605 - "Alive Day"

Director: Peter Werner
Writer: Benjamin Cavell & Jennifer Kennedy

Comments

• @Jim @A_Ron_Hubbard, if you havent done already, Can you give your episode number prediction on when Dewey's necklace will make a return on the EP 6 cast?

They have so many things going I'm not sure I know when it may come into play. I really hope it plays out good.

Im writing this before EP6 so if it happens tonight ill be taking my TAZ moves out on strangers tomorrow
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh boy. Choo Choo in a main plot. This is going dark places.
    He ain't working for me. He's just, working for me. Line of the week candidate.
    Art! "First of all, watch it with the Golden years shit."
    Jesus, are mines really this fucking dangerous? Lord.
    I'm loving this. It's feeling like we're in the home stretch and we're not even half way through. Justified and Banshee are the most fun I'm having on television right now.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Aw man, I thought it was a given that Choo Choo would be taken out by a train and I was looking forward to seeing how they would plausibly accomplish that, and they completely subverted it in the darkest, saddest possible way.  RIP Choo Choo.

Is it just me, or does the show look different this season?  Slightly more stylized with some scenes, like the teaser, looking like a graphic novel, and last episode had some lovely compositions and wide shots.  It might just be my imagination or I never noticed before.
    "'Wonderful things can happen,' Vincent said, 'when you plant seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes.'"

Elmore Leonard, Glitz

Raylan did say that he read it somewhere.
  • Aw man, I thought it was a given that Choo Choo would be taken out by a train and I was looking forward to seeing how they would plausibly accomplish that, and they completely subverted it in the darkest, saddest possible way.  RIP Choo Choo.

Is it just me, or does the show look different this season?  Slightly more stylized with some scenes, like the teaser, looking like a graphic novel, and last episode had some lovely compositions and wide shots.  It might just be my imagination or I never noticed before.
    I agree. The whole opening scene they kept framing Raylan in artistic ways with his hat fully in view and sometimes blocking his face.
  • This season is incredible - it's just one unbroken epic umpteen hour caper movie, with quadruple crosses right and left. If they can stick the landing, I think this should rank as one of the all time TV achievements.

It's also an MFing acting clinic, from Choo Choo's conversation in the car to the Raylan Boyd Ava showdown to Jere Burns. The best though was just the expressions in Avery and Hale's eyes in that hug. I got chills.
    ?
  • Choo-Choo! NOOOOOO!!!!! Of course it had to happen, but that dude was great. I love that they gave him that really nice moment, and I'm also really glad that they kind of ruined it by having him still duct tape her to a tree (in the sense that, of course he would still do that and not totally lose sight of his orders even if he was going to attempt to question them). It all just felt right and they really could have mucked that up. If Ty had rolled up and they were just casually sitting on a park bench or something it would have been kind of bullshit.

This season is incredible - it's just one unbroken epic umpteen hour caper movie, with quadruple crosses right and left. If they can stick the landing, I think this should rank as one of the all time TV achievements.

It's also an MFing acting clinic, from Choo Choo's conversation in the car to the Raylan Boyd Ava showdown to Jere Burns. The best though was just the expressions in Avery and Hale's eyes in that hug. I got chills.
    ?

I totally agree with all of that, and you said it better than I would have.

"'Wonderful things can happen,' Vincent said, 'when you plant seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes.'"

Elmore Leonard, Glitz

Raylan did say that he read it somewhere.
    That's my quote of the week. That extra layer about it coming from a Leonard book and Raylan saying he read it somewhere just makes it that much better. Thanks for pointing it out. That's super cool.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015

I love the Oxfam technique of supporting Baldmove. My one question, how do fan rewards translate on an alpaca scale? How many alpacas add up to a commissioned podcast?

Seriously guys, that bit was fantastic. I instantly rewound and listened again. It totally cracked me up. I loved how matter of fact the "they're quite spacious" was. Perfectly delivered.

Also, for the line of the series is Raylan's (thanks to @jpthet 's signature for reminding me of it) "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

• Line of the series: No Raylan, I'm gonna bet my life on you being the only friend I got left in this world.
  • I think the the informant was Wynn Duffy.
    Best line of the series was when Raylan dropped a bullet on Wynn Duffy and says" next one is coming at you faster".
  • I don't remember the exact quote, but I like a line Boyd said to Raylan once: "Raylan, if books were judged by their cover, you'd be a bestseller." LOL. So true.
    Alpaca are highly fungible assets. Depending on global trade conditions a commissioned podcast could run anywhere from one quarter to one and a half Alpaca.

"Next one's coming faster" has got to be the greatest line in the series. Man, that was a helluva moment.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    The more it's discussed the more I feel like a complete series re-watch is in order. The writing on this show is so damned good and so chalked full of great lines.  For now, IMO I stand by the "assholes" line. Mostly because I just appreciate the fact that he's both being a bad ass and dropping some quality wisdom simultaneously, while also being snarky. It just worked perfectly for me. It's just so "Justified," but I certainly can't be mad at the "next one's coming faster" selection. I forgot about that one. It was really goddamned awesome. Especially when you factor in the call-back to it when he is being interviewed by the cops which was also a great scene.
  • I propose:
    1. The Bad Grahamajammas
    2. The Yost Infection.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Fyi (hope not already said) 

1) Ty walker was the the first sergeant of the Company (called TOP) as they are the highest Non-commissioned officer in the company  ---  
    2) other guy was a sergeant beneath him
    3) They definitely implied that CHOO - Choo was a Captain --- who is the Officer in charge of the Company -- Outranking everyone else and whose right hand man is the first sergeant (Ty walker)
    Travis
  • Do people think Boyd would legit kill Ava when he finds out she's informing on him? I'm curious, I didn't really think so at first, but then again I'm thinking he doesn't handle betrayal too well.
    And another note: On the most recent podcast they were talking about why Ava was in prison, and having watched the 5th season relatively recently, I remeber that she was being released for murder because Boyd tarnished the reputation and killed the one person who's testimony was keeping her in prison. And then I believe she was going to be released and the guard stabbed himself and said she did it, which led to her being transferred to an even worse prison. I'm pretty sure that's what happened anyway. Although, since he was lying I'm not sure what leverage the marshals have on her.
    Travis
  • @Emily It's really tough to say. I'm inclined to believe that he couldn't do it, but given that level of betrayal... I don't really know. I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I don't really see it though. Maybe I'm just a little naïve, but I just don't see Boyd being able to pull the trigger on Ava. Devil is one thing, but this is Ava (though I'm sure it would compound his injury to find that Ava was helping to build a case against him). Man, I just don't know.

I was thinking about your second point though, and it's true. I honestly don't know what they have on her anymore. Did she ever go to trial on killing the dirty pimp? Her getting technically convicted doesn't ring a bell (unless it happened off camera), but they always had her in a sort of purgatory and then the guard happened. If he came clean and the case fell apart (I remember the lawyer seeming like he was going to win it) I don't know what they have her on now. Great point. I never really thought about it.

Emily
  • Some thoughts after the Alive Day Podcast:

1) There is no rat: my prediction - AUSA Vasquez has a hard on for Katherine Hale, who he thinks killed his old boss, and Vasquez was the one who prosecuted her husband. Vasquez seeded the CI rumor more than a decade ago, and he will drop some kind of hint to Raylan when it finally brings Hale and Markham down.

1a) One question - why is Art curious about the source?

2) Managing Raylan: It would be full on hilarious if Rachel has another meeting with Art and learns that the only way to slow Raylan down is to beat the hell out of him about once a season.

3) Ava: I don't know if Rachel actually could send Ava back to jail. Last season, Wildman the lawyer told Ava that the state court judge was dropping the charges - apparently, with Lee Paxton and Mooney dead, they weren't confident that they had enough evidence. Rachel (and presumably Vasquez) know for a fact that Ava is innocent of stabbing Ficus, so I think they have an ethical duty to reveal that if it comes down to it. Unless they got Ava to confess to some of her other crimes as part of the CI deal, or unless they think they could refile the murder charge, my guess is that their threat against Ava is some Federal-grade BS.

4) Speaking of Ava, I keep forgetting that she's a criminal. Boyd, Duffy, Winona and the rest are sympathetic criminals, but you never forget what they are, but Ava has killed two people, ran a whorehouse, and was very comfortable leading a life of crime. It's very dangerous to trust a femme fatale in a Leonard book . . .
    Jovial_Falcon
  • Not Winona - Loretta!
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

Some thoughts after the Alive Day Podcast:

1) There is no rat: my prediction - AUSA Vasquez has a hard on for Katherine Hale, who he thinks killed his old boss, and Vasquez was the one who prosecuted her husband. Vasquez seeded the CI rumor more than a decade ago, and he will drop some kind of hint to Raylan when it finally brings Hale and Markham down.

1a) One question - why is Art curious about the source?

2) Managing Raylan: It would be full on hilarious if Rachel has another meeting with Art and learns that the only way to slow Raylan down is to beat the hell out of him about once a season.

3) Ava: I don't know if Rachel actually could send Ava back to jail. Last season, Wildman the lawyer told Ava that the state court judge was dropping the charges - apparently, with Lee Paxton and Mooney dead, they weren't confident that they had enough evidence. Rachel (and presumably Vasquez) know for a fact that Ava is innocent of stabbing Ficus, so I think they have an ethical duty to reveal that if it comes down to it. Unless they got Ava to confess to some of her other crimes as part of the CI deal, or unless they think they could refile the murder charge, my guess is that their threat against Ava is some Federal-grade BS.

4) Speaking of Ava, I keep forgetting that she's a criminal. Boyd, Duffy, Winona and the rest are sympathetic criminals, but you never forget what they are, but Ava has killed two people, ran a whorehouse, and was very comfortable leading a life of crime. It's very dangerous to trust a femme fatale in a Leonard book . . .

Need a refresher, who is it that Ava has killed?
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015
    It was her husband (Bowman Crowder) and Delroy, the abusive pimp dude (the guy who was having his prostitutes rob the Oxycotton "clinics") and beat Ellie May up really badly. (aka Ethan from Lost)
    Original_Joseph
    edited March 2015
    Isn't Ava terrified of jail because her life was threatened in there?  My memory of S5 is hazy.  They can send her back there with charges pending, and she could be there for a few days until they formally press charges.

Or are they threatening to charge her as an accomplice in the RICO case?

I don't know.  This is what Yost had to say in the Postmortem:

A question popped up in the comments section of last week's postmortem: Some fans are wondering if the Marshals are lying to Ava when they threaten her with a return to jail. If Albert Fekus recanted his story, they should have nothing to hold over her. But Albert didn't really come clean?
    Albert didn't just come clean. I mean, the reality was that they got him to recant knowing that it was bulls--t, but they forced his hand. They're not dangling bulls--t over Ava: They could be mean about it and just send her back to prison on the original charge, and the idea is that you can do a whole thing with charges pending. So you can leave someone in a certain amount of limbo, which is what they're doing, and that's where they're being a--holes.

Travis
  • Thanks, pavlovsbell. Ava definitely wasn't convicted of killing Delroy, so if the feds throw her back in prison, it's for a crime that they know she is innocent of, which is pretty hardcore.

(Unless they think Fekus is lieing now, I guess)
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @Travis

Thanks for the refresher (I discounted her husband in the pilot as she's not worried about being charged).

Forgot about the pimp, need to rewatch that.
    Travis
  • @Travis (sorry, I'm new to this, don't know how to reply)
    Well, after this weeks episode I guess we know he won't kill right away at least. I think he kept the gun unloaded to test her, so we'll see.
    And, someone posted an excerpt from Graham Yost's postmortem that I guess explains the whole Ava/Marshals/Fekus prison thing.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015
    Emily said:

@Travis (sorry, I'm new to this, don't know how to reply)
    Well, after this weeks episode I guess we know he won't kill right away at least. I think he kept the gun unloaded to test her, so we'll see.
    And, someone posted an excerpt from Graham Yost's postmortem that I guess explains the whole Ava/Marshals/Fekus prison thing.

Yeah. That scene was really awesome. I'm more inclined to see the possibility of it now, but I still don't think it will happen. I don't think they trust each other completely yet, but I came away from that (even though I know that the way they played the scene they could really justifiably bend the characters' intentions any way they really see fit) that they both want to be back in with each other, and now everything is out in the open. I now see a more likely scenario where Boyd ends up getting Ava killed without wanting to and that taking him off the rails (which is kind of what I thought would happen when the season started), or her surviving. If she were to have been playing him in that conversation though and either tried to run again or continue to betray him with the marshals...

Ultimately, I just can't wait for next week.

Thanks for the heads up on the Yost postmortem. I don't read them typically, but if there are giving an answer to that I'll have to give it a look.