308 - Slip

Director: Adam Bernstein
Writers: Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Slippin Jimmy back again.
    You know, Howard's kind of an unwashed asshole.
    TaraC73
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Was that the same grocery store where Walt was naked during his fuge state?
    gguenotMurderbear
    That switch off isn't going to go as smoothly the second time I bet.
  • fidoz Houston
    I'm calling bullshit on Villigan. You Know Mike would be using a grid system with his metal detecting. 
    TaraC73
  • fidoz Houston
    However, No one makes the mundane look cool as hell as the Villigan. See Nacho filling capsules. 
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Alkaid13 said:

I was nervous the pills were going to slip from his hand because they were sweaty
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah

Alkaid13 said:

I was nervous the pills were going to slip from his hand because they were sweaty
    Nah. It's pretty clear this is what's going to put hector in his breaking bad state. But Nacho isn't going to get away with it either.
    Doctor_Nick
    No Half Measures....
  • So it seems Jimmy wasn't robbing his parents blind. Just collecting the odd, rare coin. Seems like fairly standard kids stuff to me. And Chuck blows it way out of proportion. Unless there's still more to the story we haven't seen.

Speaking of Chuck, I know everyone's on the "Fuck Chuck" train, and I get it, but Michael McKean is doing such a damn fine job of playing Chuck that I love it every time he's on screen. Even if it's infuriating and hard to take at times. I thought he was especially good in this episode.
    Melia004KingKobra
  • Chiden2Chiden2 Los Angeles, CA
    edited June 6

I loved the moment when the drug dealer actually pays Jimmy $700, as juxtaposed with the music store twins stiffing Jimmy on the commercial. In my opinion, it's this moment that births the idea of Saul as we come to know him in Breaking Bad - the guy who is willing to work with criminals, who pay better and more reliably. 

JoshuaHeterDoubleA_RonDummyemnofseattleKingKobrakingbee67Stephen
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE

Was that the same grocery store where Walt was naked during his fuge state?

I wondered the same thing, but it's a different store. Missed opportunity?
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    This show is really losing me.  Maybe the Memorial Day break between 2 very slow episodes is skewing my opinion... but just a few episodes after the amazing courtroom climax between Jimmy and Chuck, I wouldn't really mind if the show got cancelled.

In the past, it seemed like they managed to be building up one plot-line while cracking the whip on another one.  Now... there no spectacle to any of it.  Even a conversation between Mike and Gus seems flat.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Nacho's big swap scene had me HELLA nervous.
    DaveyMacKingKobrahisdudeness915
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    The community service guy is dumb as hell.

This surely can't be the first time someone's threatened to sue him.

I'd be like "ok buddy, I'll tell the attorney generals office you want to make a claim, now get back to work"
  • I love how Bob Odenkirk explained the difference between Jimmy and Saul on the Insider Podcast: Jimmy manipulates knowingly but doesn't see the consequences; Saul knows exactly how his schemes can hurt people. Slippin' Jimmy is not quite at Saul level.
  • Ajas said:

This show is really losing me.  Maybe the Memorial Day break between 2 very slow episodes is skewing my opinion... but just a few episodes after the amazing courtroom climax between Jimmy and Chuck, I wouldn't really mind if the show got cancelled.

In the past, it seemed like they managed to be building up one plot-line while cracking the whip on another one.  Now... there no spectacle to any of it.  Even a conversation between Mike and Gus seems flat.
    That's an interesting point, it would seem more logical that they would pace the climax of some of these story lines to land between one another as to help bolster the momentum of the show. Unless the story lines are poised to come together in the finale in a satisfying way I am going to wonder why they didn't approach it that way.
  • @Chiden2 hit the nail on the head...we are seeing the birth of Saul the lawyer. That moment was a revelation to him. The fellow parolee kept his word and made immediate payout, no haggling needed.
    Chiden2
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Thought occurred to me during our cast: Kim is gonna need a little pick-me-up if she's going to double her workload.  Better call...Gus?  

Slippin' Jimmy meets Tweakin' Kimmie?
    CodyHarris821
    Natter Cast - Television Worth Talking About
    www.nattercast.com
  • Agree with Jim that the drug dealer Jimmy assists is lying about his kid. Bringing that sock roll to community service, he's late for his date with Nacho and Don Hector.
    Murderbear
  • What is the deal with the community service, can't you just leave when you have to and do the hours on another day? I didn't get why four hours of time would be worth 700$ for that guy.
  • toncica said:

What is the deal with the community service, can't you just leave when you have to and do the hours on another day? I didn't get why four hours of time would be worth 700$ for that guy.

The $700 was for him to be able to leave AND keep his hours. The CS guy was going to basically give him a "no show". Do you really want to lose those hours? It's shitty work and doing double would even be worse.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    toncica said:

What is the deal with the community service, can't you just leave when you have to and do the hours on another day? I didn't get why four hours of time would be worth 700$ for that guy.

The guy mentioned the Judge told him to complete his hours this week or he was in breach of his order. I dont know if that was a lie but I suspect it was correct. 
    KingKobra
  • edited June 8
    @davemcb
    You're right, I just watched the scene and payed more attention this time.

If there's a good reason to leave I think I would lose the hours instead of paying 700$. But that guy couldn't postpone his service without consequences.   
  • toncica said:

@davemcb

You're right, I just watched the scene and payed more attention this time.

If there's a good reason to leave I think I would lose the hours instead of paying 700$. But that guy couldn't postpone his service without consequences.   
    It all depends on how much you value your time ;) if $700 is nothing to you then it's well worth it ;)

• I clapped my hands like a seal and screamed "Slippin' Jimmy!" as soon as I saw him kick that drumstick on the ground.

I could be wrong, but I get the sense that Mike's role is going to be minimized a bit more in coming seasons.  He's already kind of established in the same position that he is when we see him in Breaking Bad, i.e. working for Gus, trying to hold onto his cash, Saul is kind of afraid of him, etc.  Finding that civilian's body almost wraps up his dealings with Hector, and all that remains is for him to get together "his guys" to get the laundry up and running.  While I could do with a good Gail cameo, I wouldn't mind much if Mike and Gus take a backseat to Jimmy's transformation into Saul next season.
    Garthgou81
  • I totally got the feel that the drug dealer guy was lying about his kid (who knows if he even has a kid) and that he was just trying to leave to go make a deal.  He practically makes it obvious when he is leaving and he immediately whips out his phone and makes it sound like he's getting ready to do something that is probably illegal.

Additionally, with the Kim and Jimmy scene, I really think that Kim knows that Jimmy is up to no good and is doing something shady to get this money.  So I thought the whole Jimmy saying "you believe me, right" was him trying to deny that he's being Slippin Jimmy and Kim just says yes to pacify him because she knows the truth.

The_Third_Man
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Bald Move billboards?  Shut up and take my money... Kickstart that shit!
    Murderbear
    Hello now, do dog!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I kinda feel dumb about the dealer thing now. Y'all have persuaded me the kid thing was a ruse.
    MurderbearCodyHarris821emnofseattleNatter Cast
  • I've been loving all the Nacho scenes but I don't think he survives this season.  I'm wondering if the Salamanca twins from Breaking Bad (Tuco's cousins) might be called up to deal with him?  
  • Quick thought on the Jimmy stealing from his parents.

We hear Chuck talk about Jimmy robbed his parents blind. The books never matched up. But we hear Jimmy talk about his parents being soft to any sob story. We actually see this in a flash back. I hink Jimmy is more or less innocent of robbing them blind. I think Jimmy took rare coins or a few bucks here or there, but not to the extent chuck thinks. Sounds like Chuck was much older. Jimmy may ave been 12 while Chuck was off in college or law school. Jimmy was home and sawthe problems. Chuck came home and saw the money misding from the business and blamed Jimmy. This caused Chuck to hate Jimmy who was probably doted on more than he was. He resented Jimmy and looked for any excuse to put him down. Here he is getting good grades and making something of himself, but Jimmy screws up and is "the favorite" in Chuck's mind.