Question for Twin Peaks fans

edited June 8 in Other TV
Caught up in the hype around this show's return, I finally got around to watching the original run for the first time, in hopes of catching up to the current series. While I have a lot of thoughts on the show, of course, right now I've got a more pertinent question. I'm on season 2, episode 11, and here's how I'm feeling: the story's lost some momentum, some of the side plots don't interest me, there's a lot of episodes in season 2 left, I'm getting a bit impatient, and, stylistically, it's never quite as interesting when Lynch isn't directing.  

Here's the question: If I skipped ahead to the movie and current season, revisiting the rest of season 2 later, will I be missing too much lore to properly enjoy it?  

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    You should definitely finish up the Season 2 first...but that doesn't mean you need to watch the rest of Season 2 if you are really hitting a road block. If you go and watch the last two episodes of Season 2, and then Fire Walk with Me, you should be good to go I think. You can figure out the rest via Wikipedia. I was in your same shoes with Season 2. It flounders around quite a bit, but David Lynch returned to the series for the end of Season 2 and managed to make a pretty amazing and horrifying finale that you absolutely need to watch. 
    Elisa
  • edited June 8
    Here's a guide some people like...

CretanBullElisaChiefPizza
  • MrXMrX CO
    @Garthgou81 is right on; just watch the season 2 finale and the "prequel" movie Fire Walk with Me. Lynch has actually said that the only real required viewing for the new season is Fire Walk with Me.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    KingKobra said:
    That's pretty spot on!
    KingKobra
  • edited June 8
    Thanks for all the good advice!

@KingKobra @CretanBull  That infographic is hilarious, because it's SO spot on, and somewhat distressing, because I'm fixating on the "Skipping episode is unwise" line.  That's ominous.

I think I've decided to slow my pace and go ahead and watch all of season 2.  It looks like the new season is pretty long, so I figure I'll try to get to it around August and blaze through the first twelve episodes then, if for no other reason than to limit the number of months I'll be paying for Showtime on Amazon, lol.
    KingKobraElisaChiefPizza
  • I stopped watching Season 2 around episode 7 or so. Now that the new season has started, I am going back and watching everything.

The fact (as the picture above mentions), that every episode adds to the mythos is what seals the deal for me to push past the crappier episodes (And admittedly I felt a dip in quality around the same time as the picture outlines above )

JC.
    Elisa
  • Out of curiosity, on a behind-the-scenes tangent, does anyone know which character Cooper was supposed to have a romance with before the actor nixed it?  I feel like Audrey would have been too obvious and uncomfortably inappropriate, so I'm guessing Norma?
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    ken hale said:

Out of curiosity, on a behind-the-scenes tangent, does anyone know which character Cooper was supposed to have a romance with before the actor nixed it?  I feel like Audrey would have been too obvious and uncomfortably inappropriate, so I'm guessing Norma?

Audrey - it was Sherilyn Fenn who let that out, apparently because of Laura Flynn Boyle's real-life jealousy (she was dating Kyle MacLachlan at the time). 
  • Makes sense.  I'm taking a break after 14 now.  The Major Briggs stuff is ok, the Little Nicky story (not Adam Sandler) is oddly growing on me, and Bobby/Shelly are, surprisingly, my favorite and also the only characters I really care about at the moment, lol.  I'll probably get through these quicker than I imagined.
    ElisaChiefPizza