White Gold and Loaded

DeeDee Adelaide
I know I tend to be one of about three people here who watches UK shows, but has anyone else seen these?

I've watched 5 episodes (shifty eyes) of White Gold and I am really enjoying it. Joe Thomas and James Buckley are essentially The Inbetweeners' Simon and Jay in 80s costumes, but I love those characters so I'm good with this. Ed Westwick is awesome as a slick and sleazy double-glazing salesman. I knew barely anything about him and don't even think I've ever seen him in anything (never watched Gossip Girl), so I had no idea what to expect.

The other one I've been watching is Loaded, about four friends who sell a game app to an American company for millions, but then have to put up with the company breathing down their necks to create more. It's one of those low key comedy dramas that the Brits do really well - nothing life changing, but enjoyable to watch, and seeing the under-rated Jonny Sweet accidentally kidnap a middle aged woman "for 8 minutes" who thinks he's an uber driver is a delight.

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I like British shows, but I only watch whatever is on Netflix or BBC America- Some of which is Canadian!! Are these new shows?
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

I saw Joe Thomas and James Buckley on Graham Norton last Friday and meant to check out their new show but haven't yet.  I'm glad to hear that it's good!

I've also heard good things about Loaded, but haven't seen it yet either - I'll check it out too!

Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink New in UK as in started in the last few weeks, yep. They haven't been on Australian TV yet that I'm aware of and not sure about US. I - uh - I watch about 90% of my stuff by nefarious means (not promoting it, just saying what I do). In Australia it's either that or hand over wads of cash to Murdoch for most of the good shows (or wait months and then hand over wads of cash to Murdoch).
    akritenbrink
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull If you like The Inbetweeners you'll probably like White Gold. It's not as raucously hilarious, but it's got a similar vibe.
    CretanBull
    Dee said:

@akritenbrink New in UK as in started in the last few weeks, yep. They haven't been on Australian TV yet that I'm aware of and not sure about US. I - uh - I watch about 90% of my stuff by nefarious means (not promoting it, just saying what I do). In Australia it's either that or hand over wads of cash to Murdoch for most of the good shows (or wait months and then hand over wads of cash to Murdoch).

I have so many things to watch that I already handed over wads of cash to various media empires for that I don't mess around with that, haha. But I will check them out when they hit Netflix!
    For some reason, British shows go well with crochet. I think they might have a slower pace, not sure. So if you have any other British shows to recommend that are older and might be on Netflix, fire away!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink Hmm, I'll have a think. I watch a ton of their crime stuff but I know that's not your bag. How do you feel about quirky people in small villages type of things?
    Dee said:

@akritenbrink Hmm, I'll have a think. I watch a ton of their crime stuff but I know that's not your bag. How do you feel about quirky people in small villages type of things?

I like it! I don't mind some crime shows. I watched Shetland and enjoyed it.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 31
    @akritenbrink Okay, well I don't know how accessible any of these are for you, but for crime shows, I'm partial to DCI Banks (based on a series of novels and starring some great "that guy" Brits) and Line of Duty, which is about the team who investigate police corruption. They have a different story each season, and some amazing guest actors like Lennie James, Keeley Hawes and Thandie Newton.

For non-crime I really like Stella. It stars Ruth Jones from Gavin and Stacey (also recommend that if you've not seen it and you like quirky comedies), who plays a 40-ish single mum living in a small Welsh village with lots of odd characters. It's very sweet and funny without being twee, and easy to watch - I'd say the perfect knitting/crochet show. There's 5 seasons of about 8 episodes each, I think.

There's also one called In The Club, which is about several women having babies. The first season they are all pregnant and the second is them dealing with the babies. There are various dramas going on with their partners and whatnot too. Some excellent UK actresses and not that kind of sickly parenting stuff you sometimes get with baby/pregnancy shows - the baby thing is really just the hook for other random dramas. Again, would be a good one for craft because it doesn't require super close attention.

One of my favourite Brit genres is where there is a particular setting (a factory or a housing estate, for example), and a bunch of characters, and each character gets an episode for their story. There are a couple of older (90s/early 2000s) ones like The Street and Clocking Off, and a more recent one in the last couple of years called Ordinary Lies. Episodes vary in quality depending on whose story it is and what it's about, but they're easy to watch, and they have some really excellent actors.

Oh, and recently I happened across Uncle, a comedy about a schlubby manchild musician who hangs out with his socially awkward nephew. It's pretty laid back, not hilarious but quite funny and warm.
    jazzminawaakritenbrink
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink I'm sure I'll think of more to add!
  • I love British shows, I can't wait for more recommendations haha @Dee - I just have to wait for them to hit Netflix or Hulu.

Is Australian tv similar? I had an Australian teammate in college and the only thing she ever showed me was Summer Heights High (it was funny but I didn't like the brown face he did for the Tongan character).

Does anyone here watch Coronation Street?

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited June 1
    @jazzminawa Australian drama is pretty much always a group of interconnected people in their 20s/30s/40s having relationship dramas and whatnot. I call it the "coming to terms with things" genre. Some of them are excellent (Love My Way is one I would recommend if you have access to it). Some are just meh.

Comedy is usually very specifically Australian, and I don't know how much of it would appeal to non-Aussies, though Summer Heights High is typical of us so if you like that you might get on board with more (I agree about the brown face, btw, not a good idea). Kath and Kim is likely our most famous comedy - it was unsuccessfully remade in the US with Molly Shannon and Selma Blair. It's about a mother and her spoiled adult daughter and they are both very recognisable Aussie stereotypes (everyone has a Kath or a Kim in their family).

Upper Middle Bogan is another good one - about a doctor who was brought up in a well off leafy suburb by her adoptive parents, and she finds out her birth parents are, well, bogans. I don't know if you know what that means, but think NASCAR, I guess? It's a clash of cultures comedy and it works well because all of the characters are likeable. Again, I don't know if these shows ever end up in your neck of the woods. Do you know if you get Australian TV shows at all?

@CretanBull I don't watch Corrie, but I've been addicted to Eastenders for years.
    I just looked and there are 42 offerings under "Australian TV Shows" on our Netflix.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink Wow, I didn't even know we had 42 shows, haha!
    akritenbrink
    I think the Australian show on Netflix I've heard the most buzz about is Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. But it seems they have a couple of shows in every conceivable genre, from crime to comedy to cute animals to crocodiles.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink Miss Fisher is popular here among the mums and grandmas set - it's based on a series of novels about a lady private detective in the 1920s. Lots of lovely House Of Elliot style fashion. I've seen a few episodes and it's cute - probably good for crochet. ;-)
    akritenbrink
    I watched some but wasn't into it. I'm watching The Doctor Blake Mysteries right now.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink My mum loves that one. I've only seen a couple of episodes. The main guy was one of the "hot guys" in our biggest local soap opera in the 80s, so it's kind of weird watching him as a middle aged genteel doctor now. Makes me feel super old.
    akritenbrink

The best Aussie show that I've seen is Wentworth

@Dee I never really got into EastEnders.   I more or less grew up with Corrie though.  When I was a little kid my babysitter watched it, then when I was a bit older I went to my grandparent's house after school and they watched.  I lost touch with it for quite awhile after that (like 15years!), but my mum retired early and I was working midnight shifts at the time (it now comes on at 7:30pm here, but it used to come on at 3:30 in the afternoon) so we both got back into it together.  I've fallen behind recently, but I have all of the episodes that I've missed on my PVR - they're just waiting there for me to marathon!

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull I am so conflicted about Wentworth. It's based on a show from the late 70s/early 80s called Prisoner (Prisoner: Cell Block H overseas), that was essentially a night time soap. I have really fond memories of it in all its cheesy glory, so the gritty reboot makes me a bit mad. Wentworth is a good show though, I'll admit.
    CretanBull
    Dee said:

@CretanBull I am so conflicted about Wentworth. It's based on a show from the late 70s/early 80s called Prisoner (Prisoner: Cell Block H overseas), that was essentially a night time soap. I have really fond memories of it in all its cheesy glory, so the gritty reboot makes me a bit mad. Wentworth is a good show though, I'll admit.

The original show aired in Canada too...I was too young to watch it, but I remember seeing it.  We had that for a bit and a little later we got "Neighbours".  Those two shows along with Kangaroos,  AC/DC and Men At Work was just about everything I knew about Australia as a kid!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull Well, that pretty much sums us up!
    CretanBull