Episode 511 - "The Distance"

Director: Larysa Kondracki
Writer: Seth Hoffman

Don't forget, we'll be doing a Live Watch for the 9pm EST showing.   Here's the link:

Comments

• JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    Rick - you talk too much my friend...
    **bitch slap**
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    You guys missed Eugene's poker rules... hilarious! Tara "You mean there are 24 wild cards? You can't be serious?" Eugene "serious as 2 copulating dogs"
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    lol!
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Dug this episode. But i see the show getting SUPER slow the next few episodes
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    This episode was pretty damn near perfect if you ask me.

Homage to old school horror: Flare zombie, red lighting, slow doomy music, silhouette zombies. LOVED IT.

Sweet ass shot of Washington that gives us, for the first time since season 1, the feeling this show actually takes place in the real world. And a beautifully composed shot at that, framed through the windshield of the RV.

Lots of moments of hope weaved throughout the episode. Most notably the love between the new guy and Eric establishing them as good people deserving of trust. Whatever happens this sets up any potential drama and tragedy in Alexandria perfectly.
    AmbitiousBukky
  • This was my favorite of the 3 back 8 episodes. No ginormous implausabilities that made my head spin around. I liked how suspicious the whole group was. Rick's mistrust was completely justified.

Michonne proved once again Danai G. has chemistry with everyone. I think they need to kill off a few more characters. The cast is so big that most of them get one or two lines (if that) that aren't memorable. Does anyone remember what Carol or Carl said this week? Zombie kill of the week has to be the flare to the face.

Looking forward to seeing the group incorporate into Alexandria. I just hope they don't spend too much time on this. Maybe I'm becoming jaded but the walkers don't feel terrifying anymore. The real scares come from humans and I hope we get new villains soon.
    Kim from Baltimore.
  • I liked this episode a lot too. It just flowed much better even though it wasn't exactly action heavy. Having Aaron as a new potential friend or foe was great. Rick is cautious almost to a fault (travelling at night on an unknown road?) but I'm much more on his side than the overly optimistic Michonne. The problem with Rick's assessment of silence=trouble in Woodbury and Terminus is that Woodbury had times when people were outside strolling and having fun, it just happened to be curfew when Rick arrived. It seemed like a normal, healthy society, which is what Alexandria sounds like too. I just hope they don't let their guard down completely and are still heavily skeptical of whoever's in charge there.
  • I also enjoyed this episode. I really like how this was Michonne's coming out party as a leader. She stepped up big time and it was totally believable with all the history the writers have shown us. And there's the extra little nugget of knowing that she was extremely distrustful of the Governor in Season 3, even referring to him as a "Jim Jones" type when she first met the Grimes gang at the prison.

Flash forward to last night and she was finally ready to lead her people to a new community, of course with some lingering doubts along the way (questioning Aaron about why there were no people in his pictures). Good stuff.
  • Man I was losing hope for the second half of the season until now. This was well written and directed and actually overall well rounded.  If they can deliver more episodes like "The Distance" I think people would be happy with the show over all.  They paid homage to previous horror movies in look and style, some progression, and we had more character development. The relationship between Rick and Michonne as defined in this episode worked rather well.  Aaron's time on screen was great, applesauce hating aside. Aaron and Eric had good chemistry on screen.

Great episode.     

• This was a stronger episode, moving in the right direction. Good comedy from Abraham's "we're going to make it", good Zombie set piece that wasn't farcical either.

They havn't been getting it right yet this half season,  agree with @John_Nada this episode felt a lot more rounded.

Considering how many physical miles they're covering and the story opportunities that presents, It's felt like they could have done alot more with that journey though.

One stupid thing , I couldn't help thinking Aaron has  got pretty strong Kevin Spacey vibe going, he sounds ridiculously like him in cadence, accent and all,  and has got a bit of a general KS vibe. More of a American Beauty Spacey , not Southern House of Cards Spacey, but still, just me?
  • Really enjoyed the episode especially the new dimension of genuine hope & maybe early days of Richonne. Exactly what I want from an episode of The Walking Dead. 
  • I'm really surprised that A. Ron said this episode was just serviceable, if I remember the instant take podcast correctly. Maybe he'll reconsider on his rewatch.

For me, this was one of the best episodes I've seen. It was huge!

• The group doubting the Almighty Rick Grimes
    * The mystery surrounding Aaron, or whatever his name is.
    • That freaking zombie drive-thru road rage
    • In the woods with walkers all around, not knowing where everyone is
    • Rick cold-cocking Aaron.lol. Do not approach Rick Grimes
    • Showing the audience that Rick is pretty, well, screwed up when it comes to trusting anyone. Anywhere. Any more.

I don't know. I loved it, and I'm curious to learn what Alexandria holds. I wonder if this is in the comics.

Don't tell me: spoilers.
  • r0ck44r0ck44 Fairborn, Ohio
    I thought this was the best episode since 4 walls and a roof
  • @FlashGordon I could see your Kevin Spacey point.
  • i agree with A.Ron on this one. This episode it goes up on the meter, because the last two were terrible. Plus it's the beginning of a new storyline, which the show desperately needed. Overall, it had a few above average moments (that tight shot on Rick's eyes being my fave), but really nothing to write home about imo.
  • I really liked this one too. I was getting a little frustrated with Rick, but can I (or anybody) really fault him for being really paranoid and a bit overly aggressive about protecting his group after Woodberry and Terminus? So, in a way I would give the show credit for that. Creating a situation that was a little uncomfortable to watch, but with completely justifiable parameters. I was engaged enough to kind of want to shake Rick, but ultimately he had every right to be a little over the top. It was his duty to be over the top. Go TWD team! Well done.

I loved the whole sequence in the woods and in the car leading up to it. That whole situation was so well orchestrated (though I do agree that the RV was maybe a little TOO vanish-y. I enjoyed A.Ron's Tokyo Drift reference). I really dug that setting and the tension of it all. I actually bought in enough to think that Glenn might actually get bit. Great scene.

All in all, I just thought it was really well done. I'm really excited to get into the town and see where it goes, and like Jim and A.Ron mentioned, what happens when Rick is given the opportunity to let his guard down. Very cool. I rate all of it pretty high.

Also, just to note one annoying thing, that wound that Abraham suffered seems to be healing up pretty nice. That's some bullshit, but whatever. I guess that, like A.Ron has said many times they stopped caring about these things a long time ago and I suppose I have to as well. It was just so blatant though. Ugh.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    This episode was a step in the right direction.  I actually enjoyed Rick's well-earned paranoia, which didn't veer too much into Crazy Town, as he did listen to the other members, and like @hypergenesb, I loved seeing his eyes soften when he heard the children playing.  I'm curious to see how he will adjust to a new community where he's not top dog.

The dialogue, however, still bugs the hell out of me.
  • Aaron would have lost my trust the moment he refused to eat the applesauce.  What an idiotic choice he initially made to refuse such a simple request.  Was this dummy really ready to die just because he hates applesauce THAT damned much?  What that moment really did was make me question the writing, honestly.

Now I feel bad that my first post is me bitching about something (but then again, it is the Internet ;) ), so let's end on a positive: I don't know where this story is going (I'm not comic book spoiled), but it's nice that this time it actually looks like a legitimate safe house for a change instead of another bait and switch like the Governor and Terminus.  This show is going to lose me if it keeps that trick going over and over, and I think it would be more interesting to see the group actually start to develop a new post-apocalyptic society and have new and different threats for a change other than watching the collapse of yet another false-hope community.
  • "My heart is a cherry bomb and my vocal chords are being shredded like so much frosted wheat!" "I'll go get the Xanax and alpaca tranquilizers."

Totally cracked me up. Great stuff.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015

Also, Jim is crazy. Either Rex is a human being or the writers have failed to show us the one dog in history with opposable thumbs. I would pose the Harvey alternative explanation (as we have recently seen, Abraham enjoys a drink when presented with the opportunity), but Rosita knew Rex as well. (couldn't insert picture, imagine Jimmy Stewart and a man in a bunny suit in a very classy portrait) 

Maybe it was Rex Hudler! Maybe the Wonder Dog survived the zombie apocalypse for a while.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @trippy Those are all excellent questions, but I think that they are still physically and mentally weakened, as evidenced the general lack of conversation even within the group and by Rick forgetting to ask the Three Questions.  Also, the writers want us to discover the answers when the characters do, and it will have more impact visually.  It would be annoying and make Aaron look suspicious if they did ask and he evaded the questions.  The applesauce scene was frustrating enough.
  • I'd like to think Rec got his face pulverized by a can of spaghetti rings
  • Is it my imagination or did Daryl's cigarette burn magically disappear? Maybe God healed it when he was sending the food, water, and tornado.  LOL

Kim
  • trippy said:

Oh what are the thoughts on the gun that Rick hid in the blender jar/top  he found the very convenient house that conveniently was there to be  conveniently found?   Is this just rick assuming their weapons would be taken, and if he needs to get his hands on a weapon at some point?

I think it's just Rick being cautious. It served them in good stead at Terminus.

Kim
  • At this point I think Jim and A.Ron are just putting in random details with the podcast to see if we are all paying attention. First the impossibility of taking a 1/4 mile detour to drive around a walker herd, and now the Noah-ankle issue. Dude's leg was messed up and he was limping from the first moment we/Beth met him. The ankle injury certainly contributed to his limp I would imagine but he was neither lying about his leg injury nor embellishing his limp. It's always been there.

But holy crap the other plot holes recently (not really asking Aaron any worthwhile questions, the RV apparently having incredible brakes and handling capabilities, the Sascha/Abe knife cut, the complete lack of realism with the road numbers and approach to Virginia, what have they been feeding Judith the last month or so, etc. It's clear the writers are not that interested in intellectual consistency. Damn shame.
  • FWIW, I think arriving at Alexandria COULD BE a watershed moment for the show if the writers focus on how our miscreant heroes adjust back to 'normal' life. Some great possibilities ahead.
  • linolino Atlanta, GA

So here is what Greg Nicotero said (and didn't say) in an interview regarding Abraham's cut (BTW, it's bullshit) ...

I love the walkers-over-the-ravine scene. It was a clever way of having the exhausted group deal with them. But then the very angry Sasha took it to a different place. During the fight, she accidentally cut Abraham, with the knife that was covered in walker blood. Should we be worried about Abraham's arm?

GN: No. I'm glad that you caught that, though, because that was a subject of discussion. That was really more of an opportunity to convey that Sasha’s reckless behavior is endangering the group as a whole, and putting Abraham in jeopardy, by hurting him. That's an interesting theme. In early drafts of that sequence, we had to be very cautious it didn't come off as cartoon-y, the walkers going over the edge of the ravine and sort of tumbling. It's really more about luring the walkers towards our group and then using the edge of the ravine to dispatch them, so they are expending a minimal amount of energy and still clearing themselves for survival. They wouldn't have made it if it would have been more of a fight.

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/the-walking-dead-postmortem-greg-nicotero-004752084.html

It's ridiculous that he could so cavalierly simply say "no" and move on. It makes be thing that they fail to understand their own show and the implications of the actions they take.

• brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    edited February 2015
    lino said:

So here is what Greg Nicotero said (and didn't say) in an interview regarding Abraham's cut (BTW, it's bullshit) ...

I love the walkers-over-the-ravine scene. It was a clever way of having the exhausted group deal with them. But then the very angry Sasha took it to a different place. During the fight, she accidentally cut Abraham, with the knife that was covered in walker blood. Should we be worried about Abraham's arm?

GN: No. I'm glad that you caught that, though, because that was a subject of discussion. That was really more of an opportunity to convey that Sasha’s reckless behavior is endangering the group as a whole, and putting Abraham in jeopardy, by hurting him. That's an interesting theme. In early drafts of that sequence, we had to be very cautious it didn't come off as cartoon-y, the walkers going over the edge of the ravine and sort of tumbling. It's really more about luring the walkers towards our group and then using the edge of the ravine to dispatch them, so they are expending a minimal amount of energy and still clearing themselves for survival. They wouldn't have made it if it would have been more of a fight.

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/the-walking-dead-postmortem-greg-nicotero-004752084.html

It's ridiculous that he could so cavalierly simply say "no" and move on. It makes be thing that they fail to understand their own show and the implications of the actions they take.

Agreed. I'm with A.Ron, there is no way they can introduce the comic variant on this in any credible fashion. 

They would have been better off to have Sasha cut Abraham's clothes (or someone else since he was sleeveless, but not dolphin smooth). Then they could have played up just how dangerous that was since the knife was covered in walker goo. And preserved the ability to pull off the comic plot point in the future.
  • goodmoregoodmore Ballston Spa, NY
    Noah has a giant scar on the back of his leg going from his ankle up his calf. He showed it to Beth at the hospital. Is he a pussy? Yes. A liar? No.
    TaraC73