Baby Driver (all the spoilers)

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
edited June 2017 in Movies
Directed and Written By: Edgar Wright
Staring people you almost certainly have seen in something before.
Another great Wright movie.
Spoilers by the way.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    A.Ron's show notes are out of control on this one. I think he polished off a bottle of Tin-Cup Whiskey in the theater. 
    GredalBee
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago

A.Ron's show notes are out of control on this one. I think he polished off a bottle of Tin-Cup Whiskey in the theater. 

Was the movie at the top of a rock-face?  And did he bring his own firewood?
  • JimJim
    edited June 2017
    Was looking over my watchlist last night after the podcast.  Completely forgot about Guardians 2 when I speculated on this being the most entertaining movie I've seen this year.  Guardians was definitely more entertaining.
    gguenot
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited June 2017
    Most entertaining and best are potentially two different things. Is Guardians your best movie of the year, so far @Jim?

Guardians is probably my most entertaining but Logan is tops with Wonder Woman nipping at his heels.
  • A.Ron's show notes are out of control on this one. I think he polished off a bottle of Tin-Cup Whiskey in the theater. 

I was confused by his reaction to the Thor trailer "spoiling" The Hulk. We knew from back before the film even started production that Hulk was co-starring. Feige even called the movie a buddy cop adventure in space.

• @Murderbear I'd have to look back through the list to be sure but it's up there.
  • I really liked the first 2/3 of this movie and disliked the last act. Is this a spoiler thread? Not going to elaborate without knowing.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Re: the show notes, awww, I really like the guy they cast as Han Solo. I think he's fantastic in Beautiful Creatures... (which is a great bad-good movie). 

Love Edgar Wright; this looks awesome.

Edit: LOL, just saw the news that he needed an acting coach. Oh sweet Jesus, what's going on on that set? I guess I'm that wrong about him. Oh what a nightmare.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

I was confused by his reaction to the Thor trailer "spoiling" The Hulk. We knew from back before the film even started production that Hulk was co-starring. Feige even called the movie a buddy cop adventure in space.

I wasn't aware of that, I rarely follow advance information for a film I want to see. If that's the premise of the film, and the hulk is in the majority of it, than I guess it's not that big of a spoiler.
  • Shit was dope.
    gguenot
  • So I loved evil Jon Hamm but hated the forced way they went about starting that. Baby goes on a long foot chase through buildings and everything and then literally runs into them again in a random parking lot? I could barely accept this in Fargo, I don't at all here. 

I loved the way Jamie Foxx's character was finally killed off but holy fuck did that take way too long. He's obviously way too violently unpredictable to ever be used in a heist that's supposed to be professional and well orchestrated, and the fact that Kevin Spacey's character doesn't seem to notice or care is utterly absurd to me and diminished his character's credibility even more.

Speaking of Kevin Spacey's character, what the fuck. They establish him as this ruthless criminal that blatantly threatens Baby and Debora's life, only to suddenly turn on a dime because of puppy love? Are you fucking serious? What colossal bullshit, it makes no sense whatsoever ( @Jim how in the holy hell did this not set off your "love conquers all" grievance???).

And while I'm no prosecutor, I can pretty confidently say that the deal Baby gets at the end is laughably absurd. He would be lucky to avoid death row and just get life with no parole or if he's REALLY lucky eligibility in a few decades but probably never get it. The events of this movie would have easily made international news, and Baby is the sole remaining person for the public to get their pound of 'justice' from, and we're supposed to believe he gets paroled in five years because he gives a purse back to a lady he just carjacked? Ridiculous. Debora I could see getting paroled in 5 years but she apparently wasn't even prosecuted at all somehow.

Just for those that don't know, even if you were just the unarmed driver that didn't even know your accomplice killed someone inside, you will be prosecuted for felony murder. And if that happens while committing another violent crime like robbing an armored truck, capital murder. Chances are the trigger puller would be the only one to actually get the death penalty and someone like a driver would get life, but if everyone else is dead and you're the only one to blame, and there's a morgue full of victims, most of them cops, yeah you're not getting paroled in five fucking years because you were an otherwise nice guy, Jesus.

Anyway I immediately saw what I think would have been a vastly better way for the third act to have gone.

Jon Hamm's character finds Baby's recordings and goes after him reasonably thinking he's a snitch, no time for this mix tape explanation bullshit, he and Kevin Spacey's character go after Baby. Hijinks ensue and Baby ends up recovering the tape and turn state's evidence to get Spacey & co convicted. That is a situation where I could totally buy him getting parole in five years, and doesn't betray Spacey's character. 

Oh and by the way, why did they waste Jon Bernthal? Why was he even in the movie? I thought for sure he would turn up again at the end but was left disappointed. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • @ghm3 I agree with some of the continuity errors you've stated and character flaws, but I'm not sure the movie was meant to be taken that seriously. I agree with Bernthal being a waste, but it's presumed he died, right?
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited June 2017
    @gguenot That just brings up another issue, which is how tonally uneven it was. If they really wanted to go out on a less serious note they could have just driven off into the sunset without the law catching up to them part, it defies the notion to not take it so seriously.

Overall I think it was a fun movie, but nowhere near as good as it could have been with some third act rewriting.
    KingKobra
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited June 2017
    Overall loved it, it's great fun, but I agree with some of the above, the end threw me off a bit.

i'm interested in hearing what Edgar Wright says about it, obviously to give consequences to actions but there's got to be a reason why he thinks thats important
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas

Overall loved it, it's great fun, but I agree with some of the above, the end threw me off a bit.

i'm interested in hearing what Edgar Wright says about it, obviously to give consequences to actions but there's got to be a reason why he thinks thats important
    Because there is no way that kid is going to make it 5 years without his trusty headphones to keep the tinnitus at bay. And regardless of how good he can drive a car and gymnastic and what not, I doubt he can finagle his way out of getting brutally mugged for all his commissary possessions on a daily basis. Who knows though, maybe the sweet sounds of forced sexual slavery and cigarettes getting traded can substitute for 50s Cuban mambo and whatever the fuck genre Bellbottoms is.
  • Would being permanently deafened remove his tinnitus though?
  • There's definitely some narrative issues with the last act but I kinda just skated past them because I don't particularly watch Edgar Wright movies for tight narrative or plot purposes I just watch them for the style. To each their own though, I can see why people would dislike this movie I just really liked it.
    edited June 2017
    Alkaid13 said:

Would being permanently deafened remove his tinnitus though?

Yeah, but I think the deafening was temporary. That could have cured his tinnitus, I suppose.

When it comes to endings, the darker the better in my opinion. Until the director makes it clear otherwise, I'm imagining that Baby Statham is doing the hardest, most excrutiating time possible. On a related note: if a Hot Tub Time Machine spoiler thread gets made, I'll have to post (excuse me, retype completely. thanks a lot for deleting everyone's hard work IMDB) my theory on how it's one of the saddest endings in cinema.

I wasn't aware of that, I rarely follow advance information for a film I want to see. If that's the premise of the film, and the hulk is in the majority of it, than I guess it's not that big of a spoiler.
    I think the first run of this one should be done blind. Just watch trailers, pre-release clips, and featurettes; and nothing else. Then podcast the night it comes out as if you actually went to see the movie.
  • @Freddy I totally agree about going in blind, the trailer  softened the impact of a few key moments, I wish I hadn't seen.

I don't know about Baby's time in jail being that rough though, my interpretation was that it wasn't easy but pretty soft in relative prison terms. He was out in a straight 5 after paying the consequences, I think the positive witness testimony scene kind of spoke to that, but also why felt slightly forced. 

All that said I really enjoyed this movie
    @FlashGordon Oh no, I mean they actually shouldn't watch the movie at all. Just pretend they did and bullshit the whole thing.
    Freddy said:

@FlashGordon Oh no, I mean they actually shouldn't watch the movie at all. Just pretend they did and bullshit the whole thing.

We would never do something like that.
    gguenotAlkaid13
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited June 2017
    Definitely not, that would be a total Al and Joe move, who would ever listen to podcast like that. Although if two such podcasters had some free time and saw a few trailers for a particularly bad looking movie they had no interest in actually watching, say a new Transformers movie perhaps, and decided to bs a review of said movie, I might be persuaded to give that a listen.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I wasn't really sure what to expect hearing it was a musical but this movie kinda blew me away. The first half was a shitload of fun but I couldn't really see where it was going, then the love story kicked in and it was sweet for a while, then built up and got really intense at the end. I'm a sucker for car chases and that first one was incredible. The choreography of the whole movie is brilliant. Edgar Wright was on Comedy Bang Bang talking about how he had to storyboard most of the movie down to the second since it relied so much on being in tune with the music and it really shows.

I'm not a huge fan of how Spacey seemed to have major motivation swings but all the other villains worked. Jamie Foxx's character was one of those guys I just hated the whole time and any time he was around an innocent person it was tense as hell. I don't know why they covered for him about shooting The Butcher, that dude was clearly a liability.
  • The ending kind of ruined it for me, even though the beginning was a ton of fun (after the initial music stuff stopped). The ending seemed thrown together and had a number of holes that made me go WTF. Also, the last shot was super cheesy, and IMO out of place. Fun movie, but you could have ended it at the garage scene and IMO would have made a better movie.
  • I liked this movie but I don't buy the relationship between Baby and Deborah at all. What reason did she have to be so invested in him? They hung out like one day and had a mutual love of music and road trips. That's it. I don't think I could name one actual thing about her character. I guess in movie magic land that's enough to fall in love with a person, risk your life multiple times for them and then wait for them 5+ years until they get out of jail
    GeomecChinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    tim_schu said:

I liked this movie but I don't buy the relationship between Baby and Deborah at all. What reason did she have to be so invested in him? They hung out like one day and had a mutual love of music and road trips. That's it. I don't think I could name one actual thing about her character. I guess in movie magic land that's enough to fall in love with a person, risk your life multiple times for them and then wait for them 5+ years until they get out of jail

that was one of my gripes.

i really wanted to like it but the more i thought about it, the more i was annoyed with it. initially i thought it was fine but since my rating is a meh.5. the first car chase was really good, but the other's were just alright to me. atlanta is apparently filled with a million cops that are dumb as fuck. the lead Ansel Elgort reminded me of a douchy cool guy michael cera. kevin spacey was pretty much well.. kevin spacey with an eye-rolling face turn at the end.

i'm a fan of most of Edgar Wright's stuff but he's kind of a hollywood darling that gets a free pass at times. i'm sure if some peckerhead like Brett Ratner wrote and directed this it would not be getting the love it's getting.

• tim_schu said:

I liked this movie but I don't buy the relationship between Baby and Deborah at all. What reason did she have to be so invested in him? They hung out like one day and had a mutual love of music and road trips. That's it. I don't think I could name one actual thing about her character. I guess in movie magic land that's enough to fall in love with a person, risk your life multiple times for them and then wait for them 5+ years until they get out of jail

It was a classic "love at 1st sight" deal. I've seen this happen in real life w/o love (from both sides) so for me it's not "too far off".
    Plus, like I said, they're kids in this film.  I totally buy teenagers having this kind of crazy, intense, balls out relationship, cause that's what they tend to have.  Adults can, too, but I look on those with a helluva lot more side eye.
    KingKobra
  • Plus, like I said, they're kids in this film.  I totally buy teenagers having this kind of crazy, intense, balls out relationship, cause that's what they tend to have.  Adults can, too, but I look on those with a helluva lot more side eye.

Ohhhh the stories I could give you about adults ;) although I tend to agree it happens much less frequently.