Unsatisfied With Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo

Comments

  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited June 2017
    So evidently he had complained about the sacked directors. In my head canon, this accounts for his bad performance. I don't know why they'd have to get an acting coach though... Jeez, you think that would have come out in auditions. Or if it's that bad, that they'd just fire him.

    I thought his performance in Hail Caesar was perfect, and I love him in Beautiful Creatures.
    Doctor_Nick
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 2017
    Rumor out there is Lord and Miller had him acting like Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

    Edit: will this be like Back To The Future when they had Eric Stoltz and then stopped halfway and reshot everything with Michael J Fox?
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I read elsewhere that even good actors need acting coaches after a shift in vision like this. I think it's probably too easy for those of us not in the industry to see this as "bad actor gets acting coach."
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Yeah It's an awkward false start. I don't even know who this kid is who's in the new film and I already feel bad for his situation.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I think Disney is moving way too fast. I for one do not want a new Star Wars film every year. Whatever happened to building up anticipation? Rogue One was excellent but they need to concentrate on the main trilogy and leave these standalone films in the "no" pile. 

    Of course this is going to be terrible, because you know they have their release weekend all planned out and they absolutely won't miss it because if they put it off they either have to cancel it or push back a movie in the main trilogy. 
    JaimieTElisa
  • @cdrive I also feel bad for him.  I don't think he was too many people's #1 pick for young Solo, which just compounds all the drama that's happening.  He was one of the better things about Tetro and Hail, Caesar! and he really looks the part in the promotional photo they released.  I think he'll be solid.
  • This is starting to sound like Disney's first big Star Wars failure but maybe they can pull it around by next year. I'm also not sure why they think one SW film a year is the best way to go about this, I think the majority of SW fans would be more than happy to wait a couple of years for a really great SW movie very 2-3 years instead of just ok movies every year.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, Frakkin, I'm starting to agree.  I figured with the Marvel experience Disney would do this right from the get.  Marvel went through a phase of hiring younger, more interesting directors and then expecting them to show up and do a goddamned job that is planned out pretty much beat for beat.  That almost never works.  They hire these guys to because they were famous for goofy, off beat humor from the Lego Movie, and then get pissed when they take forever, go off script, do a lot of improv, try to fall backwards into the story, that's not what The Mouse wants.
  • Frakkin T said:

    I think Disney is moving way too fast. I for one do not want a new Star Wars film every year. Whatever happened to building up anticipation? Rogue One was excellent but they need to concentrate on the main trilogy and leave these standalone films in the "no" pile. 


    Of course this is going to be terrible, because you know they have their release weekend all planned out and they absolutely won't miss it because if they put it off they either have to cancel it or push back a movie in the main trilogy. 
    They are a very large company and can work on more than one thing at once. The "main" trilogy is getting plenty of attention as it always does. Until these movies stop making large gobs of money they will continue. The SW universe is HUGE so plenty of stories to tell so, 1 movie a year isn't that bad. They also tend to release multiple MCU movies a year. So there is that as well.
  • I mean even if this movie is bad it will probably still make loads of money and be a financial success, all the prequels more than doubled their budget so I don't know if Disney actually cares that much if they're making money hand over fist. I just wish they'd take a little more time and effort to make some good films into great films. Also I fear one SW movie a year will eventually generate fatigue and might be unsustainable, but we'll see, who knows Han Solo might be a great movie and these fears are unfounded. I do think they'll probably be fine through episode IX.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13 said:

    I mean even if this movie is bad it will probably still make loads of money and be a financial success, all the prequels more than doubled their budget so I don't know if Disney actually cares that much if they're making money hand over fist. I just wish they'd take a little more time and effort to make some good films into great films. Also I fear one SW movie a year will eventually generate fatigue and might be unsustainable, but we'll see, who knows Han Solo might be a great movie and these fears are unfounded. I do think they'll probably be fine through episode IX.

    Someone copy this post and paste it into some random TWD thread
    Frakkin TAlkaid13
  • AMC for sure doesn't give a shit about TWD, they're just milk that cash cow until it burns to the fucking ground for all they care. And you know what? If that means AMC can run less successful but objectively better shows like BCS or Halt and Catch Fire and fall back on the money they make off TWD then I'm ok with that I guess.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2017
    you can all speak for yourselves but i want a Star Wars movie every year...I dont think its much to ask that DISNEY can make a good to great Star Wars movie each year given the material to work with. I mean they already doing 2-3 marvel movies a year. 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    My problem with a movie a year isn't about quality. I know Disney can make a string of good movies, it's just that waiting for Star Wars movies was always a huge part of it. We expect 2 Marvel movies a year because that's how they've always done it, but there were 16 years in between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace, and another 10 between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens. A movie a year cheapens the effect of what should be an epic cultural event. 
    Elisa
  • I don't think 2-3 Marvel movies a year is a great idea either.
    Elisa
  • Frakkin T said:

    My problem with a movie a year isn't about quality. I know Disney can make a string of good movies, it's just that waiting for Star Wars movies was always a huge part of it. We expect 2 Marvel movies a year because that's how they've always done it, but there were 16 years in between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace, and another 10 between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens. A movie a year cheapens the effect of what should be an epic cultural event. 

    I think they want to release films while most of the fans are still alive. Since Lucas is no longer in control there is no "need" to wait that long if a good to great movie can be made. To add, people these days tend to lack the attention to wait that long for the "next one". 1 a year keeps things "fresh" while not totally overdoing it. I don't see how a once a year "event" ruins the "cultural" side of it either. The real test will be once they get past this trilogy (7-10) which come out every two years. Personally for me it doesn't ruin things at all. I am STILL excited to go see a SW film every year.
    Hatorian
  • Alkaid13 said:

    I don't think 2-3 Marvel movies a year is a great idea either.

    They don't really have a choice on that front, though. They've got a very interlocked universe that needs to have a lot of characters and stories to coalesce and build into Infinity War and whatever Avengers 4 will be called.

    My hope is that after Avengers 4, once we're done with Thanos and all the mainstay guys like RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth are gone, that the MCU shrinks back significantly and these movies can be less frequent and less reliant on continuity.

    The problem with these non-saga Star Wars stories is that we're not getting what they promised to give us- which is more experimental genre films set inside the SW universe, but far removed from what we've seen before.

    Instead, we got Rogue One and Han Solo, and they're still threatening us with Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. They don't seem to have the confidence to really branch away from the formulaic stuff anymore.
    richtiemannElisa
  • @RyanReeseman its only been what 2 years? Typical plan is to get "main" characters "done" then once people are used to it begin to branch out. They only do 1 movie a year and I would expect for the 1st fee installments for them to be "main" character story types. The "promise" (I'll loosely call it that since I don't remember any promosie being made) is basically for the lifetime of the franchise. The expanded universe allows them to think vey long term.
    Hatorian
  • Alkaid13 said:

    The problem with these non-saga Star Wars stories is that we're not getting what they promised to give us- which is more experimental genre films set inside the SW universe, but far removed from what we've seen before.

    Instead, we got Rogue One and Han Solo, and they're still threatening us with Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. They don't seem to have the confidence to really branch away from the formulaic stuff anymore.

    Couldn't agree more. It was easy for Disney/Lucasfilm to give lip service to the idea of getting more experimental with different genres, etc., but when it comes down to it, they're afraid to "mess with the formula." I can understand their trepidation, though, as I think a majority of fans (myself NOT included) would not tolerate the tinkering, even in spin offs.
  • I saw Baby Driver last night and, if I'm not mistaken, the star of that film, Ansel Elgort was one of those considered to portray our favorite space scoundrel. I don't want to criticize Ehrenreich's performance sight unseen, but, I could definitely envision Ansel Elgort in the Han Solo role
Sign In or Register to comment.