A.ron's passionate defense of season 1 is exactly how Lost's finale supporters feel

2»

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited June 2017
    There's nothing fun or positive or informative in this discussion. I propose that the thread be closed and we resolve never to discuss Lost again.
    CretanBullMichelleWa1kingDistanceTaraC73OliviaD
  •  Stop watching. Not everything is for everyone.

All that needs to be said really.
    Wa1kingDistance
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Btw, I'm not mad and I don't take the line of questioning personally. I'm amazed we don't get it more often. It's the same as a shareholder asking tough questions to a board of directors. I just hope to be understood at the end of the day, agree or disagree.
    michielterlouwMichelleMichaelVCassidy
  • edited June 2017
    Well, dang, @PS. Some of that was really cruel and unnecessary. How judgmental to frame starting your own business as "flaming out" of a real job. I'm not just defending Jim & A. Ron - it wouldn't be cool if you came at any community member like that. Totally NOT cool. I'll just leave it at that.

As a member of the Bald Move family for many years, I am thankful that the community is better than this thread.

(No offense to you, Michael.)
    Deehisdudeness915Frakkin TKingKobraMichelleWa1kingDistanceMichaelVCassidy
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    If they re cast Lost with Justin Theroux as Jack Shepard and Carrie Coon as The Smoke Monster @A_Ron_Hubbard would totally love it, just sayin.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    LOST reboot 2019
  • I love Lost. Always have, always will. People hating it on these forums will never take away the best experience of watching tv for 6 years I've had in my life :D
    MichaelVCassidy
  • nstinson said:

I love Lost. Always have, always will. People hating it on these forums will never take away the best experience of watching tv for 6 years I've had in my life :D

Out of curiosity, did you love the Nikki and Paolo episode (The Exposé)? I remember that episode as one that I really enjoyed but it did get a lot of hate.
  • Not a normal commenter on the forum. The biting attacks some resorted to in this thread about a f*ing TV show that ended years ago I find very disappointing. As a general rule, you can't convince someone to like something they don't. You definitely can't do it by insulting them.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    nstinson said:

I love Lost. Always have, always will. People hating it on these forums will never take away the best experience of watching tv for 6 years I've had in my life :D

See, that's the thing. No one is trying to take away a Lost fan's enjoyment of the show. The non-fans are simply saying "Stop telling us we are wrong because we didn't enjoy it."
    KingKobraDummy
  • toncica said:

nstinson said:

Out of curiosity, did you love the Nikki and Paolo episode (The Exposé)? I remember that episode as one that I really enjoyed but it did get a lot of hate.
    Back in 2010, I met Naveen Andrews and the guy who played Paolo - I forget his name, but I remember that he was Brazilian (I met him during the World Cup - we mostly talked about soccer!).  We didn't talk about Lost much (he clearly wasn't interested in doing that) but when I did ask him about it, he told me that it was intended that he and Nikki would become a part of the regular cast but the fan reaction to their characters was so bad that the writers were forced to kill them off.  I won't spoil for those who haven't seen it yet, but the fact that their ending was particularly gruesome was supposed to be a 'reward' to the fans who hated them so much!
    toncica
  • @CretanBull
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing. I had no idea that the fans hated these characters already at that time. The episode stood out for me because it took a departure from the main characters and plot.  

"Paolo" is played by Rodrigo Santoro, he's in Westworld and kind of a fan favorite.
    CretanBull
  • toncica said:

@CretanBull

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. I had no idea that the fans hated these characters already at that time. The episode stood out for me because it took a departure from the main characters and plot.  

"Paolo" is played by Rodrigo Santoro, he's in Westworld and kind of a fan favorite.

Ah, right!  I didn't make the connection until now.

I met him and Naveed in a bar, but he was in town as a guest at a comic book convention (or something like that) because he'd been in the movie "300".  I'm not sure why Naveed was there, but I guess for the same convention.  At the bar, more people recognized Naveed so more people were surrounding him - I only got a "hi" and a handshake with him, but I probably spent at least a half hour talking to Rodrigo, again though - mostly about soccer and the World Cup.

• Re: the work ethic argument. Whenever people say something like this I always wonder if people pay attention to podcasting. Bald move puts out more content than the Bill Simmons podcast network (the watch, Simmons' own podcast, etc) or the Pod Save America crew. And either of those two crews have multiple different hosts, producers, webmasters, billing departments, etc.Bald Move is two guys who do all of that.
    Wa1kingDistance
  • PSPS Montreal, Canada
    edited June 2017
    I apologize for being personal, was a bit out of line. At the same time, the "can't make people like what they don't like" argument doesn't hold for me. Sure, that applies to us the regular folks, but not when it's your profession. We don't all just get to only do the favourite parts of our jobs. What if Game Of Thrones wasn't based on books and they thought that the show was going nowhere in Season 2? Would it have been ok for them to stop covering it? And what if it spawned or influenced a great number of shows down the line that Bald Move ends up covering? How much context, history, and zeitgeist would they be lacking? I really don't care if they like LOST or not - I just think that any professional tv critic I'm paying money to should have the full scope of LOST as part of their background knowledge to draw comparisons and references to (good or bad). Moreover, if they're going to criticize the show's ending or use it as a model for a show that's "making it up as it goes along", then I would like them to watch it through to its conclusion and then make those judgements on their own instead of adhering to (often faulty) understandings of reviewers. 

That being said, as A Ron said in the lunch yesterday, he's done talking about LOST and I think I'll give this topic a rest too. Truce. 
    MichaelVCassidy
  • You do realize you pay for their OPINION (good or bad) not for them to agree with you. They also don't have to cover or watch everything under the sun that has ever aired in TV or been a movie. If you think they cover things they only like, I'd like you to listen to dumpster fire casts for TWD. As far as your GoT example YES it would have been fine for them to stop covering it. They have done this in the past (Americans, HOC, OITNB, etc etc). You may not like their decisions, but thankfully there are other casts you can go to. I wouldn't force someone to sludge through something they hated, when not doing it hasn't affected them (job wise).
  • Wait, you think your 4 bucks a month entitles you to demand coverage of 121 hours of TV? Of a show that hasn't been on the air for 7 years?
    DeeKingKobra
  • ST.....!