E3 talk?

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited June 12 in Gaming
So, after the first day of pressers, anything stand out? I'm a huge PS4 fan but I have to say, some of that Xbox One X stuff looked pretty good! Not going to be buying the console or anything because I don't have a 4K TV but it's great to see games pushing the limits. Especially Anthem. It looks awesome!

But The Last Night definitely took the cake for me yesterday. Drop dead gorgeous and looks like the perfect game for me. I saw a little bit of stuff about the guy's past and hopefully he's not as big of a dirtball that people are making him out to be cause I really want to like that game.

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Xbox one x is a dumb name and Wolfenstein 2 looks awesome and weird in a way I didn't see coming at all. That's pretty much all I've gotten out of it so far. Anthem looks like it might be amazing but I don't want to get my hopes up too much until we know more.

MurderbearJovial_Falconalexander.klassen
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Microsoft continues the silly naming trend I see. I hope they call the next version XXXbox.
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @bizmarkiefader Yeah, that Wolfenstein game looks great! The first one was such a surprise! I absolutely loved it.

And I agree, it's a pretty stupid name. I really think they should just stuck with Scorpio.
    @Murderbear I need to play the first one, it didn't grab me and I ended up not coming back and finishing it but I think with this game coming it looks a lot more appealing right now.

They should have just called it the Xbox. We can refer to it as this years Xbox or last years Xbox or whatever, that's still less confusing than Xbox one X vs Xbox one S. The line is already so blurred with them bringing all their first party games to PC now it feels like they'd be better off leaning into branding the ecosystem and selling these pieces of hardware as a way to get into it rather than pushing them as a confusing generational half step.
    Sony's reaction to backwards compatibility "Lol who wants to play old games when there's new stuff" continues to infuriate me enough not to buy a PS4 but I'll probably invest in a PS3 sometime. I guess it makes business sense which is fine but their comments on it are really too heavy handed sometimes. Just say it costs too much and we'd rather people use the PS network and move on.
    Xbox One was a rather silly naming choice to begin with, it's not the first Xbox nor is it the last or definteive version, Sony's numbering system isn't very creative but at least it makes sense and is easy to keep track of. Nintendo consoles always have somewhat silly names but they're infinitely more marketable than Xbox one X.
    FF XV fishing game sounds like such a ridiculous cash grab. Shadows of the Colossus remake looks really good though.
    The thing about backwards compatibility they miss in that data is that even though people aren't playing those older games a very large percentage of the time, those games are super important to a lot of people and the small amount of time they do spend with them is a lot more valuable than it looks on the spreadsheet. 
    Alkaid13
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Murderbear
    No Half Measures....
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hatorian said:
    Its so weird, on another forum that I frequent, they expressed being so tired of the zombie thing and in general annoyed with this game...I think it looks absolutely fantastic. I am tired of the zombie trend, but not enough to make me turn down a game that seems this amazing. 
    Hatorian
    It looks very unique and the gameplay where you are trying to avoid 200 zombies using all sorts of different methods looks insanely fun. I haven't really played much zombie games over the past couple of years so definitely don't have any fatigue there though. Last of Us was probably the last zombie game I put in over 20 hours into.

I downloaded Killing Floor 2 for free with PS plus but only played a few rounds so far. just seems like COD zombies. Wave system which is pretty played out.

No Half Measures....
  • I just hope From Software announces something.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky

Hatorian said:
    Its so weird, on another forum that I frequent, they expressed being so tired of the zombie thing and in general annoyed with this game...I think it looks absolutely fantastic. I am tired of the zombie trend, but not enough to make me turn down a game that seems this amazing. 
    I'm getting pretty tired of the whole genre too, to be honest. HOWEVER, that game looks awesome!

Well now it makes sense why Nintendo cracked down on AM2R, turns out they were making their own remake of Metroid 2.
  • Was just wanting The Last of Us 2
    Dummy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    gguenot said:

Was just wanting The Last of Us 2

It is on its way! They just didn't have anything to show yet apparently.
  • Mario Odyssey continues to look more and more amazing. I was really hoping for a Smash announcement, but I suppose I'll have to wait a few years before I can play Smash on the switch.

Spiderman and the Shadow of the Colossus remake look awesome. I hope they tighten up the controls of SotC, that was the only thing keeping it from being within the top 5 games of all time. I really hope Gran Turismo: Sport doesn't get delayed, I'm craving racing games for my PS4.

• Oh man had no idea they were remaking Shadow of the Collossus. That is a top 5 game of all time for me.
    MurderbearDummydarwinfeeshy
    They probably wouldn't have shown off a new Smash even if they have one in development just because it would overshadow everything else and be the only Nintendo thing anyone talked about. Mario Odyssey looks real good as does Xenoblade.
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited June 16
    Now introducing.... the Xbox One X1 Box: Version 1
    edited June 16
    I like the idea of a Super powerful console. But Sony and Microsoft need to be careful. they might destroy the console industry if they keep announcing new systems each year. I want to buy the X but I'm worried it's gonna be obsolete in another year. MS and Sony need to make some guarantee whenever their next system is released that that's going to be it for at least 3+ years or they will heavily discount trade ins. They can't expect people to buy new consoles every year.

With that being said and I know this contradicts what I just said If I was Sony I'd announce a new and even more powerful system like a month before the X launches just to fuck Microsoft.

The smart thing to do is build a console that can be upgraded easily.

If GameStop really wants to stay in business then mybe they make an agreement with Sony or Microsoft to become some sort of upgrade center. People can bring their consoles into GameStop and get them upgraded with new CPUs, storage, RAM, graphic cards. I know hat basically makes a console a PC but i think there's a model there somewhere. Just needs some tinkering.

The concept is you buy the base console system for like $200. It's good for a year or two. Then Sony/Microsoft release an upgrade pack that you can then go to GameStop or another store and get that console updated for like $50 bucks or something. And you keep doing that for the normal lifecycle of a console and then start the process over again.
    No Half Measures....
    edited June 16
    @Hatorian These things are basically tiny PCs built specifically for playing games at this point, the days of cartridges and crazy cell architectures and all that shit are over. The problem with that style of upgrade is that in order for this thing to be $500 and be that small and perform as it does, it is built very specifically with design decisions being made around things like how big individual components are. It's not designed to be opened up and have parts replaced like a PC is. If they locked themselves into a design where every component had to be replaceable (by a Gamestop employee no less) and run on the same hardware and layout around it, they're going to lose a lot of the freedom they have to do everything they can to squeeze all the performance out of that machine. There's a reason you wouldn't be able to build a regular PC that performs like a Scorpio for 500 bucks.

It seems like it's going to be like an iPad. You can buy this years model and run everything and it's going to be great, maybe skip a year or two and when you feel like it's out of date and games are starting to come out that don't run on this old hardware you can decide if it's worth upgrading.