Great British Baking Show

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Does anyone watch this? I have never paid attention to it, but this Vulture article makes me want to watch it.

Comments

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I've seen it. It's pretty amazing. Also it's weird that a show featuring British bakers can be called great apparently unironically.
  • It's fantastic. Everyone is really nice! They don't create stupid fake drama like a lot of American cooking competitions. Plus you'll be inspired to bake. And you'll start saying "underbaked" in a bad British accent randomly.

We watched all the ones available on Netflix / PBS and then found some earlier BBC seasons on YouTube.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited June 17
    It is the holy grail of British culture every year, and us Brits take it EXTREMELY seriously! :-D

Although, the show was bought by a different channel last year and will be coming back with a mostly new set of judges and hosts. It was a scandal in the country for weeks haha!
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I watched it and after working 20 years in food industry I could never make most of that stuff.
    Also, I didn't know that the title for the show was different overseas. In the UK it's called The Great British Bake Off. Does that not translate?
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    amyja89 said:

Also, I didn't know that the title for the show was different overseas. In the UK it's called The Great British Bake Off. Does that not translate?

They had to change the name because Pillsbury owns the trademark for "bake-off" here.

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I watched the first episode of S5 last night and was pleasantly taken by how sweet and supportive everyone is. I don't think I'll continue though, as I felt really bad for the people who were getting stressed out. I felt awful for the girl who started crying because she was afraid that she was going to get booted. As nice as this show is, it still depends on stress, anxiety, and public embarrassment to make it exciting. I just can't get into that when it involves real people. 
    amyja89
  • I enjoy watching the master class; Mary and the other guy make it look freaking effortless. The dude made these perfect baguettes damn they looked delicious.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    We did start watching the new season, and we also started watching an old season on Netflix. We're hooked! Baking is so difficult and they have these difficult challenges. It's really compelling. Also they seem to throw in naughty jokes from time to time,but we weren't sure if they were naughty since the British have different sayings than we do. Or maybe there are even more naughty jokes that we aren't getting haha.
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    @amyja89 GBBO or Strictly as centre of modern British tv culture?
    @ceburaska Oof! What a question! Strictly has the history, but I do think Bake Off was the cultural zeitgeist for the past few years. With the move to Channel 4, though, how knows what the future holds. :-P
    I was on British TV one time so you have to include that in the voting lolol
    On a more relevant note, I like how this show is more a pure test of skill than a lot of American cooking shows that have so many twists and surprises involved.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide

On a more relevant note, I like how this show is more a pure test of skill than a lot of American cooking shows that have so many twists and surprises involved.

That's why I love Masterchef UK - it looks like it cost $20 to make in some high school home ec kitchen and it's so low key. People get briefly introduced ("Jenny is from Cambridgeshire and enjoys baking cakes for her local church fete"), they cook, they lose the round, they have 30 seconds to say "Obviously I'm disappointed, but it's been a wonderful experience", and off they go.

The Australian one is constant dramatic (and super loud) music, stupid twists, annoying comebacks from people who've been booted, and tedious sob stories about long-dead relatives or how they've realised they're TRULY MEANT to be in the food business.
    akritenbrink
  • Has GBBS become the cool hipster thing to watch like antique road show? I was out with some friends and they couldn't stop talking about thei show?
    ceburaska
    @akritenbrink Don't leave us hanging! What British TV were you on? lol
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I devoured this show last month, no pun intended. I tracked down the seasons not on Netflix.
  • I'm so glad this thread exists. A couple of friends of mine were talking very glowingly about it but I couldn't remember the name. I really want to check it out. Thanks!
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    I have barely watched GBBO (baking is my least favourite part of cooking) but it does seem to have taken over the UK tv zeitgeist for the last few years. Mel and Sue are always fun. And any programme described as the most Hufflepuff show on tv gets my vote.
    edited June 19
    amyja89 said:

@akritenbrink Don't leave us hanging! What British TV were you on? lol

hahaha I was on a special on Channel 5 several years ago called The World's Most Pampered Pets or something like that. One of my online friends has a well-known internet cat (Luna the Fashion Kitty) so they talked about how she likes to keep in touch with the fans and they filmed her skyping with a fan, which was me. It was hilarious because they edited it to make it look like I was completely obsessed with her and they kept cutting back to the cat who obviously couldn't give a shit. LOL 
    ceburaskaamyja89
    @akritenbrink superstar!
    ceburaska said:

@akritenbrink superstar!

More like supernerd!
    @akritenbrink Same thing, no?
    akritenbrink
    ceburaska said:

@akritenbrink Same thing, no?

Probably... Luckily they never played it on TV here so I never got to find out. LOL