Celebrating Forgotten Gems

TravisTravis CA
edited July 2017 in Movies
So I was making a list of my five favorite comedy movies (+5 honorable mentions) today and I realized that I had totally forgotten about The Man Who Knew Too Little. A hilarious movie that I love, but I hadn't thought about in years. Made me think, what are your favorite forgotten flicks?

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 2017
    I always thought Big Red One was a forgotten gem.
    From 1980 starring Lee Marvin and Mark Hamill. Directed by Sam Fuller. A WW2 flick I liked better than Saving Private Ryan.

Also Tom Horn a western starring Steve McQueen.

I don't know if this is a forgotten gem but I been wanting to see Breaker Morrant for a while now.
    It is a military trial movie set during the Boer War in South Africa. The rule 303 line is one of the best movie quotes ever.

Travistrippy
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited July 2017
    Not sure on other folks, but I had completely forgotten about the film "My Cousin Vinny"

In theory it should have been crap.  Heck, maybe it was crap.  It still tickles me after many years though.  I stumbled across it on HBO GO a couple of days ago and watched it.  Dang, I laughed a lot.

Also, shout out to Marisa Tomei.  Brilliant.

EDIT:  HOLY CRAP SHE WON AN ACADEMY AWARD
    Travis
  • I really like The Mouse That Roared, sorta Monty Python-esque before it existed, and Peter Sellers is great.

Travis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I wouldn't say My Cousin Vinny is forgotten. They were talking about it on the Cracked YouTube channel this week and it's been in the consciousness for a while because some law schools actually use it to teach law. Go figure.
  • Not sure on other folks, but I had completely forgotten about the film "My Cousin Vinny"

In theory it should have been crap.  Heck, maybe it was crap.  It still tickles me after many years though.  I stumbled across it on HBO GO a couple of days ago and watched it.  Dang, I laughed a lot.

Also, shout out to Marisa Tomei.  Brilliant.

EDIT:  HOLY CRAP SHE WON AN ACADEMY AWARD
    MCV is one of my favorite comedies

Travis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    and i always felt this was bit silly. she crushed it, plain n simple.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/tomei.asp
    Frakkin TTravis
    not sure if this is 'forgotten' or a 'gem' but i recently re-watched License to Drive a few weeks ago and hot damn, my nostalgia ass was kicked!
    Frakkin TDeeTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited July 2017
    Chinaski said:

not sure if this is 'forgotten' or a 'gem' but i recently re-watched License to Drive a few weeks ago and hot damn, my nostalgia ass was kicked!

Years ago my brother and I used to have regular Corey-a-thons. We'd get all 5 or 6 or whatever it was movies they did together and watch them over a weekend. Good times, good times.
    Frakkin TTravis
    @Dee - i think the first movie they were in together was Lost Boys. before that they both had some stand alone 'gems'. Feldman having the bigger ones like Stand by Me and Goonies, while Haim had some fun and often forgotten flicks like Silver Bullet and Lucas.

Haim also played a great little shithead brother in Secret Admire. great 80's forgotten or never heard of highschool flick. i watched the shit outta that flick as a kid. kelly preston may have had something to do with that...
    DeeTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @chinaski Oh, I was an 80s teenager - I loved me some Corey!
    Travis