Twin Peaks, The Return: Episode 7, "There's a body all right"

edited June 19 in Other TV
Written by Mark Frost and David Lynch
Directed by David Lynch

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Great on many levels. Even I was getting impatient but this episode delivered. I especially liked the "sweeping the bar" short film within the episode.
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 19
    Me: "I wonder who will be playing at the bar tonight?"

* Dude sweeps bar floor for 10 minutes

Me: "Goddamn get a fucking bigger broom!"

Seriously though another great episode. Diane - we literally know nothing about here but I was immediately emotionally invested in her story. What a great scene. Bob-Cooper WTF did you  do to her!

And fuck yea Dougie-Cooper taking down Ike the Spike, with an assist from the Arm v2.0. Just great stuff. And Naomi Watts - what I thought was going to be a fun little cameo the fourth episode has turned into a fantastic character. Janey-E is pretty much the best.

Loved the Skype call w/ Sherrif Truman and the doc. I want Truman's pop-up monitor desk, that is a slick rig for the Twin Peaks police dept.
    Jovial_FalconElisaKingKobraDaveyMacUnderwood
  • edited June 19
    What was up with the windows appearing and disappearing from the outside shot of the plane when they flew to SD?

Is that just Lynch fucking with us for no reason or was it weird Sun glare? I don't care either way but it was strange. I went back twice just to make sure.

It was great to see Doc in there. I agree @MrX. That Secret Spy computer get up is awesome!

Also, why is Sheryl Lee as Laura Palmer credited in every episode? Is it as simple as her picture in the opening video? Seems like the obvious choice but was curious if I had missed something.
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The big reveal that the body was an un aged Major
    Briggs was great. Then the call from Jerry Horne to Ben was hilarious - I am so high. The doc told sheriff Truman that the bad coop visited Audrey in the hospital when she was in a coma. Damn I hope he didn't impregnate her and now we got maniacal Richard running around. So Leland left Laura's missing diary pages in the sheriff dept bathroom. I wonder if he was trying to help coop and Laura get out of the black lodge. Maybe there is some sort of absolution for him. So many gems in this episode.
  • What was up with the windows appearing and disappearing from the outside shot of the plane when they flew to SD?

Is that just Lynch fucking with us for no reason or was it weird Sun glare? 

Yes, I agree it looks unnatural because the windows don't "blink" in a one-to-the-next orderly way as the plane is turning - there seems to be a human-inspired pattern.  Though the plane the camera was in might also have been turning yielding just a curious (but natural?) effect (unless that's a CG plane, not a real one). 

Is there some coded number message there? :-)
    KingKobra
  • Elisa said:

The doc told sheriff Truman that the bad coop visited Audrey in the hospital when she was in a coma. Damn I hope he didn't impregnate her and now we got maniacal Richard running around. 

I think that's exactly what we've got - demon seed Cooper's son.  You know good Cooper was tempted by Audrey (remember his reaction in Season 1 after he asked her how old she was and she said, "eighteen,"), but held back because of his professionalism.  Evil Cooper might have been settling a urge in his head as a first thing to do - once Bob took over.
    Elisa
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne

What was up with the windows appearing and disappearing from the outside shot of the plane when they flew to SD?

Is that just Lynch fucking with us for no reason or was it weird Sun glare? I don't care either way but it was strange. I went back twice just to make sure.

It was great to see Doc in there. I agree @MrX. That Secret Spy computer get up is awesome!

Also, why is Sheryl Lee as Laura Palmer credited in every episode? Is it as simple as her picture in the opening video? Seems like the obvious choice but was curious if I had missed something.

I'm pretty sure she was credited in all the Laura Palmer related episodes of the original without being in the episode itself

The Secret Spy computer is an incredible set up especially for someone who is a hunter pecker like Sheriff Truman 2 Electric Boogaloo. 
  • Cooper is going to snap out of it, they're going to hit us with that Angelo Badalamenti, and tears are going everywhere. 
  • What was up with the windows appearing and disappearing from the outside shot of the plane when they flew to SD?

I wouldn't read too much into any of the FX, remember these are all "dated" basically so it matches the tone of the originals more. To me it looked like them trying copy the effect of reflection of clouds/mountains on the windows. They didn't disappear for me however, it just looked like reflections.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 20
    Everyone else saw the "sitting" ghost walk down the hall and past the coraner's room right???????
    davemcbJovial_FalconElisaDaveyMac
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • That was a riveting hour of television. When it ended I was shocked as I thought I'd only been watching for about 20 minutes or so. 

Most important question of the week: Where did Andy get that Rolex?

Also, any chance that the hum in the Hotel could be Mrs. Packard? Apologies if that's a dumb question. I just can't remember the details leading up to her soul or whatever being trapped in the wood. But the shooting of Cooper came up in this scene and she was the one who shot Cooper right? I really should go and read up on some wikis to refresh my memory.

Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 21
    aberry89 said:

Everyone else saw the "sitting" ghost walk down the hall and past the coraner's room right???????

Yes! I was expecting everyone in that room to get murdered! That reminds me, I wonder if we'll ever see Matthew Lillard's character again? Did he get off-ed by the dirty ghost?