307 - The Law of Inevitability

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Mike Barker
Writer: Noah Hawley and Matt Wolpert & Ben Nedivi

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I don't know, I'm starting to think the chief might be actually on the take, or very lazy.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Alkaid13 said:

I don't know, I'm starting to think the chief might be actually on the take, or very lazy.

If the Chief is on the take they better reveal that the last episode, because I would stop watching, I stuck through the fishnado and the UFOs and even defend both. the idea that this many coincidences are tied to VM Varga including buying off a police chief in some small town where some guy happens to be murdered is too much. 
    edited June 1
    Emmitt just blew that so hard. They only way that could've gone worse is if he started off with "kill my brother! Now why would I do that, I mean I have no reason to do a thing like that, what were we talking about?!"
    Sy crying is so pathetic it's sad and a little funny.
    edited June 1
    There WAS a man on the inside! Although the chief is just lazy.
    The Russian! The cliffhanger makes me question if Nikki is dead but why would Yuri leave her alive at this point?
  • Alkaid13 said:

There WAS a man on the inside! Although the chief is just lazy.

Idk if he was a police officer. He could have just gotten ahold of a uniform.
  • Mr. Wrench!!!! Please can we get a Yuri v. Wrench showdown.
    That Wrench cameo was pretty good, I hope it's more than just a cameo I'd love a new vs old school hitman showdown.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Drums make everything better.
    Melonusk

• Yeah, that was pretty cool.  I admire the restraint, but I wouldn't mind seeing other cameos (even though this is rumored to be the last season).  Sy's high-pitched crying voice was hilarious.  I didn't catch anything he said because of laughter.  I'm also glad Gloria got stonewalled by the other police.  She's one of the least likeable hero's I can remember in awhile.

It also just dawned on me that in Varga's backstory, he mentions operations in Russia and North Korea.  Yuri is some kind of Slavic and Meemo is some kind of Asian.  I wonder if he picked them up abroad, or to back my own theory, he's just making shit up because one guy happens to be Asian and the other guy happens to be Slavic and there's no bigger operation.
    Alkaid13 said:

That Wrench cameo was pretty good, I hope it's more than just a cameo I'd love a new vs old school hitman showdown.

Wasn't wrench killed in season 1? 

I though Molly made a note that wrench was shot by police on her conspiracy board after the year time jump
    Alkaid13 said:

He's certanly not a note taker at the police academy, the way he kept questioning Nikki after she asked for counsel was blatantly illegal
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alkaid13 said:

Or just wilfully stupid.
    KingKobra
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @GredalBee You don't like Gloria? I think she's great - she's gobby, sure, but I think she's just exasperated by the idiots and stonewallers she is surrounded by.
    Elisa
  • I'm kind of hoping that there's some curveball coming to recontextualize Varga's operation. It seems like killing Nikki in prison, and certainly crashing an entire busload of prisoners, would bring way more suspicion on them than whatever she might say. If they're really just looking for a money laundering operation then they should have peaced out when the IRS showed up, or at the very least when the brotherly feud started to attract police attention. There are any number of small time rich folks that Varga could push around, why is he bothering with Emmitt despite all these complications?
    Dee said:

Alkaid13 said:

Or just wilfully stupid.
    I dunno, I think he's coming around.

I suppose this next episode is the test, if he really still thinks Gloria's on the wrong path he can sideline her with a shooting investigation for firing a gun in the jail and that can take months, by then her remaining days as a "chief" are up and he can get rid of her.

If he doesn't do that we can assume he at least wants to believe her
    I think Chief Moe is actually just a simple guy who's pretty lazy and would prefer things to be simpler but faced with overwhelming evidence of a conspiracy has reluctantly agreed to help Gloria. I mean assuming next episode begins with Nicki having been kidnapped from the prison transfer bus that basically confirms it, if he tries to deny it after that he is either incompetent or on the take. Molly's board actually revealed the opposite about Wrench, it's says "officer killed as shootout suspect escapes" so presumably Wrench killed his hospital detail and made a break for it and was recently recaptured.
  • edited June 1

I'm kind of hoping that there's some curveball coming to recontextualize Varga's operation. It seems like killing Nikki in prison, and certainly crashing an entire busload of prisoners, would bring way more suspicion on them than whatever she might say. If they're really just looking for a money laundering operation then they should have peaced out when the IRS showed up, or at the very least when the brotherly feud started to attract police attention. There are any number of small time rich folks that Varga could push around, why is he bothering with Emmitt despite all these complications?

He mentioned it quickly, but they are working on securing ~50Million right now. I would think once the wheels are in motion for that, he wouldn't want to stop them quickly. Especially since as of now he's still dealing with "simple" locals who don't want to dig much. If it weren't for Gloria, this would have been all quickly swept under the rug.

Another great episode of Fargo IMO. A few cameos and lots of movement on the story. As usual this show has "picked up" at the right time.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13 said:

Molly's board actually revealed the opposite about Wrench, it's says "officer killed as shootout suspect escapes" so presumably Wrench killed his hospital detail and made a break for it and was recently recaptured.

Malvo killed the guard in the toilet room. That's probably the "officer killed".

Since it is very possible for a main character to die off screen in the Coen verse, I assumed it was the last time we saw Nikki alive. It was very hard to watch for me. Also, there isn't any plot armor left for her imo. Some people say it ended on a cliffhanger and that her fate isn't sealed. I hope they are right and I'm wrong.   
    Elisa
  • Shum Utah
    I don't understand why Varga and his men waited until Nikki was arrested before trying to kill her. Wouldn't it be easier to just kill her at the hotel and make it look like a suicide or something?
    toncica said:

Alkaid13 said:

Molly's board actually revealed the opposite about Wrench, it's says "officer killed as shootout suspect escapes" so presumably Wrench killed his hospital detail and made a break for it and was recently recaptured.

Malvo killed the guard in the toilet room. That's probably the "officer killed".

Since it is very possible for a main character to die off screen in the Coen verse, I assumed it was the last time we saw Nikki alive. It was very hard to watch for me. Also, there isn't any plot armor left for her imo. Some people say it ended on a cliffhanger and that her fate isn't sealed. I hope they are right and I'm wrong.   
    I guess it depends, I would love to see a scenario where Wrench is important to the plot for at least another episode, since I don't actually buy Yuri and the Karate Kid are that dangerous whereas Wrench was fairly dangerous, I can believe wrench can kill at least one of them unarmed
  • Shum said:

I don't understand why Varga and his men waited until Nikki was arrested before trying to kill her. Wouldn't it be easier to just kill her at the hotel and make it look like a suicide or something?

I would say, that the " go to kill" wasn't given until it was "too late". They obviously could get into the jail and if it wasn't for Gloria, there wouldn't be an issue.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Dealing with the stupidity of the Gloria's police chief to be is hard for some reason.  It's like watching a 1980s sitcom dumb boss being played almost straight.  Much harder for me to deal with than Emmitt being terrible at playing a part.  I hope to hell that after a prison transport is attacked, the chief at least will get on board...
  • Yeah, I'm a big Shea Whigham fan, but his character is driving me nuts. 

Solid episode, but like much of this season, it's just not really connecting with me. I love a lot of the elements and performances, but for whatever reason it's just not gelling with me all that much.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    This episode really bugged me.  Fargo isn't necessarily always grounded in reality, but this one went a little over the top in the last act.  The Russia guy is a laughable character to me already, I find nothing about him scary or intimidating, but the final scene of him making the bus crash was dumb.  It was annoying how he casually walked into the bus and started to saw on the gate, as if there aren't 3-4 armed cops in the bus who are more than likely awake in some capacity.
  • I'm pretty sure I saw Meemo and DJ Qualls right behind Yuri in that last scene, they could have been standing there pointing guns at the half dead cops laying upside down in the bus. I don't think it was that un-realistic. 

Gloria bursting into the cell room randomly was much more un-realistic to me.

I don't see how you can say Yuri isn't intimidating.....i probably would pull a Donny and just leave as well, that "you asked me to leave and i did" speech was creepy as shit to me.
  • I hope we get a scene of Donny explaining why he left that guy alone in the office...

"he was scary" is about how I would  expect that to go.
    Brett68 said:

I'm pretty sure I saw Meemo and DJ Qualls right behind Yuri in that last scene, they could have been standing there pointing guns at the half dead cops laying upside down in the bus. I don't think it was that un-realistic. 

I don't see how you can say Yuri isn't intimidating.....i probably would pull a Donny and just leave as well, that "you asked me to leave and i did" speech was creepy as shit to me.
    Because Yuri hasn't done anything that would contextualize himself as a dangerous either to audience or the characters. Like Wrench from season 1, he and his friend numbers were badasses, who lost to a bigger badass.

This Yuri I guess can dump 70 year old off a garage, with help he can beat a woman half his body weight, and this goofball cop couldn't call Moe or Gloria and say there's an armed trespasser in the library?
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    edited June 3

Brett68 said:

I'm pretty sure I saw Meemo and DJ Qualls right behind Yuri in that last scene, they could have been standing there pointing guns at the half dead cops laying upside down in the bus. I don't think it was that un-realistic. 

Because Yuri hasn't done anything that would contextualize himself as a dangerous either to audience or the characters. Like Wrench from season 1, he and his friend numbers were badasses, who lost to a bigger badass.

This Yuri I guess can dump 70 year old off a garage, with help he can beat a woman half his body weight, and this goofball cop couldn't call Moe or Gloria and say there's an armed trespasser in the library?
    He is playing on the potential ignorance of people in Minnesota to Russians.  He isn't a big guy at all.  He hasn't done anything to warrant being afraid of.  He definitely doesn't come off as intelligent either.  He has just been lucky he has dealt with extremely incompetent people.