'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof In The Works At HBO

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-damon-lindelof-works-at-hbo-1014987

This is certainly a hell of an interesting choice should he choose to make it.
ElisaMelonusk

Comments

• This has the potential to be amazing!
    ElisaFlukes
  • That could be amazing depending on who the other producers are.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Can the TV series beat the casting of the movie?  

Lindelof says "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it.". Isn't that what he says about all his projects? 
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2017
    kingbee67 said:

Can the TV series beat the casting of the movie?  

Lindelof says "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it.". Isn't that what he says about all his projects? 
    Lol, that quote was taken from his band analogy which sounds, well, very H-word.

“There’s a little bit about that feeling of Watchmen, in terms of the fans, it’s like, I don’t really know if I want it to go mainstream,” Mr. Lindelof explained. “It’s like if you discover a band in college and you can go and see them and you can be right up against the stage and you kind of know the members of the band on a first-name basis and you can have beers with them after the show and then they break. And now they have a single on the radio and everybody is listening to them and now you have to buy a ticket to go see them in a coliseum…I want to keep it sort of insular. It’s okay with me if people don’t understand it because they don’t deserve to understand it.”

I think he means that he doesn't want to take it mainstream. He wants to keep it rather esoteric, but the out-of-context quote sounded a bit snooty.
    I'm not jazzed for yet another comic book / graphic novel adaptation, but I am jazzed for more Lindelof, so...
    Travis
  • edited June 2017
    Good news for A.Ron, that dick quota is going to get filled with Dr. Manhattan every week.  My only wish is that they cast Justin Theroux for the part, for obvious reasons.  Because he's a great actor.
    trippygguenotKingKobraReniTravisMelonuskmwspiak
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    As much as I enjoyed what Snyder did with his movie version...there was really something missing. I think when I started seeing all the amazing, unbelievable, hyper-violent acts these heroes were doing was where it clicked. Snyder wanted to do cool action scenes...and they were cool. But Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superhero. So I feel like the missed that whole aspect. 
    DaveyMacToadie
  • As someone that pretty much hated Synder's Watchman, and as a huge fan of the graphic novel, I'm very interested to see where this goes.  After the Leftovers, I'm pretty much game for anything Lindelof, and his brand of storytelling could really make Watchman into what it should be.  The only thing I think Synder's Watchman got right other than the visuals was casting.  Lindelof is also amazing at casting.  This could be a treat!

I also find it funny seeing so many people on social media freaking out about Lindelof as the show runner.  It's apparent many of them didn't see Leftovers. :P
    DaveyMac
  • Loved the movie, looking forward to seeing what he'll do with the series-- wasn't a huge fan of Lost and The Leftovers, but I'll go in open minded!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh my god. This is excellent news. Especially for Bald Move. If this happens, it will be H U G E day one.
    TravisFernNYC17slamm71
  • GredalBee said:

Good news for A.Ron, that dick quota is going to get filled with Dr. Manhattan every week.  My only wish is that they cast Justin Theroux for the part, for obvious reasons.  Because he's a great actor.

So Carrie Coon for Silk Spectre then right? Gotta keep the ship alive!
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 2017

I am ready for so much shade to be thrown on Snyder.  yeeeeiiiiaaaaaaa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    GredalBee said:

How many jogging pants scenes will Dr. Theroux have before he stops giving a shit about pants?
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I never know how to feel about this stuff with how explicit Alan Moore is about not adapting his work. If they're going to do it I hope they at least do it really well.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @bizmarkiefader How is there a movie and an upcoming series, then? Does he not own the rights to his characters?
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @Dee I think DC owns the rights to Watchmen and all the characters, apparently they can do whatever they want and he has actively campaigned and lost friendships over anything other than the original comics. Moore claims he doesn't have the rights cause they lied to him about redoing a contract or some such and fucked him over, which is part of why I always feel kinda gross about these types of adaptations. He's a dick to be sure but it does seem like he has a reason to be angry, he wanted Watchmen to be something very specific and contained.

http://comicsalliance.com/alan-moore-watchmen-contract-gibbons/
    Dee
  • Oh my god. This is excellent news. Especially for Bald Move. If this happens, it will be H U G E day one.

Better reserve that "Watching The Watchmen" podcast title now!
    gguenot
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    Im not a comics fan and im not a fan of superhero shows. Yet, I am a big Damon Lindelof fan. I know nothing about The Watchmen. Can you guys tell me if you think Damon will still be able to do "his thing" with this project - meaning intriguing, thought provoking mystery, some plot twists and great character stories? Thanks for any insight
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Hopefully he doesn't screw up the ending like he did in The Leftovers (I know, I know, I am in the minority on this).  The Watchmen movie was perfect, I think they actually improved on the ending of the book.  However, there is a lot of content you can't include simply because a movie isn't long enough.  This definitely has a lot of potential.  
    gguenotKela15
  • I wasn't sure if I was going to watch this series but I guess I'm all in with NIN making the music!

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/watchmen-soundtrack-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-hbo-series-1202005533/
    Kela15
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Well this is exciting! I sort of forgot about this and now I see that a cast list has been released and HBO's ordered the first season to debut next year!

HBO also released a detailed cast list, including previously announced cast members like Regina King (“The Leftovers”), Jeremy Irons (“Dead Ringers”), Tim Blake Nelson (“O Brother, Where Art Thou?”), and Don Johnson (“Book Club”), as well as as Jacob Ming-Trent, Dylan Schombing, Lily Rose Smith, and Adelynn Spoon. The rest of the cast includes Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Adelaide Clemens, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, and Sara Vickers
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/watchmen-hbo-series-cast-release-date-1201995838/

Jovial_Falcon
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited September 21
    I think the timing of this is pretty perfect. The Watchmen comic was a fresh response to the glut of superhero comics that was beginning to drown under its own weight - and we are experiencing the same cycle all over again. 

I still think the comic is never going to be surpassed - but I have a lot more trust that Lindelof knows that the WRITING is the backbone of the comic, not the aesthetics. I honestly don't have a ton of history with comics, but I read Watchmen with a book club last year, and reading Alan Moore is an experience, everyone should get the pleasure. (I prefer his Prometha and From Hell books though )

BTW if you want to read the comic with an online book club check out ComicBookGirl19's Watchmen Series on Youtube and Twitch. Can't recommend it enough. 
    darwinfeeshyFlukes
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    aberry89 said:

BTW if you want to read the comic with an online book club check out ComicBookGirl19's Watchmen Series on Youtube and Twitch. Can't recommend it enough. 
    Thanks for this. I love ComicBookGirl19, but didn't know that she did this.