BURRITOS!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
so i've been listening to some older LWJ&A's podcasts and i love the amount of chatter on burritos. my 'dream' is to open up a taqueria and have it deli style, naming burritos after people ('the larry david? whitefish. sable. cream cheese. capers. onions? that sounds disgusting')..

so what would be in your burrito?
Travispodcartfan

Comments

• On a side note, did a couple semesters at Cabrillo College. Love Santa Cruz area.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 26
    Chinaski said:

so i've been listening to some older LWJ&A's podcasts and i love the amount of chatter on burritos. my 'dream' is to open up a taqueria and have it deli style, naming burritos after people ('the larry david? whitefish. sable. cream cheese. capers. onions? that sounds disgusting')..

so what would be in your burrito?

I love this idea! Unfortunately Santa Cruz is quite a hike (lovely city though I had a friend who went to college there and I visited a few times), but if it were anywhere near me you'd certainly have a customer.

I guess my burrito would go something like this:
    Soyrizo (I'm not a vegetarian, but I love Soyrizo and I would appreciate having my name be an additional option them), pepper jack, green beans, onions, bell peppers, potatoes, spanish rice, a sort of hybrid creamy pepper sauce (when I've tried to create this in the past I've combined Mayo and Gunslinger pepper sauce which I like but I figure there is probably a better way), refried beans optional.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I always thought it might be interesting to turn a Hawaiian pizza into a burrito.  So, the fillings would be cheese, ham, pineapple, regular bacon (because, bacon), plus some sort of white sauce instead of marinara, and whatever else you want to throw in.  The tortilla would have to be either grilled or fried for it to taste right.  I don't think a steamed tortilla would work for this.

And for the love of all that is holy, yes, pineapple belongs on pizza!  Gordon Ramsey doesn't know wtf he's talking about.
    TravisA_Ron_HubbardBrawnMofojones333
  • Michelle said:

And for the love of all that is holy, yes, pineapple belongs on pizza!  Gordon Ramsey doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

I don't watch Ramsey's shows, but if that is his stance he has no credibility with me. That's an outrage! Does pineapple belong on EVERY pizza? No, but it certainly has a place on any good pizza menu.
    MichelleBrawn
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    @MichelleThat's an amazing idea for a burrito.  There is a place around here called Currito that does something like this.  You can essentially mix and match ingredients to make anything from a standard texmex burrito to pan asian or BBQ to Indian.  You can get some pretty interesting combinations!
    TravisMichelleMofojones333
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited June 26
    Carnitas, onions and cilantro, sauce on the side.

Michelle
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Scrambled eggs, orange slices, and psilocybin mushrooms
    Travistrippy
    edited June 26

@MichelleThat's an amazing idea for a burrito.  There is a place around here called Currito that does something like this.  You can essentially mix and match ingredients to make anything from a standard texmex burrito to pan asian or BBQ to Indian.  You can get some pretty interesting combinations!

I'm thinking this needs to be the location for the next Burrit-up (or Burrito-meeto or whatever it was called, lol).  I mean, I know the last one was due to the Chipotle win/reward, but screw them (sorry, @Jim lol), this place sounds great! I wonder if they offer a similar rewards program?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    just looked up the place mentioned by a_ron, Fusian.. holy fuck! what the fuck? place looks outstanding! how is that not in one of the coasts!?

@Travis, 'the travis' would sell like hotcakes in Santa Cruz.

@Michelle, i was so not expecting someone to suggest a hawaiian pizza with regular bacon (because, bacon) chimichanga. aka 'the michelle'.

and @kingbee67, nice and simple man. basically a big ass burrito full of carnitas. sounds like 'the kingbee' to me! my bald move taqueria is shaping up!
    MichelleTravisMurderbear
    Chinaski said:

@Michelle, i was so not expecting someone to suggest a hawaiian pizza with regular bacon (because, bacon) chimichanga. aka 'the michelle'.

A burrito named after me?  Make it so!  :)  lol    FWIW, Hawaiian pizza is the *best*, especially with bacon on it!

Another idea for a creative burrito is Chicken with Peanut Sauce, filled with veggies etc.  YUM.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited June 28
    I guess this begs the question about the difference between a burrito and a wrap. I feel like wraps are more for experimenting with different ingredients while burritos are expected to have a Mexican flair to them.  
    Travis
  • I'm all about the New Mexico / Colorado style breakfast burrito - green chile sauce, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, bacon, cheese.
  • California Burritos are what's up. Carne ascada, beans, cheese, sour cream, and FRENCH FRIES
    Travis

I guess this begs the question about the difference between a burrito and a wrap. I feel like wraps are more for experimenting with different ingredients while burritos are expected to have a Mexican flair to them.  

hmm good point.. one side of the menu could have Burritos and the other side could have "Burritos" <air quotes>. problem solved!
    Travis
    Chinaski said:

hmm good point.. one side of the menu could have Burritos and the other side could have "Burritos" <air quotes>. problem solved!
    Thats what I was thinking! Experimental burritos and good ol' fashioned regular burritos. I assume you will have wet burritos also? I love those fucking things. I want to say the first wet burrito I had was near Santa Cruz, actually. It blew my mind. 
    ChinaskiTravis
    Garthgou81, yes sir! wet burritos are intense, like a morbidly obese enchilada! so i take 'the Garthgou81' would be a wet burrito? what would be in it?
    Travis
    edited June 29
    Chinaski said:

Garthgou81, yes sir! wet burritos are intense, like a morbidly obese enchilada! so i take 'the Garthgou81' would be a wet burrito? what would be in it?

God, I never thought of them as a morbidly obese enchilada, but that is so accurate. As for what I'd choose...it would be a burrito with THE WORKS! Carnitas, lettuce, jalapenos, onions, all covered in a red sauce and topped with cilantro and dollops of sour cream, guacamole, and a spicy salsa (spicy but not one of those chipotle after-burner types that kill the taste of something). 

Nothing too creative...so I am open to feedback. It could also just be called "The Garth", since really thats my name. I think it was taken when I signed up on Bald Move. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 29
    Wet burrito sounds like a pewp or a sex act. From a Texan this burrito convo between Cali dudes is fascinating. That's just a regular burrito most places down here. What they fed us in elementary school!
    bizmarkiefaderMichelle
    edited June 29
    weird my post isn't saving
    cdrive
    well that saved.. not re-typing everything so in a nutshell, 'The Garth', done! and @cdrive, too good! i have family in pasadena and mcallen TX, they have said the same to me re: burritos. so what would be in 'the cdrive' burrito?
    cdrive
    Trompo. The Lebanese inspired al pastor!
    hmm, i think i can make that a seasonal limited time only like the McRib. people will be like 'dude! "the cdrive" is back! it's that Lebanese inspired al pastor burrito! fuck yeah!'.. genius!
    cdrive
    edited June 29
    Shit, I just realized I didn't have beans and rice in mine; can I edit my order?
    you know what Garth, you got it. in fact, you will be the only to have 3 versions of a 'wet' burrito. 'The Garth Rojo Mojado', 'The Garth Verde Mojado' and 'The Garth Seco' .. you sir, are welcome!
    @Chinaski , you are amazing, thank you. 
    Chinaski said:

hmm, i think i can make that a seasonal limited time only like the McRib. people will be like 'dude! "the cdrive" is back! it's that Lebanese inspired al pastor burrito! fuck yeah!'.. genius!

lol. pffft "Alright alright alright, the cdrive is back!"  I actually share a similar dream / pipe dream / bar napkin business plan, but I love trompo so much I've thought a few times now about how cool it'd be to get a food truck and a vertical broiler and start slanging tacos del trompo outside one of the main bar districts in Houston.  Ah great now I'm gonna have to eat some trompo tacos for lunch today.  
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    One type of burrito I've been liking more and more is the wet burrito. There is a place down by Disneyland that was featured on Diners etc etc the California Crusin episode. A speciality item"the chamerro" a stewed beef shank. They show how to make the sauce on the show. I went there and enjoyed it a lot. On a return visit I asked if I could sub the gravy out and add it to there wet burrito. They were a little hesitant but they did it and it was so good. I would have linked the DDD episode but it is copyrighted. I wanna make the chamero someday myself.
  • edited July 8
    Am I still allowed on the forums if I prefer Qdoba to Chipotle?

I like cheesy burritos.......

Am I still allowed on the forums if I prefer Qdoba to Chipotle?

I like cheesy burritos.......

I've liked Chipotle recently. But when I lived back east, I remember absolutely adoring Qdoba's queso burrito. That thing was amazing. I think I'd still prefer it to Chipotle if given the option.
    i hung out with some buddies last night in San Francisco and god almighty, nothing beats a burrito in the Mission (I like El Farolito) after a night drinking.

burritos seem to be one of the rare foods that i can eat late night after drinking and not feel like shit the next day. it's like a glorious sponge that absorbs all the shitty hang over causing chemicals. 
    bizmarkiefader