310 - Lantern

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
edited June 2017 in Better Cast Saul
Director: Peter Gould
Writer: Gennifer Hutchison
Didn't see a thread so I made this one.
Also spoilers I guess but if you're reading the thread before finishing the episode that's kind of on you.
Andrew Stadler

Comments

• Howard played that masterfully.
    Dee
  • Hector: "I don't trust him"
    Me: Then why the fuck did you do this in the first place!? He's such a moron I really hope he ends this episode in a wheelchair.
    kojiattwood
  • Chuck comes in with the rough justice, he's still an asshole but he's not wrong.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    You know the hash tag I said to myself after that interaction between Chuck and Jimmy
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for starting the thread. I was engrossed in the final two episodes in House of Cards, somehow, and I spaced it!
    Andrew StadlerKingKobra
  • Kim should be glad she became a lawyer off the strength of Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird before the sequel came out, I don't think she could take more disillusionment.
  • That's the least you could do Jimmy you rat bastard.
    Murderbear
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited June 2017
    I'm real confused what season 4 is going to be about though, it doesn't seem like Jimmy ended this season in Saul land. Maybe Chuck burning to death might be the tipping point? I feel like some episodes of the Leftovers could use that suicide prevention hotline as a closer.
  • zackzack New York
    edited June 2017
    There's two things holding Jimmy back from full Saul, Chuck and Kim. Season 3 is the loss of Chuck so I'd guess season 4 will be losing Kim.
  • Except I figured Season 3 would also be the loss of Kim but apparently not. I feel like this show moves very fast in some ways and very slow in others.
  • I don't know it just seems like if this is just the downfall of Jimmy to Saul it could've been accomplished in 3 Seasons instead of 5. I like the show but if you trim some of the fat off I think it would all flow much more smoothly. Who knows maybe Season 4 will blow me away like S4 of BB did in which case I retract my previous opinions.
  • I loved this episode. Thought it was beautifully drawn out.
    KingKobraMichellejtmy92
  • I do really like this episode, I think I have more problems with the overall series than this episode in particular. I think this was actually a really great episode.
    Michelle
  • zackzack New York
    Sure they could trim this series down some but if they keep cranking it out at this quality I'm ok with it going five seasons.
    Michelle
  • That's true it's still better than a lot of other tv so I'm can't complain too much.
  • I am somewhat puzzled as to what the point of last episode was because it seemed like a hard right turn into Saul land but then Jimmy immediately reversed course so I guess the only point was to get him out of elder law?
  • zackzack New York
    Yeah. It feels like there is another level they could get to like late stage Breaking Bad and maybe they will in the end stages of Saul but if not it's still a damn good show.
  • Yeah i'm essentially quibbling about BCS being only an A level show instead of an A+ so no big deal overall. If Chuck isn't dead or seriously incapacitated next season though I'll have some real issues.
    TaraC73
  • zackzack New York
    Yeah. If they walk that back I'd have serious problems.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited June 2017
    Started to feel kind of bad for chuck but then remembered he told jimmy he wasn't all that important to him so yeah... #fuckchuck. We don't need no water let that mutherfucker burn!
    MichelleDummyDeeMichaelDani_Armindo
  • The irony of Hector being mad and paranoid about Gus taking over is that he's absolutely correct, Gus really does want to destroy the cartel, but he's too dumb to actually articulate a valid reason not to trust to Gustavo and it essentially boils down to his machismo being hurt over the cartel, rightfully, cutting him out for his poor business decisions.
  • Loved the episode from Gus noticing the pill bottle switch to the sad ending with Chuck. Jimmy trying the make amends the only way he knows how (burning every bridge). The only way he can salvage Kim will be eventually to do the same thing with her.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chuck telling Jimmy he never really meant very much to him made my heart hurt for Jimmy.  But then, the scene of him tearing apart his house hurt my heart all over again, this time for Chuck.  Screw the Villigan for playing with my emotions like this!
    DanistampsMurderbearDani_Armindo
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    That was a dark, depressing episode. I loved how the ending was full of dread and quietly horrific. Well done, Show.
    DaveyMacDani_Armindo
  • edited June 2017
    /Spoilers
    I'm an evil man, because I think Chuck finally got what he deserved, the death of a crazy hurtful man who died alone and without any friends.

It's going to be very sad to see what happens to Kim. Happy with the show for remaining at such an excellent level of quality. 

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Every time Chuck destroys Jimmy, he destroys a piece of himself. It looks like he destroyed his last horcrux tonight.
    Dani_Armindo
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Alkaid13 said:

I am somewhat puzzled as to what the point of last episode was because it seemed like a hard right turn into Saul land but then Jimmy immediately reversed course so I guess the only point was to get him out of elder law?

I was thinking the same thing. We had a heartless Jimmy last episode and an empathetic, caring one this episode. It was not very nuanced at all. But to answer your question, I think it was to have Jimmy struggling money-wise and pressuring Howard into settling the case. This pushes Howard even further to the edge in just general frustration and he buys out Chuck, which then causes Chuck's dismissal which then pushes HIM further to the edge and well...we saw how that played out. It sort of sets off a chain reaction of things.

Seeing Chuck tear apart his house really made you realize how sick he was...and just after we watched him do so much better. Him struggling after so much progress is probably what was made him spiral so quickly. Almost like a bender after a long period of sobriety. 

But then...I shouldn't be feeling that awful for Chuck, look how he treated Jimmy just moments before. THIS was what was missing from last episode; the twisty, turvy, and nuanced characters and how the Villigang can manipulate the viewer's feelings towards a character so effortlessly. 
    MurderbearAnominal
  • MFGMFG
    edited June 2017
    Chuck telling Jimmy that he never really meant that much to him made me think of A.Ron's take on one of the recent casts, which was how much the two brothers really resemble each other with regard to their manipulativeness and their ability to read and play other people. I don't think that Chuck always felt like he didn't care that much about Jimmy (I think the introductory scene of young Chuck reading to young Jimmy was one way of illustrating that), and that he would never have said something so cold about Jimmy at least until the disbarment case. My take was that when Jimmy confronted Chuck, after all that had gone down between them, Chuck was only looking for the most hurtful thing to say, and saying that he didn't care for Jimmy's remorse ritual and his appeal to the bond between brothers seemed like just the right thing to Chuck. So while it was painful to watch, I felt like I knew why Chuck did it and why he thought he had to do it. Some wounds just don't heal.

I know it's a controversial opinion on this forum but I really don't get how some people can be so one-sided about this. Yes, Chuck is smug and patronizing. Yes, he deserves punishment, but burning down in his own house after being left by his wife and kicked out by the firm he helped build (not least as a consequence of his own actions, yes, yes), and that makes some people shout: oh, he so deserves this, fuck Chuck!! I don't know... In the end, I feel like I've watched a pretty conventional greek tragedy play out. Two brothers, both with good intentions, from their own moral perspectives, but also with very severe character flaws, and these flaws then become their ultimate downfall. No more, no less. Rest in peace, Chuck!
    FlashGordonkojiattwood
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @MFG Chuck did some awful things, and in some ways I'm very much on the #FuckChuck bandwagon, but I never believed he was faking his illness. He was very troubled.

That said, he was also a really shitty person and though he didn't deserve to die, he did deserve to be friendless.