Twin Peaks: The Return, Episode 6, "Don't Die"

Written by Mark Frost and David Lynch
Directed by David Lynch

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited June 13
    It's Dianne!!! And she's Laura Dern!

Damn the hit and run scene and the ice pick little-person assassin were pure Lynch-ian nightmare stuff. Good god. Especially how the camera just stayed on the scenes uncomfortably long.

And somehow I'm still not bored watching Dougie-Cooper do his thing. Even when he's doodling on insurance claims forms for 10 minutes. I think it helps that I'm kindof loving Naomi Watts as his wife. Although she really probably should take him to the doctor!
    GredalBeeElisaAntManBee
  • I don't think it will be too long before Dougie meets up with the FBI people - as long as Dougie can avoid Ike the Spike.  I'm wondering if Richard Horne bales out of Twin Peaks and, like many national fugitives, heads to Vegas :-)

I'm enjoying Dougie and the suspense that's built as the FBI figures out what's going on.
    Elisa
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I've seen lots of scenes that were more graphically violent and gorey but i think the hit run scene was one of the toughest to watch. I have a 3 year old and that hit too close to home as she is tough to control walking down the street.

I still think there is a pacing issues but it might be one of those best viewed in large chunks type show but that is difficult to watch week to week. It seems you speed the show up by making it 15 episodes.

So the only predictions people made about new characters have been confirm in the most annoying person in the world Michael Cera as Andy and Lucy's son and Dern as Diane.
  • edited June 13
    MrX said:

And somehow I'm still not bored watching Dougie-Cooper do his thing. Even when he's doodling on insurance claims forms for 10 minutes.

Yup, I think MacLachlan is pretty brilliant and while most of the Dougie stuff is hilarious or heartbreaking, there's also the underlying tension that any little thing cold jolt something loose.  I kept waiting for the name "Dale" to show up in the case files somewhere.  However, I suspect that even if Dale is revived (not guaranteed), it won't be the same guy.
  • GredalBee said:

MrX said:

And somehow I'm still not bored watching Dougie-Cooper do his thing. Even when he's doodling on insurance claims forms for 10 minutes.

Yup, I think MacLachlan is pretty brilliant and while most of the Dougie stuff is hilarious or heartbreaking, there's also the underlying tension that any little thing cold jolt something loose.  I kept waiting for the name "Dale" to show up in the case files somewhere.  However, I suspect that even if Dale is revived (not guaranteed), it won't be the same guy.
    Yea on the surface it's being done as broad comedy (and is quite funny) but he's playing it with an underlying melancholy, which really works. And they've done a good job with his relationship with Janey-E and Sunny Jim (love their names BTW!) and that also keeps me engaged with the character and storyline.
  • davemcb said:

So the only predictions people made about new characters have been confirm in the most annoying person in the world Michael Cera as Andy and Lucy's son and Dern as Diane.

I'm most excited for Trent Reznor and Eddie Vedder to show up. Maybe the finale will be them doing a set at the Bang Bang Bar for an hour! I wouldn't put it past Lynch....
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I was cracking up over the song choice during Ike the Spike's scenes.

MrXjohnnyhands
  • edited June 13
    @MrX Trent's wife Marqueen and Robin Finck are in it as well so I assume the trio will be at the Bang Bang Bar. Every episode I anticipate the ending band in hope to see my man Reznor up there.

Also, since Robin isn't a part of HTDA I am curious what song will be played because I assume Marqueen will be singing. Crossing my fingers for a Lynch Original. That would be amazing!
    xulsolar22AntManBee
  • GredalBee said:

MrX said:

Regarding what brings back the real Cooper, I'm thinking that meeting Twin Peaks or FBI  people he knows well could do it.  That scene in the Lucky 7 boss' office where he saw the younger version of the boss in the boxing poster - maybe it somehow jolted his memory somehow into thinking of a younger version of himself - since it's been 25 years since he was his old self.
  • davemcb said:

I've seen lots of scenes that were more graphically violent and gorey but i think the hit run scene was one of the toughest to watch. I have a 3 year old and that hit too close to home as she is tough to control walking down the street.

I still think there is a pacing issues but it might be one of those best viewed in large chunks type show but that is difficult to watch week to week. It seems you speed the show up by making it 15 episodes.

With Regard to Michael Cera's Wally Brando character, remember, it was never established biologically that Andy was the father (DNA testing wasn't as far along in 1990).  Wally seems more like the son of Dick Tremaine than Andy.  That makes his character even more odd.
    AntManBeeElisadavemcb
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne

davemcb said:

With Regard to Michael Cera's Wally Brando character, remember, it was never established biologically that Andy was the father (DNA testing wasn't as far along in 1990).  Wally seems more like the son of Dick Tremaine than Andy.  That makes his character even more odd.
    Very true but regardless of paternity Andy is raising him as his son 
    Elisa
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited June 14
    davemcb said:

Man, me too. That scene was the stuff of my nightmares. I have a boy who is almost three years old and I've got a lot of anxiety about stuff like that and it was very hard to watch.

johnnyhands
  • I think Kyle Maclachlan is killing it as Dougie. It continues to be tragic and funny. I really like the slow build here and I think that will make the (hopefully) eventual payoff with the return of Agent Cooper so much sweeter.
    Elisajohnnyhands
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 15
    Anyone got any ideas of what those staircase scribblings Mclaughlin was doing on the those papers represent? And why it made any sense to his boss???
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I noticed that Sizemore's character was involved in all of the claims. The staircase and scribblings reminded me of the cops climbing on the roof and finding dougies car door. It also reminded me of cooper and the Asian lady with no eyes and the stairs they climbed. That said I have no clue.
  • I also meant to shout out Agent Albert Rosenfield! RIP Miguel Ferrer

"Fuck Gene Kelly you motherfucker!!"

Loved his interactions with Sheriff Truman in the original series. They took the "local police vs. feds" trope and did some funny stuff with it. Including this, which might be one of my top 5 Twin Peaks scenes:

• aberry89 said:

Anyone got any ideas of what those staircase scribblings Mclaughlin was doing on the those papers represent? And why it made any sense to his boss???

We probably won't know until someone screenshots and doesndeep analysis, but I am guessing much like the ladder they were all "connecting" pieces to what was fraudulent in the claim. His boss got to the last one (which was the 1st one he did) where he "connected the dots" (literally and figuratively). This basically gave his boss the needed key and he was then able to start connecting the notes he left.
    johnnyhandsaberry89
  • Since BaldMove isn't doing a Twin Peaks podcast, I've been looking around for good ones elsewhere.  I like this guy on YouTube, username "Wow Lynch Wow!" who does 8-12 minute videos on episodes and also on questions viewers have about the series. 

Here's a link to his video about clues in the "Battling Bud" Mullins poster (and you can find other he's done from there): 

aberry89
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I listen to Sparkwood and 21 from the No Ship Network. It's really good.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • After binging the entirety of Twin Peaks over the last three weeks or so, this episode, of all of it, just hit me as the bleakest and most depressing.  The kid with his druggie mother, the hit and run, the creep in the bar in the last episode - I don't know.  The show has always dealt in these sort of mundane nightmares, like horrifying shit that goes on all around us, hidden behind a thin veil of civility, but what left me so devastated after this episode was that shithead officer Chad.  It's like there's no hope at all in this Twin Peaks universe.  I want to believe that Hawk, Truman, Bobby, and Dale will rise victorious, sweeping the department of deadbeat sociopaths like Chad and defeating the evil that Bob represents, while also somehow getting that poor kid in Las Vegas into some decent living situation and ridding their town of every worthless shitheel young man that they seem to be infested with, but I know it's not that kind of show, or world, for that matter.  Still a great show, but I don't know if it's ever been this dark.  I'm just hoping Amanda Seyfried's poor waitress character will ride off in the sunset with Wally Brando in the end.  That would be nice.
    Elisa
  • It's only up from here, we hope :-)

And I'll bet Chad gets his, eventually.

Wally Brando seems to have his own empathy issues, though not as severe as Chads's.

• @ken hale do you really expect a bright ending with Lynch? He is the master of darkness and depression ;)
  • edited June 18
    I think Cooper will recover, that would be a major uplift.  But other than that, you've got a point.  

Then again,  Cooper's recovery will cause Janey E a major shock for the worse I'd think.  How that plays out will be very interesting.
    KingKobra
  • KingKobra said:

@ken hale do you really expect a bright ending with Lynch? He is the master of darkness and depression ;)

Blue Velvet is about as bright an ending as that story gets, I guess, but you're right.   I just think this season shows both a more widespread and pervasive evil that is overwhelming.  Lynch has never really, to this extent, shown corruption within law enforcement, so they're usually somewhat dependable heroic figures in his stories (at least those I've seen), which is why that shitty cop really bummed me out.
  • KingKobra said:

aberry89 said:

We probably won't know until someone screenshots and doesndeep analysis, but I am guessing much like the ladder they were all "connecting" pieces to what was fraudulent in the claim. His boss got to the last one (which was the 1st one he did) where he "connected the dots" (literally and figuratively). This basically gave his boss the needed key and he was then able to start connecting the notes he lef
    KingKobra said:

The same two police detective names appear on all of the insurance reports....

• ken hale said:

KingKobra said:

@ken hale do you really expect a bright ending with Lynch? He is the master of darkness and depression ;)

Blue Velvet is about as bright an ending as that story gets, I guess, but you're right.   I just think this season shows both a more widespread and pervasive evil that is overwhelming.  Lynch has never really, to this extent, shown corruption within law enforcement, so they're usually somewhat dependable heroic figures in his stories (at least those I've seen), which is why that shitty cop really bummed me out.
    Coop is basically the hero of the story IMO, he's the only one that may have an "OK ending", but even then he'd be left scared from what he's experienced. Everyone else seems to be free game for any pervasive torture Lynch decided for them.