American Gods 107 - A Prayer For Mad Sweeney (No Book Spoilers)

DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
edited June 12 in Other TV
Dir. Adam Kane
Writ. Maria Melnik

"I was a King once. Then they made me a bird. Then Mother Church came along and turned us all into saints and trolls and fairies. General Mills did the rest."
pavlovsbellKingKobra

Comments

• I loved this episode and really enjoyed getting an extended "Coming to America" segment. I also thought it was a great how they had Emily Browning playing Essie in addition to Laura. It was cool way to develop their relationship more and show a different side or both of them. I found the scene with Mad Sweeney and Essie at the end of her life quite moving as well.

The only thing I was bummed about was them dismissing Salim-Not-Salim. I think he's great. I get why the writers dismissed him from a Laura/Mad Sweeney relationship development perspective, but I'm not sure why they did from a plot perspective.

Based on the rabbits in the road (Did Mad Sweeney throw the gold out for them?), I'm guessing we'll be seeing Eostre next week. Can't wait!

Also, just want to say, it was a joy to see Fionnula Flanagan show up, first as Essie's grandmother and then as Essie later in the episode. I always love it when she pops up in stuff. 
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited June 13
    Much love for this episode, but I've been a fanboy from about ep3.
    I like the House On The Rock reference. I went there a couple of times while visiting the grandparents when I was a kid.

ElisapavlovsbellDaveyMac
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Not sure I was feelin' this episode. Seemed like a lot of plot just for the 5 second reveal that Mad's likely caused the initial accident with Laura, presumably so Wednesday could get his hooks into Shadow.

I think my least favorite one so far, but that still puts it at a 7/10 where the others are 8-10/10, awesome show!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    redlancer said:

Not sure I was feelin' this episode. Seemed like a lot of plot just for the 5 second reveal that Mad's likely caused the initial accident with Laura, presumably so Wednesday could get his hooks into Shadow.

I think my least favorite one so far, but that still puts it at a 7/10 where the others are 8-10/10, awesome show!

End Quote

I think it was meant to show us how Mad Sweeney came to america and how Laura and Sweeney are kindred spirits much like Elsie and Sweeney.
  • Emily Browning and Pablo Schreiber are killing it this season. The two episodes that didn't have Ian McShane might be my favorites of the season, and not because they've fucked up Mr. Wednesday's portrayal - he's been fantastic - just that they've done such a good job expanding on Laura and Sweeney as characters, and it was a really cool choice to weave Essie's "coming to America" story into the plot and have Browning play that character.
    ElisapavlovsbellDaveyMacKingKobra
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 12
    I really enjoyed this one. I assumed the title was a play on the John Irving novel, "A Prayer for Owen Meany," but I did not expect it to pay such a deep homage. In Owen Meany, the protagonist John narrates his past and present while also telling the story of his friend, Owen, who believes that he is an instrument of God and is must fulfill his prophesied fate, while John transforms from a non-believer to a believer. It explores themes of friendship, war, and faith, and is constructed with interwoven timelines. What a lovely episode. As much as I love Ian McShane, I'm interested more in these two and Salim.

I was expecting more of Sweeney's story, but the Coming to America stories seem to be more about the immigrants who bring their gods with them, and Sweeney was always on the fringes of Essie's life. Nevertheless, I would like to know more about him both prior to his arrival in America and after, but perhaps the point is the frustration of humans striving to know the divine. I am intrigued by Sweeney and Laura’s fates being intertwined.

So was Sweeney bringing Essie luck when she remembered to "pray" to him, and then abandoned her when she forgot about him, or was he so dependent on her faith that he fell into bad luck himself when she slacked off?

Despite Sweeney causing Laura's accident, I feel for him. This episode did a lot to humanize Sweeney and Laura, but I am most drawn to Sweeney, who is fighting his darker impulses and making the harder choice. Salim is still my cinnamon bun, too good, too pure for this world, and Laura is compelling almost by virtue of refusing to play the dead wife trope (although she is even more than that), but I think I’m rooting most for Sweeney. And Pablo Schreiber is crushing what could be a one note role.

@DaveyMac I was also happy to see Fionnula Flanagan, and it got me even more excited for Jeremy Davies. They are inextricably connected in my mind because of their tragic relationship on Lost.
    MrXElisaDaveyMac
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • I really enjoyed this one. I assumed the title was a play on the John Irving novel, "A Prayer for Owen Meany," but I did not expect it to pay such a deep homage. In Owen Meany, the protagonist John narrates his past and present while also telling the story of his friend, Owen, who believes that he is an instrument of God and is must fulfill his prophesied fate, while John transforms from a non-believer to a believer. It explores themes of friendship, war, and faith, and is constructed with interwoven timelines. What a lovely episode. As much as I love Ian McShane, I'm interested more in these two and Salim.

I was expecting more of Sweeney's story, but the Coming to America stories seem to be more about the immigrants who bring their gods with them, and Sweeney was always on the fringes of Essie's life. Nevertheless, I would like to know more about him both prior to his arrival in America and after, but perhaps the point is the frustration of humans striving to know the divine. I am intrigued by Sweeney and Laura’s fates being intertwined.

So was Sweeney bringing Essie luck when she remembered to "pray" to him, and then abandoned her when she forgot about him, or was he so dependent on her faith that he fell into bad luck himself when she slacked off?

Despite Sweeney causing Laura's accident, I feel for him. This episode did a lot to humanize Sweeney and Laura, but I am most drawn to Sweeney, who is fighting his darker impulses and making the harder choice. Salim is still my cinnamon bun, too good, too pure for this world, and Laura is compelling almost by virtue of refusing to play the dead wife trope (although she is even more than that), but I think I’m rooting most for Sweeney. And Pablo Schreiber is crushing what could be a one note role.

@DaveyMac I was also happy to see Fionnula Flanagan, and it got me even more excited for Jeremy Davies. They are inextricably connected in my mind because of their tragic relationship on Lost.
    Yes loved seeing her show up!

Are you watching the new Twin Peaks season? Davies had a small cameo this week as well .. more of a Dickie Bennet character than Daniel Faraday. I think he has more of a significant role in American Gods, looking forward to it.

pavlovsbellElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @MrX   Yes! I was so excited (but also a little distracted) to see him in Twin Peaks. I'm not sure how I feel about the star cameos in Twin Peaks. They are distracting, but OTOH, I also feel that it's David Lynch, and I'm so happy that Twin Peaks is a thing on my television so David Lynch can do whatever the hell he wants.
    Elisa
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • @MrX   Yes! I was so excited (but also a little distracted) to see him in Twin Peaks. I'm not sure how I feel about the star cameos in Twin Peaks. They are distracting, but OTOH, I also feel that it's David Lynch, and I'm so happy that Twin Peaks is a thing on my television so David Lynch can do whatever the hell he wants.

Totally I'm giving Lynch a lot of leeway (how many more episodes of Dougie-Cooper can we really take, haha) just because fuck it Twin Peaks is on tv in 2017 and it's weird and funny and disturbing. I need to start a thread for the new episode ... 
    Elisa
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited June 14
    @pavlovsbell I somehow missed that Jeremy Davies had been cast in this show. That makes me so happy and I can't to see him show up now. I think he'll be a great fit for the show. 

Also, I kind of agree with you on the celebrity cameos on Twin Peaks so far, him included. They are people I really like, but I do find it a bit distracting. But I'm rolling with it. 

And thanks for the John Irving insight. That reference totally passed me by.
    pavlovsbell
  • As with most of the others, I really enjoyed this episode. The "Coming to America" may be one of the best parts of the show thus far.

@pavlovsbell i think it's a little of both with Seeeney. She was rewarded for her faith and punished for her abandonment, but also the "good luck" wasn't always good. For every piece of good luck there was a "catch", so a bit of good and a fair bit of bad as well. If anything it seems Sweeney may be getting a wee bit tired of roaming the earth after hundreds of years. he could have walked away, but it seems he feels he has a debt to pay (not to mention that it falls in line with only getting to keep the coin if freely given).

pavlovsbell
  • Seemed weird that an episode with no Ian McShane would be so good, but then I remembered there was also no Shadow Moon. :)

Who's excited to see his reaction to the fact that Wednesday was manipulating him all along? Ya, me neither.
    Elisa