Master and Commander

I was excited to hear that Master and Commander is the next commission that they will be doing. I have a pretty nice surround sound system that I put together and whenever I want to test out a different setting or show off the system to a friend I always pull out this Blu Ray and play the first 15 or so minutes to this movie. The opening to this really shows off good surround sound with the creaking of the ship in the surround speakers and the cannon fire from the sub.

Comments

• aberry89aberry89 California
    One of my favorite movies form one of my favorite directors. Can't wait to hear A.Ron nerd out!
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • I didn't like the Master and Commander series of books much. The Sharpe's series is from the same period with a similar level of detail and way more action. Also British army as opposed to navy.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    ElSkid, I'm finding on my re-read through the series that I'm skimming the action bits, and spending more time with the longer character beats. The espionage intrigue of Stephen, which largely went over my head the first time through, is fascinating here.

I do love historical fiction.  I've thought about checking out Hornblower after I make it through the rest of O'Brian's work.  I'll check into Sharpe's series as well.  What's this?  There's a television series starring Sean Bean?!?!
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited June 27

I was excited to hear that Master and Commander is the next commission that they will be doing. I have a pretty nice surround sound system that I put together and whenever I want to test out a different setting or show off the system to a friend I always pull out this Blu Ray and play the first 15 or so minutes to this movie. The opening to this really shows off good surround sound with the creaking of the ship in the surround speakers and the cannon fire from the sub.

Ha, I bought this specifically to test my parent's theater room after trying to optimize everything. (Research showed it's a good pick.) Good movie too. 

And I'm a bit of a Paul Bettany fanatic. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA

I do love historical fiction.  I've thought about checking out Hornblower after I make it through the rest of O'Brian's work.  I'll check into Sharpe's series as well.  What's this?  There's a television series starring Sean Bean?!?!
    I don't know if you've been made aware of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (I guess we did discuss the BBC adaptation on this forum...) but it's my favorite novel and I'm making you aware.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn

ElSkid, I'm finding on my re-read through the series that I'm skimming the action bits, and spending more time with the longer character beats. The espionage intrigue of Stephen, which largely went over my head the first time through, is fascinating here.

According to my late Grandmother, Sean Bean in Sharpe "wouldn't be kicked out of bed"
    Yeah? Well, y'know... that's just like uh... your opinion, man.
  • I've never seen this film, or read a single book. But if Jim and A-Ron are talking about it, sign me up!!
  • unreadunread Australia
    I really loved hearing you guys talk about this movie, it's been a favourite of mine (and my dad's) ever since it came out. I've only read the first book as of yet though. I just wanted to say that @A_Ron_Hubbard might like the tv show Black Sails, which follows disgraced Navy captain James Flint into piracy on the high seas. The sea battles and the life on board ship are fantastically done, and Captain Flint is like Jack Aubrey in many ways (except more...piratey). It's probably the best Age of Sail depiction since Master & Commander.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Australians claimed Russell Crowe when he was winning Oscar's and making great movies but he quickly reverted to a New Zealander when throws phones at people or performs with his shitty band.

We also claim anything that is worth claiming from New Zealand such as Crowded House/Split Enz, Phar Lap and Fred Hollows. 

We aren't the only people to do this, when Andy Murray wins Wimbledon he is Britain's Andy Murray but when he gets knocked out of a tournament he is Scotland's Andy Murray. 
  • Great commission as this is the number one tragically unrealized movie franchise of all time imho. I would add that any discussion of the Aubrey-Maturin novels needs to include a mention of the fantastic audiobook versions narrated by Patrick Tull. O'Brian's jargon-heavy period style writing is particularly suited to audio, at least with a talent like Tull treasuring every word. I can scarcely read a page or watch the film without hearing his voice in my head.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Excellent username, @DebauchedSlothbtw.