatever reason, let 10-year-old me watch alongside her. This show scared the shit out of me. Permanently traumatized is right! It was so bad that my brother was tasked with taking me to the pool every summer day & making me swim endless laps just to tire me out so I would sleep at night.

It was so funny to hear Aron describing Bob as "the weird looking hippie dude." To this day, Bob is still the most terrifying thing I have ever seen! @cdrive, I will never forgive you for changing our PC screensaver to a picture of a maniacally smiling Bob... and the monitor was next to the window too.
    TravisDeeRayana@rochesterrr.comKingKobrajazzminawa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^ haha. still sorry about that.  but it's kinda funny now, right? heheh
  • It was so funny to hear Aron describing Bob as "the weird looking hippie dude." To this day, Bob is still the most terrifying thing I have ever seen! @cdrive, I will never forgive you for changing our PC screensaver to a picture of a maniacally smiling Bob... and the monitor was next to the window too.

I'm in this Facebook group where the creator of the group will come up with questions about bands or movies or food or various pop culture and what not, and the group puts together top 5 lists as answers. We did "scariest characters in tv or movies" a couple of weeks back and Bob won hands down. I knew that he would have my vote, but I was really surprised that so many people shared that take. I thought it would be way more fringe-y, but I would say he was on roughly 80% of the lists and he was at the top of almost all of the ones he was on.

@Dee Right? Her whole way of being is just the worst. I hate that breathy thing too. Ugh! Donna sucks so bad.
    xulsolar22DeecdriveAntManBee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    That gif of Bob climbing over the couch freaks me out every time I see it.
    Travisxulsolar22Elisafidoz
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 30
    And the great thing about Twin Peaks is that it was directly preceded by the infamous James, Donna and Maddie sing-along! Too bad Jim and A.Ron weren't forced to watch that scene, lol

DeeTravisElisacdriveMelonusk
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @MrX Oh man, which is the bigger nightmare!
    TravisMrXcdriveMelonusk
  • Yeah, guys. Twin Peaks was a fantastic show that made some really, really weird choices. That scene is the poster for that. I get the necessity of the whole James and Donna thing, but I was always more or less checking my watch hoping they would move onto other characters. Donna is certainly the worst, but James isn't all that much better.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

A really strange coincidence worthy of Twin Peaks...

I recently started re-watching Northern Exposure from the beginning.  I'd watched up to episode 4 of season 1.  I took a break for a bit and ended up listening to the Bald Move Twin Peaks podcast where they briefly mentioned Northern Exposure.  I thought that was pretty freaky.  Then late last night, I ended up watching ep 5 of Northern Exposure, and there's a Twin Peaks parody scene in it! 

I couldn't find it in English, but here's a Hungarian version of the scene (again, perfectly apt for a Twin Peaks reference!).  When they look through the telescope they discuss seeing a woman carrying a log like a pet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C1AfNIjHio

• MrXMrX CO
    aberry89TravistedkGredalBeeAntManBee
  • xulsolar22xulsolar22 Houston, TX
    edited May 31
    Dee said:

I think that might be the scariest Bob scene ever. I remember bursting into tears soon after that episode ended.
    Boom. Childhood ruined.

Deefidoz
  • This conversation is fascinating.  I honestly have no idea what you're talking about but I'm imagining Bob is some pretty fucked up scenarios now.  If Bald Move was making more money I'd hire the guy who played Bob to film a new batch of creepy scenes and randomly insert them into our video content.  David Lynch would love that.
    cdriveDeeKingKobraxulsolar22TravisMelonuskGordonalexander.klassen
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I used to email gifs and pics of Killer Bob to a friend of mine and he wouldn't be able to sleep after seeing that. I hate horror films so Bob was scary as fuck to me. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston

Dee said:

I think that might be the scariest Bob scene ever. I remember bursting into tears soon after that episode ended.
    Boom. Childhood ruined.

Bob climbing over the couch still haunts my dreams. Still crazy that the guy that played Bob was a tech guy on the set that was accidentally shot in a scene and Lynch decided he was the perfect guy to play Bob.
    Elisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    James singing is still the undisputed cringe worthy moment on all of television. 
    ElisaTravis
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I have 30 minutes left in the pod and if @jim doesn't stop being so close minded, I might have to catch him with my death bag.

~ Killer Bob
    emnofseattleAntManBee
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Kyle Maclachlan - Blue Velvet, Showgirls, How I Met Your Mother, Sex in the City and many others. Also Richard Beymer (Ben Horne) was the star opposite Natalie Wood in West Side Story. Russ Tamblyn (Dr. Jacoby) was also in West Side Story. Peggy Lipton was a star in the 60's and 70's. She starred in The Mod Squad and is the mother of Rashida Jones.
    ElisaTravistedk
  • I remember as a kid the only references I had to Twin Peaks was an SNL sketch where everyone killed Laura Palmer and a reference in a Weird Al song. (I was 8 when it was airing)

But then in college I fell in love with Mulholland Dr. and sought out Twin Peaks after that. I saw ep. 2 first as the pilot was unavailable. I didn't know that there was a pilot and it was very weird dropping in on Ep. 2. Once I found out the pilot was missing I stopped watching and didn't catch up with the whole thing until a few years ago.

Anyway, I share everyone's sentiments about the middle of Season 2 and it was hard to sit through at times. But that finale blew me away and I still can't believe that aired on Broadcast television.
    Travis
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Just for the record, I'm Cory that is part of this commission. That is why I'm commenting so much. 
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Jim said:

This conversation is fascinating.  I honestly have no idea what you're talking about but I'm imagining Bob is some pretty fucked up scenarios now.  If Bald Move was making more money I'd hire the guy who played Bob to film a new batch of creepy scenes and randomly insert them into our video content.  David Lynch would love that.

Unfortunately, the guy who played Bob died a few years after the original Twin Peaks. :-(