US Politics Thread 2.0

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
Since the other thread was 33 pages long, and way more successful than I expected, as per Aron's suggestion here's round 2 of the US politics thread. Same rules apply as before, don't be an asshole, constructive criticism is appreciated though.
TaraC73

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    If I was a senator at the hearing I think my questions would be. Do you feel the president doesn't have a problem throwing people under the bus to keep the spot light off himself? If yes, then my follow up would why would he seem to want to protect Flynn?

Flynn had already been fired/ resigned. Why does the president have any loyalty to this guy, unless. It looks so bad.
  • MrXMrX CO
    He doesn't get a lot of attention these days, but has there been a larger/sadder fall from grace in recent memory than John McCain? He was just way over his head in his questioning of Comey - he seems equal parts confused and a partisan hack.
    StacyeJblueberry5000
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    What did McCain say? I'm in a diner in Houma, LA getting shameful on some insane bread pudding and I'm not able to watch the hearing. But McCain is getting straight up MURDERED on Twitter right now.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited June 8
    I love/hate McCain. Some times I see sound bites where he nails it and it usually is hilarious. Other times I see him as a hack. He is best I think where he marches to his own drum.

I  think one of the best things I heard after the testimony. Someone was saying that of all the usurpers interactions with Comey, never did he ask about Russia's interference in the election. he was only concerned if he was suspect or not. 

I think I for one want to see Trump on a skewer more than I want to deal with the holes in our system where Russians and others can hack our shit. That's not good.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I have a great deal of respect for Senator McCain.  The political what if of my lifetime is what if McCain had defeated Bush in the 2000 primary?  That said, his questioning... woof.
    MrXStacyeJceburaska
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 8
    A_Ron_Hubbard said: Profoundly disagree. So long as no one violates the house rules, I think it's great.

haha @A_Ron_Hubbard , I was just referring to the old thread's impact on the health of BM's servers!
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati
    The McCain questions were rough. He mixed up Comey and Trump a few times which just added confusion to his already confusing questions.

It sounded like he thinks since Clinton is no longer under investigation for her email server, then the Russian connections to Trump/our election shouldn't be under investigation? He sounded lost.
    TravisStacyeJ
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I have mixed feelings about McCain. I was very impressed with how he stood up FOR Obama at a rally when that lady tried to say he was an Arab, but there are other times when he shows himself to be no better than the worst party stooge. And choosing Sarah Palin was an epic failure in judgment. 
    bizmarkiefaderTravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 8

The McCain questions were rough. He mixed up Comey and Trump a few times which just added confusion to his already confusing questions.

It sounded like he thinks since Clinton is no longer under investigation for her email server, then the Russian connections to Trump/our election shouldn't be under investigation? He sounded lost.

Yeah, I just watched his portion of the questioning and it was honestly a little hard to watch. It honestly made me wonder if something was wrong with him medically. He's always seemed like a really sharp guy and he seemed completely lost on what is a pretty simple concept. I also have a lot of respect for him (most of the time, in agreement with @frakkin T), but that was really out of nowhere. Like I said, pretty hard to watch.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

Sure dude
    Travis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I was screaming at the radio like a lunatic... he meant no charges will be filed as far as the email case goes; case is still open on the Russia thing. WTF are you not getting, McCain!?
    My fav from Twitter today -

Frakkin TTravisjtmy92TaraC73
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    TaraC73 said:

I was screaming at the radio like a lunatic... he meant no charges will be filed as far as the email case goes; case is still open on the Russia thing. WTF are you not getting, McCain!?

This investigation started over a year ago. By this point in watergate people had been indicted. So either this whole idea is a crock of shit or Comey is incompetent. So what does he think about prosecuting? It's certainly something Comey should answer
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    comey answered everything asked of him. What do you mean "what does he think about prosecuting"?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Considering that Bob Mueller is in fact in charge of the investigation and not Comey I don't know why he should be prosecuting anyone. He's literally just a witness now and acted as such. Besides I don't know if you can even bring up legal charges against a siting president without impeaching him first which is an entirely political process not a legal one.
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    I was extremely impressed by Comey today. I watched his testimony, and I think he came across as very precise, and very truthful.
    And while I disagree with McCain on a lot of (ok, most) issues, I've always had a lot of respect for him as a person, and for his service to our country during the war. But I saw a tweet today that perfectly described his performance today - he was the live version of every "But ... Hillary's emails" meme out there. I was genuinely concerned for his health for a bit, and was glad to see his letter stating that he's ok.
    trippyTravisjtmy92
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

I don't say this as a joke, or to make light of it or anything at all like that, but it's possible that McCain is suffering from an age-related cognitive or memory illness of some sort (or simply "getting old").  Given what's at stake, I get why people are calling him out but they might want to temper their language and anger - if they tear into him and it turns out he's dealing with something, they're going to feel like a jackass for roasting someone who deserves the respect of being treated like a hero.

Frakkin TA_Ron_HubbardTravisVasilnate1

...they're going to feel like a jackass for roasting someone who deserves the respect of being treated like a hero.

or maybe they will feel presidential for roasting a hero ;)
    CretanBullTravisakritenbrink
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I don't say this as a joke, or to make light of it or anything at all like that, but it's possible that McCain is suffering from an age-related cognitive or memory illness of some sort (or simply "getting old").  Given what's at stake, I get why people are calling him out but they might want to temper their language and anger - if they tear into him and it turns out he's dealing with something, they're going to feel like a jackass for roasting someone who deserves the respect of being treated like a hero.

But by the same token, if that's true then he should not have any kind of investigative or decision making powers in government.
    CretanBullFrakkin TA_Ron_HubbardakritenbrinkVasilnate1
    Dee said:

But by the same token, if that's true then he should not have any kind of investigative or decision making powers in government.
    I agree
    Frakkin TDeeakritenbrink
    Reminds me of Peter Cook's bit comparing being a miner with being a judge: "The thing about being a miner is that until you're too old and slow and sick and stupid to do the job, you have to go. Well, the very opposite applies with judging."
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    @CretanBull - I also was thinking it was some illness, or an age-related cognitive issue. I honestly hope not. I watched my Grandma suffer with age-related cognitive issues, and it is the most horrible, unfair thing ever. I hope for his sake, and his family's sake that's not the case. :(
    Travis

@CretanBull - I also was thinking it was some illness, or an age-related cognitive issue. I honestly hope not. I watched my Grandma suffer with age-related cognitive issues, and it is the most horrible, unfair thing ever. I hope for his sake, and his family's sake that's not the case. :(

My aunt had Alzheimer's and it was terrible to witness...her husband became a stranger, she only recognized one of her three kids - just awful. 

Politically we saw it play out with Reagan.  People called BS when they thought that "I don't remember" and "I can't recall" were typical political excuses, but it turns out he was probably telling the truth.

• Frakkin T said:

...they're going to feel like a jackass for roasting someone who deserves the respect of being treated like a hero.

or maybe they will feel presidential for roasting a hero ;)
    Zing!
    Frakkin T
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Dee said:

Yes. And he has the choice whether to keep running for senator time after time. You'd think some of these guys would want to retire and enjoy at least a couple years of their lives. 

Generally I think McCain is a respectable politician who has sometimes spoken out and sometimes toed the party line. I do think he or his campaign should have seen sense and not unleashed Sarah Palin on the world. But considering there are so many politicians who never speak their minds at all, you can't fault him for only doing it sometimes, IMO. If you think about all the time all of us spend biting our tongues because of our jobs or our positions in other social groups like volunteering, friendship groups, faith communities, etc to "pick our battles" etc, and you think about the power a Senator has, it makes sense that he would sometimes choose his battles.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    I'm pretty sure he just returned to the US from a marathon international tour trying to be a wet blanket on Trumps foreign policy dumpster fire, which explains a lot, in my opinion.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Not related to any political issues, but I was hanging out at the Airport (Bremerton National) near my house watching the little planes take off and land, so a Cessna taxis up to the flight line access gate near the viewing area and three men get out of the plane. as they walk by one of the men looks at me and says "oh hi" and walks through the gate about four feet from where I'm standing. 

And I'm thinking to myself "that man looks familiar" and so I look at the plane and I'm thinking "Cessna 5DK, Cessna 5DK why is that familiar" then it clicks, Cessna 5DK is a WA state patrol plane and the man looked like Governor Jay Inslee! so the Governor of my state walked by me by four feet while I was at the Airport by complete happenstance doing nothing in particular. 

how is that for a small world? 
    MrX
    McCain was cool until he turned into McBush policy-wise when he ran again. That was disappointing. And Bush is way cooler now that he paints portraits of terriers and is far far removed from policy. I always told my Trumplectual colleagues I was a Kasich guy. You know, the guy Trump Jr called and begged for him to take the 'VP in name only' position and essentially be the President while Trump handled #MAGA, and apparently weekly golfing vacations. I can't understand how so many conservatives got duped so bigly.

I kept saying Kasich but like moths to a flame people went full stupid like a Jerry Springer audience. Can't imagine how wonderful that tea tastes that Kasich sips right now. Probably responded to Trump Jr's pitch with not only No but Fuck No.

(& I say Kasich but I was with her. Even voted in the primary for her over Obama way back when. TX is a right to work state, and the US is one of the lesser free 'free countries.')

The sad "What If?" is this whole shit show would've been avoided if not for one Beau Biden brain tumor which broke his father's heart and will.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    trippy said:

I'm a liberal independent and the last person you'd see defend Daffy Donald, but I also know that this is kinda ill informed. The president talking to diplomats is not the same as a contractor leaking info to the press, legally speaking. That said, there are real world consequences to what Trump did, which few people seem to understand. Also, due to my liberal bias, I would like to see more leaks that undermine the current administration, as long as they don't compromise good people in the field and safety at home and abroad.
This discussion has been closed.