Top 25 films of the new century

Hey, guys.

I'd love to hear Bald Moves take on this list from the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/09/movies/the-25-best-films-of-the-21st-century.html

A lot of foreign films on this list and a lot of indie cinema that most haven't seen. I have a lot to disagree with this list, but curious everyone else's take on it.

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    It seems they are leaving out a lot of commercial films on purpose. You have to be more of a highbrow film watcher to get behind this list. I like most of the movies I've seen on this list but I sometimes like a Guardians Of The Galaxy. I tend to go with the AFI list when talking about great films (the 97 list) but I think its about time being a 7 year for a new list.
  • I don't know.  I've seen some of those movies and I've seen some I thought were better than those.  I guess I might use it as a recommendation for some of those foreign movies I haven't seen, but that list just looks like a bunch of stuck-up critics ran 100 good movies through some kind of marketing demographic filter.
    CretanBull
  • ken hale said:

I don't know.  I've seen some of those movies and I've seen some I thought were better than those.  I guess I might use it as a recommendation for some of those foreign movies I haven't seen, but that list just looks like a bunch of stuck-up critics ran 100 good movies through some kind of marketing demographic filter.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I haven't seen a lot of those foreign movies, but it seems like a defensible list which is all you can really judge these things by with how subjective they are.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I think it's a good, eclectic list (and that Americans need to get over thinking that arthouse and non-English language films are elitist), but I do question including Million Dollar Baby and The 40-Year Old Virgin but excluding Mulholland Drive and In the Mood for Love, both of which are universally in the top lists of the 21st century (and happen to be my favorite top two, so).
    DaveyMac
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 20
    #1 I agree with completely. Some interesting, and some surprising picks, but i like when top movie lists throw in some curve balls, become most of them are just repetitive. Definitely a lot to add to the list. I really appreciate the foreign films as I have such a hunger for that stuff, but for the most part, have no idea where to star.

@kingbee67  I counted many, many commerical films here. More than usually make top 100 movies lists, Inside Out, Million Dollar Baby, Spirited Away, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Munich, Mad Max..I could go on! What list you reading??!!! XD
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 20
    Also,  small part of me is extremely ticked that Llewyn Davis was chosen over Old Country. There is not, and shouldn't be any question that Old Country is a masterpiece. But it didn't come close to moving me like Llewyn did. That film is extremely special to me. It feels like having a good cry with an old friend that isn't there to tell you lies about how it's all gonna be okay, but how it's shit and you gotta just keep going. Not that Old Country doesn't do that either, but it somehow, SOMEHOW lacks that desperation Llewyn does. Maybe because Inside Llewyn Davis, we have the initial hope of it. 

But i also prefer a Serious Man over Old Country, but how the fuck are suppose to rank the Coen works anyway????
    DaveyMac
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • I think it's a good, eclectic list (and that Americans need to get over thinking that arthouse and non-English language films are elitist), but I do question including Million Dollar Baby and The 40-Year Old Virgin but excluding Mulholland Drive and In the Mood for Love, both of which are universally in the top lists of the 21st century (and happen to be my favorite top two, so).

It's not that the films themselves are elitist, its the idea of putting out a list of movies that most people have never seen and/or would be alienated by if they have seen.  They made a few 'token' choices for the masses - 40 Year old Virgin, Mad Max etc - and they aren't particularly great movies (IMO anyway).  It's good that some of these movies will get some American attention for being named in this list, but it seems pretty clear to me that this was written to be controversial and to be discussed.

I've seen 19 of the movies on that list, and only "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" would have a chance at being in my top 25 (objectively, "There Will Be Blood" should be on my list but I have a personal loathing of PT Anderson's movies!).

Mulholland Drive is a glaring omission, and nothing from David Fincher?  I also get the impression that Wes Anderson was excluded for snotty reasons. 

Also, Children of Men and The Royal Tenenbaums. I would have gone for No Country for Old Men over Inside Llewyn Davis, but now I want to revisit that. Hey, you can't make a top ___ list if people didn't immediately argue with the picks.  lol
    CretanBull
    @CretanBull  Fair point, but I like critics making a list of their favorites. Some of those, I hadn't even heard of. 

"objectively, "There Will Be Blood" should be on my list but I have a personal loathing of PT Anderson's movies!"

Yes! I too cannot stand PT Anderson films. I feel like I must be missing something that everyone else appreciates, but I do love Aimee Mann's soundtrack to Magnolia so maybe that counts for something?
    cdriveCretanBull
  • ^Children of Men, The Royal Tenenbaums and  No Country for Old Men would all be on my list.  Other considerations would be Zodiac, Adaptation, Sicario, Lost in Translation, The Lives of Others, there's probably room for a Tarantino movie on there too.
    cdrivepavlovsbell
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited June 20

@CretanBull  Fair point, but I like critics making a list of their favorites. Some of those, I hadn't even heard of. 

"objectively, "There Will Be Blood" should be on my list but I have a personal loathing of PT Anderson's movies!"

Yes! I too cannot stand PT Anderson films. I feel like I must be missing something that everyone else appreciates, but I do love Aimee Mann's soundtrack to Magnolia so maybe that counts for something?
    I'm finally not alone!!!  I always feel like I have to apologize for not liking his movies, but I find his entire style to be flat, toneless and emotionally devoid of anything that I can connect to.

Edit - Re: Aimee Mann, does that explain your board name?
    pavlovsbell

• Mulholland Drive is a glaring omission, and nothing from David Fincher?  I also get the impression that Wes Anderson was excluded for snotty reasons. 

Yeah, I was shocked too to see no Fincher. Lynch is a great artist but can be inpenetrable. I thought there would be a lot more Coen brothers on this list. 

pavlovsbellCretanBull
    @CretanBull  Same.

My board name? Partly (I love that song), but also from my cat, Pavlov. It was kismet.
    CretanBull
  • @CretanBull  Same.

My board name? Partly (I love that song), but also from my cat, Pavlov. It was kismet.

A cat named Pavlov? Ha!  I suspect if Pavlov tried to do his experiments on cats, they'd have ended up training him!

pavlovsbell
    edited June 20

This is my not entirely well thought out surely I'm forgetting a bunch of movies top 25 of the 21st C list (in no particular order):

Slumdog Mullionaire - Danny Boyle (2008)
    Mulholland Drive - David Lynch (2001)
    Yi Yi - Edward Yang (2000)
    Zodiac - David Fincher (2007)
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Michel Gondry (2004)

Cache - Michael Haneke (2005)
    No Country For Old Men - Joel & Ethan Coen (2007)
    4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - Cristian Mungiu (2007)
    Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo Del Toro (2009)
    The Royal Tenenbaums - Wes Anderson (2001)

The Lives Of Others - Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (2006)
    City of God - Fernando Meirelles (2002)
    Shaun of The Dead - Edgar Wright (2004)
    Lost in Translation - Sofia Coppola (2003)
    In Bruges - Martin McDonagh (2008)

Battle Royale - Kinji Fukasaku (2000)
    24 Hour Party People - Michael Winterbottom (2002)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Ang Lee (2000)
    Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino (2009)
    The Lobster - Yorgos Lanthimos (2015)

DaveyMacpavlovsbell
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I've only seen nine films on the list. Must try harder.
    pavlovsbell
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    edited June 20
    I've seen about 1/3 of these, a mix of small and big films. I'm Not There was great, as was Moonlight. The 40-yr- old virgin being here perplexes me. Mad max:fury road was fine, I guess. Inside Llewyn Davis was good for what it was but left me a bit dry, although I did like the cat. I've seen a few others on the list, but already forgot which ones so I guess they weren't that great. If we're adding obscure films, I'd add Ida, Rams and Into Great Silence. If we're adding mainstream films, I guess Bridesmaids? And The Revenant.

I don't see a lot of movies, and watch most of them at home, which I think is fairly common nowadays. So I don't get the complaint that a lot on the list are not mainstream movies. I do happen to live in a city with a wide and diverse film culture, but even if I didn't, we have so much at our fingertips now with streaming. Some of my best film watching experiences are just running across something I've never heard of on Netflix.
    pavlovsbell
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @akritenbrink I agree I'm not sure on the 40 year old virgin but it is a very funny and rewatchable movie I don't see how its top 25 its either really good or we accept that this century dominated by comic book movies, sequels and remakes that the top end movies are just not there. Its also funny that there are that many best picture winners on the list either

I was meh on Mad Max Fury Road as well sure it was great visually but i never actually got to involved in the movie or characters. Great spectacle but didnt really wow me. But hey thats cinema everyone has their own tastes one persons best film is anothers nightmare

pavlovsbell
  • I've seen about half the films on the list. 

People have already mentioned some already, but some that would make my list that weren't on the NY Times one would be:
    Mulholland Dr.
    Children of Men
    No Country and A Serious Man (I love that Llewyn Davis is on there though.) I could never choose just one Coens film.
    A Separation
    In the Mood For Love
    Memories of Murder
    Y Tu Mama Tambien
    Inglourious Basterds
    pavlovsbellCretanBull
  • Ex Machina - Alex Garland (2015) should have found its way on to my list.

DaveyMacpavlovsbell
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    davemcb said:

@akritenbrink I agree I'm not sure on the 40 year old virgin but it is a very funny and rewatchable movie I don't see how its top 25 its either really good or we accept that this century dominated by comic book movies, sequels and remakes that the top end movies are just not there. Its also funny that there are that many best picture winners on the list either

I was meh on Mad Max Fury Road as well sure it was great visually but i never actually got to involved in the movie or characters. Great spectacle but didnt really wow me. But hey thats cinema everyone has their own tastes one persons best film is anothers nightmare

Yeah. Maybe because it was kind of a fresh type of comedy at the time. IDK
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Excellent call on these.  If the guys ever take community commissions again, The Lives of Others might be a good one.  I need to revisit Lost in Translation.

CretanBull
  • Excellent call on these.  If the guys ever take community commissions again, The Lives of Others might be a good one.  I need to revisit Lost in Translation.

"Lost in Translation" isn't the type of movie that will change your life, but it's Bill Murray at his absolute peak and an emerging Scarlet Johansson who finds a way to not be steam-rolled by Murray's performance (she portrays herself as quietly curious, which probably turned her inexperience as an actor into a strength in this role).  It's a great movie that contrasts Murray's midlife uncertainties with Johansson's early life uncertainties, with everything compressed into a short time frame and happening in a foreign place that invites behaviour and a willingness to be brash.

Okay, I just made a list on the fly, and it was surprisingly hard to narrow it down to 25, although I know I'm forgetting many. It's pretty basic with just a couple of curveballs. I unabashedly love Kill Bill, Vol. 1. Half Nelson is a super indie movie, but it's so sweet and earnest, and Ryan Gosling is so good. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking, "I don't know this guy, but he's gonna go places." LOL

In no particular order, well, except for maybe the first two:

In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
    Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)
    A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
    A Touch of Sin (Jia Zhangke, 2013)
    Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)

The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001)
    The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
    No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
    Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)

Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2009)
    Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, 2016)
    Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
    Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)
    The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)
    The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)
    Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
    Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
    Half Nelson (Ryan Fleck, 2006)

A Prophet (Jacques Audiard, 2009)
    4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Christian Mungui, 2007)
    Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
    Timbuktu (Abderrahmane Sissako, 2014)
    Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (Quentin Tarantino, 2003)

Some that I cut:
    The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, 2008)
    Three Kings* (David O. Russell, 1999)
    Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)
    The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan José Campanella, 2010)
    Caché (Michael Haneke, 2005)
    Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)
    Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle, 2008)

*I just realized that Three Kings was 1999. I always associate it with The Hurt Locker, for some reason. Maybe I first watched it around that time.

I keep seeing Zodiac and Michael Clayton on people's lists. I need to revisit those.
    CretanBullDaveyMac
    edited June 20

@pavlovsbell

Pretty much all of the movies on my short-list of about 40 movies or so that I whittled down to 25 popped up on your list.  Like, choosing between Cache and The White Ribbon was a coin flip, as was Kill Bill Vol 1 and Inglorious BasterdsMomento and A Separation were my final two cuts.

I really liked Michael Clayton, but IMO it's a writer's movie - which isn't a bad thing at all, but the strength of the movie is the screenplay, its structure, some of the dialogue etc, and less about the story, acting, directing etc.

Edit: also reading your list made me realize that I somehow forgot Oldboy, it should be on my list.

pavlovsbellDaveyMac
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 20
    There Will Be Blood
    Spirited Away
    Million Dollar Baby   (seen it, but forgettable movie)
    Inside Out
    Boyhood
    Hurt Locker
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    I'm Not There
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Seen 10 of them.  I feel like I have seen Yi Yi also but it was so long ago.

Most interested in seeing Three Times next.

pavlovsbell
    I also cut Ocean's Eleven. It's such a fun movie that is very old Hollywood to me, filled with movie stars being movie stars but also good actors who are having fun. Everyone is having fun, and it shows. And I wanted to put Soderbergh on the list.
    CretanBullDaveyMac
  • In Bruges! Absolutely.

I love Dylan and I'm not here, but not top 25
    pavlovsbell
    edited June 20

I also cut Ocean's Eleven. It's such a fun movie that is very old Hollywood to me, filled with movie stars being movie stars but also good actors who are having fun. Everyone is having fun, and it shows. And I wanted to put Soderbergh on the list.

I was surprised that Soderbergh (I was considering Traffic) and Scorsese (I was considering Gangs of New York and Hugo) didn't make my list but I couldn't find a way to make it work.  If I make another list next week, it would be totally different haha!  I didn't agonize over any choices really, I made a quick list - double checked that they were 21st C and then whittled it down to 25 and tried to offer some diversity.  There's no way that Shaun of the Dead or Battle Royale are better than some of the movies that I left off, but they both represent a type of movie that wouldn't be represented if they weren't on the list.
    DaveyMacpavlovsbell