Speaking of Books.

AjasAjas Seattle, WA
edited June 9 in General
On this weeks Lunch with Jim and A.Ron, the question was posed about life-changing books.  (To non-club members, every Friday they do a Q&A session during lunch where they answer whatever question you ask!  You should join!)

I wanted to throw in on the subject.  "Youth" by Joseph Conrad.  It's just a 45 page autobiographical short story of Conrad's first voyage as 2nd mate at age 20 back in the late 1800s, hauling some coal from London to Bankok, encountering a barrage of problems at sea.

After a career in software, mostly programming video games, and so commonly entrusted with impossible tasks... It struck very close to my heart.  I think it is worth a read for anyone setting off on a project with teammates.

It's worth noting that the same narrator of this story-- Marlow-- is the one who later goes on to tell "Heart of Darkness", also autobiographical, but admitting a bit more fiction than Youth, which by Conrad's accounting is a factual telling.

Comments

• This thread (I haven't listened to the lunch yet) makes me think of Nick Offerman's "Paddle Your Own Canoe." I kind of wish someone had handed that book to me when I was 17 or 18 (though they would need a time machine to do so as it was written just a couple of years ago). I think it would have really left a mark. That said, I guess I don't really have any good books that qualify. My mom gave me a Thich Naht Hanh book (probably "Being Peace") at a really, really low point for me in my early 20s and there was some helpful stuff in it for me (I still enjoy doing the dishes to this day, thinking about that particular passage). Nothing really landmark that I can point to though. It's a great reminder that I need to pick up that Offerman book for my nephew though.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I recommend The Alechemist. It's short, fiction form but packs a real punch in terms of philosophical concepts, ideas, insightfulness and knowledge.
    No Half Measures....