Spiderman Homecoming Review - Trailer Talk - Jumanji - "The Young Amy Adams Type"

A-Ron was cracking me up with his description of the actress he called a "young Amy Adams type."

Her name is Karen Gilan, probably best known for her time as Amy Pond on Doctor Who...  But A-Ron definitely knows another one of her roles, because when you wash all the blue paint off of Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy, you're left with none other than Karen Gillan.  The Jumanji trailer does a good job of showing off some of her Nebula moves sans the blue makeup.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Are you fucking kidding me?! That's crazy!
  • Real talk, though, Jumanji looks so bad.
    ChiefPizza
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Nacho is going to be the Scorpion then!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Am I the only one who assumed Uncle Ben was already dead, we just didn't see it... again?
  • Yeah I just assumed Ben was already dead and "great power/great responsibility" already happened. I swear I remember a line from Peter to his friend about how he can't tell May because she would worry because she has "been through too much" or something like that.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Cory said:

Am I the only one who assumed Uncle Ben was already dead, we just didn't see it... again?

I think there is a line in a conversation back in Civil War between Tony & Peter where he alludes to something happening and having to help people?
  • CoryCory New Scotland

Cory said:

I think there is a line in a conversation back in Civil War between Tony & Peter where he alludes to something happening and having to help people?
    Could be Garth.  I've seen that movie twice but don't remember it, but it could definitely be there.
    Cory said:

Cory said:

Could be Garth.  I've seen that movie twice but don't remember it, but it could definitely be there.
    Okay I had to know, so I youtube'd it and Tony asks Peter why he does the things he does Peter says, "...look when you can do the things that I can but you don't and then the bad things happen...they happen because of you." So there are definite nods to Ben. 
    Cory
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I loved the actor playing Spider-Man and liked the movie, but I felt all the Iron Man and Happy Hogan scenes except maybe the boat set piece were unnecessary and drug the movie to a halt for me.  I believe I have a lot more Tony Stark fatigue than most people. 

The high school aspect was handled great and FYI, Kevin Feige confirmed today that the girl at the end of the movie is NOT Mary Jane.  She's a kind of obscure character named Michelle that has the same initials as MJ.

So hopefully we get more of this new character as well as classic red headed MJ in the future. 

• ChiefPizzaChiefPizza Akron, OH
    Is it necessary to have seen the last two "Amazing Spiderman" movies before seeing Homecoming, or can I just jump right in without missing anything important?
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL

Is it necessary to have seen the last two "Amazing Spiderman" movies before seeing Homecoming, or can I just jump right in without missing anything important?

Nope. Those movies don't have any connection to this movie and aren't set in the same cinematic universe.
    ChiefPizza
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Yep, Michael Mando's character is going to be Scorpion, as they reveal in the mid-credits scene. I have  a feeling that Vulture is going to help Spidey out in the next movie. Although I'm not sure what use he is without his wings, outside of being his Hannibal Lecter give advice to catch the bad guys from behind the glass.

As for Uncle Ben, Peter says something along the lines of feeling bad for Aunt May "because of everything that has happened to her recently". To me that very much alludes to something like losing a husband. But as the end scene suggests, Peter and Aunt May are going to have some talks in the next movie and I'm sure something will come up to give some back story to their relationship and their family history.
  • Homecoming definitely takes place post Uncle Ben's death, it's evidenced by the Civil War conversation with Tony and the discussions about Aunt May having been through so much. I would think that includes the death of Peter's parents as well. We didn't need Uncle Ben or a rehash of the spider bite, I think the exposition was done very well to explain all of this. I would actually like to know how Tony Stark knew Spidey's identity before hand. Freaking loved this movie.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

If you've seen Civil War, you're good to go, if you haven't, the intro does a good job of catching you up, although it won't be as funny.
    ChiefPizza
    I remember seeing a sound bite that mentions the next Spidey movie picks up immediately after this one ends. Which makes sense. It'd be weird not to see them have that conversation. 
    gguenot
  • I just realized/found out that the one guy that Michael Kenton obliterates wasn't Tom Hardy
  • CoryCory New Scotland

Yep, Michael Mando's character is going to be Scorpion, as they reveal in the mid-credits scene.

I felt it was revealed when we first see him on the boat from both the character's name and the big ol' scorpion tattoo on his neck.
  • gguenot said:

I just realized/found out that the one guy that Michael Kenton obliterates wasn't Tom Hardy

Nah he's the guy from Prometheus that looks a lot alike to Tom hardy. Poor man's Hardy.
  • Hatorian said:

gguenot said:

I just realized/found out that the one guy that Michael Kenton obliterates wasn't Tom Hardy

Nah he's the guy from Prometheus that looks a lot alike to Tom hardy. Poor man's Hardy.
    Yea you can imagine my surprise when I thought they were setting him up to be Venom and then...
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 2017
    Definitely my favourite Spider-Man to date. Was a bit worried about another high school Peter but they nailed it. Really felt like a teenage Peter compared to the Sam raimi version. Can't remember if the Garfield version was also high school but if it was it also didn't feel right.

Also loved just the little sly comments throughout like Gillfoyles comment about his last botched field trip or the gym teacher saying he has to show the captain America PSA even though he's now a wanted criminal. Cracked me up.