American Gods - 106 - A Murder of Gods (No Book Spoilers)

DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
edited June 6 in Other TV
Dir. Adam Kane
Writ. Seamus Kevin Fahey
KingKobra

Comments

• I liked this episode, but it did feel like a transition in some ways. We got a little more on Wednesday and the Leprechaun is always a highlight....
    Elisa
  • That Vulcan stuff was pretty cool.

And man, that intro was heartbreaking. American Christianity ain't got no tolerance for Mexican Jesus.
    DaveyMac
  • edited June 5
    It took me a few episodes to warm up to this show, but now I completely love it and look forward to it every week. It is so bonkers and enjoyable, it really is unlike anything else on tv. Hated Laura at the start but I'm starting to *kinda* like her. I like that they brought back the Salim-not-Salim character - I thought he was made into a jinn, but I guess not? Also, the tree roots in Shadow's stomach made my skin crawl, that was really disturbing...
    DaveyMac
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I just get sick thinking about Laura rotting from the inside out. I just want her to go chill in an industrial cooler somewhere.

I just keep hoping that they don't go there with a sex scene between her and Shadow while she's still rotting. Although the mechanics of that and seeing Shadow throw up in his mouth might be worth it.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 6
    I'm starting to feel good about how much liberty they're taking from the book; at first I didn't know if there was enough to stretch this out into so many seasons, but I think Gaiman had a lot more canon about this world in his head, and is doing a good job working with Fuller and Green to tell a new version of this story.

Didn't know I wanted a Laura, Sweeney and Salim road movie. But turns out the vulgar unlucky leprechaun, the gay Muslim searching for his genie, and a zombie girl trying to win back her husband makes for high entertainment!

I liked to addition of Vulcan (sad that we won't be getting more Corbin Bersen tho!), shows how an old god can adapt to the new world. And it was cool to see Wednesday not take any shit from him.
    kingbee67darwinfeeshyDaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited June 6
    I really enjoyed the Laura, Salim-Not-Salim, Mad Sweeney road show as well. They're all so different, and I thought they played well off of each other. Also, the more time we spend with Laura, the more valuable I think that 4th episode was in terms of building her character. 

And it was interesting to see an old volcano god adapting and modernizing (Though, I can't call the 'values' he's encouraging to be very modern). I must say, though, that I wasn't digging the visual effects work when Vulcan was sacrificed. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles

That Vulcan stuff was pretty cool.

And man, that intro was heartbreaking. American Christianity ain't got no tolerance for Mexican Jesus.
    Border militias
  • The awful Bryan Fullerness of this thing is really starting to turn me off. The same slow purcusive music over absolutely everything, and the incredibly tedious attempt to make every bit of violence and gore "artistic". At this point I only look up when Ian McShane is talking, but that's still worth it.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 7
    Oh my boy you may want to leave now then, because Fuller hasn't even gone full Fuller yet. Me, I revel in it, REVEL!!! You can see a hundred tv shows filmed in exactly the same way, with the same boring sound design - but I know when I come here, I am getting something operatic, indulgent and delicious. @alexander.klassen  
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • MrXMrX CO
    aberry89 said:

Oh my boy you may want to leave now then, because Fuller hasn't even gone full Fuller yet. Me, I revel in it, REVEL!!! You can see a hundred tv shows filmed in exactly the same way, with the same boring sound design - but I know when I come here, I am getting something operatic, indulgent and delicious. @alexander.klassen  

Yup I think there is still some more levels of opulence that Fuller is saving for us.

KingKobraElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @MrX  Haha, and that's just a promo image. It's fairly mundane compared to more wackadoodle surrealist imagery that we could post, except I wouldn't want to spoil anyone.

I'm ambivalent about this episode. There were parts that I loved, mostly the Dead Wife Crew road trip, but the political statements were so cartoonish and rather shallow that they failed to move me, and I should be moved when I see racist and fascist imagery.
    DaveyMac
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • To book readers, I guess potential spoilers follow: does Shadow ever stop questioning reality? I get that in the show it's only been like a week, but it's 6 weeks as a viewer.  You've been lynched by pixelated faces, your dead girlfriend is walking around and Lucy Ricardo offered you a nip slip... we left Kansas a long time ago dude.  Let's stop questioning reality and get with the program.
  • @GredalBee ifnit was a book spoiler, and possible future plot device, wouldn't it be better for the book spoiler thread?
  • edited June 7
    I don't want to see the massive spoilers in there, so no thank you.  I'm asking the equivalent of is Shadow always going to be a dunce.  Yes or no should not ruin the series for anyone.
  • MrXMrX CO
    GredalBee said:

To book readers, I guess potential spoilers follow: does Shadow ever stop questioning reality? I get that in the show it's only been like a week, but it's 6 weeks as a viewer.  You've been lynched by pixelated faces, your dead girlfriend is walking around and Lucy Ricardo offered you a nip slip... we left Kansas a long time ago dude.  Let's stop questioning reality and get with the program.

Mildly interesting.
    KingKobradarwinfeeshy
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, I'm frustrated by Shadow's slowness. He seems to be a smart guy in most other respects, and he self-educated while in prison, but Laura, the nonbeliever, is a helluva lot quicker: "Did you just name drop Jesus Christ like you know a guy who knows a guy?" Did the New Gods' sales pitch in the previous episode not give Shadow a big old honking clue that should have made things click for him? And here he asks Wednesday who he is and then lets it drop when Wednesday says, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." Seriously?

Right now, I'm all about Mad Sweeney, Laura, and Salim. Especially Salim who is too good, too pure for this world. I hope he finds his Jinn.

Oh, and of course, Ian McShane because Ian McShane.
    DaveyMac
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • I pretty much agree with you @pavlovsbell on the things you both liked and didn't like about this episode. Though I liked a lot of the underlying ideas with Vulcan and stuff, I do feel like the writing and the execution was a bit too much on the cartoony/shallow side to really have an impact.

Also, without spoiling the book, Shadow is passive throughout the book, but I don't remember him being this slow with these kinds of questions after having met a bunch of the gods and seen a bunch unbelievable shit. Though show-Shadow has seen more crazy stuff than book-Shadow has at this point in the narrative. His questioning and Wednesday's answer didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either with everything we've seen in the show up to this point.
    Elisapavlovsbell